Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM

808 posts, read 1,674,996 times

Advertisements

I mean the Galaxy Note 2 is, IMO, as big as a phone needs to be. It use to be the smaller the better, now it's the bigger, but regardless, at this point, whether you want a tiny phone or a huge phone, you can have it.

And they are plenty powerful. I mean I can't think of a single app that will run better on the upcoming Galaxy or Iphone. Nothing. No app. Unless phone makers are going to try and make phones replace handheld gaming devices like the Vita and the 3DS, but those kinds of games, very graphic intensive, aren't the ones that sell in huge numbers, so I don't think that's the case.

Is there anyone whose like, oh man, the Galaxy S3 is just so outdated now and I need a new phone to run all these apps that are running slow.

It's not like with PC where you can legitimately have a reason to upgrade every year or two.

The only reason I would upgrade is when Android eventually says oh well the S3 can't run Key Lime Pie or whatever, even though it absolutely can, but they won't officially release it for the S3 in order to get you to upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,165,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I mean the Galaxy Note 2 is, IMO, as big as a phone needs to be. It use to be the smaller the better, now it's the bigger, but regardless, at this point, whether you want a tiny phone or a huge phone, you can have it.

And they are plenty powerful. I mean I can't think of a single app that will run better on the upcoming Galaxy or Iphone. Nothing. No app. Unless phone makers are going to try and make phones replace handheld gaming devices like the Vita and the 3DS, but those kinds of games, very graphic intensive, aren't the ones that sell in huge numbers, so I don't think that's the case.

Is there anyone whose like, oh man, the Galaxy S3 is just so outdated now and I need a new phone to run all these apps that are running slow.

It's not like with PC where you can legitimately have a reason to upgrade every year or two.

The only reason I would upgrade is when Android eventually says oh well the S3 can't run Key Lime Pie or whatever, even though it absolutely can, but they won't officially release it for the S3 in order to get you to upgrade.
For the average user, most smart phones on the market today are more phone than they will ever need. But technology and design will continue to advance. At some point, that Galaxy and Note and iPhone will look ancient, old. Besides, there will always be consumers who want the latest and greatest. The wow factor. The look at me.

As for Android, the Nexus is the only pure Android phone. All other Android phones are are just phones that run Android. Whether a particular phone ships with Gingerbread or Jellybean, and whether that phone will update to a new release of Android is up to the manufacturer and your service provider. Outside of the Nexus, Google/Android really has nothing to do with this.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:14 AM

808 posts, read 1,674,996 times
But when was the last time an app came out for phones that actually needs more power? In 10 years will have even faster phones but we'll be doing the same things, running the same apps more or less, the phones will be all the more power but they won't be doing anything that needs it.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,637,503 times
Quote:
But when was the last time an app came out for phones that actually needs more power? In 10 years will have even faster phones but we'll be doing the same things, running the same apps more or less, the phones will be all the more power but they won't be doing anything that needs it.
As hardware capabilities improve the OS and apps will evolve to take advantage of them, jut like they have over the last 10 years (in both the mobile and regular PC markets).

Having carried smart phones and PDAs for over 10 years now, the difference in OS and app capabilities are night and day. My first Palm couldn't play music, and didn't even have a color LCD. It was the most basic of PDA. My Pocket PC and Windows mobile PDAs and Phones got progressively better and faster with each iteration of hardware and software; the earliest of them could barely play small videos, or browse basic web sites ... today's phones can stream HD movies and run some pretty complex apps.

I personally think that there will be a day when phones will be capable of containing a full desktop OS that can be docked to a desktop or laptop KVM setup so that you can carry a full powered PC in your pocket, and convert it between desktop / laptop mode, and phone mode.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,505,415 times
Quote:
Although TODAY I might agree with you.
Think of this: 15 years ago we thought "4, megabytes of RAM? I why we would need THAT much?"
15 years ago: "I have a 14.4 baud modem! I don't need a 56k!"

As the hardware improves, and the software will follow. I doubt Angry Birds is going to be hot when the Galaxy S9 arrives. We will be playing Battlefield 6 on our phones by then. Or wearing sunglasses that are computers.
Hell my phone is on Gingerbread. I can run most, but not all, apps.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,162,826 times
I don't think so. I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to play battlefield on their phone. There is nothing that the S4 can offer, that would justify an unsubsidized phone purchase over the S3. Nothing. And the S2 is also a great phone.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,419,480 times
My HTC Evo 3D runs almost everything I need fine (except the NDS emulator).. this model is about 20 months old already.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,650,454 times
No.

I'm happy with the capabilities of my phones now, but I won't be truly satisfied with the hardware until smart phone batteries last a lot longer.

And speaking of capabilities, I might find use in the future for some application or feature that hasn't been developed yet.

So bring on the future, smart phone makers, and keep innovating and improving!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,162,826 times
Well yea batteries can be better for sure, but aside from what, I don't understand yearly updates. It's like, the software can't keep up with the hardware.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,468,427 times
In May we are eligible for a Verizon upgrade. I'm thinking the iPhone 1 for free will be "pretty much good enough."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones