U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times

Advertisements

One of the "problems" with Android is that companies will take older hardware and put an old version of Android on it and sell it for next to nothing... like the Samsung Moment that Slo1318 mentioned.
A $59 Android phone will not be as nice as a $200 iPhone. But spend $200 on an Android and you get a much better phone.

I think we would all agree; iPhone is much more restrictive and "big brotherish". This is both its appeal (to some) and its biggest drawback (to others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,148,944 times
I really hate the visual voicemail. Some voicemails - bills, work, etc, you just don't want to always have to see in the phone. With the iphone, you are forced to use it. Group SMS also exposes your number to everyone that text is sent to. I'm convinced Apple does stupid things intentionally just to see how dumb & amazed their customers are. Someone there has got to be laughing at how no matter what stupid thing they do, the fanatical following will override all.

Another thing, you cannot even view picture time data without downloading a separate app, then have to save the picture to that app as well. Just plain ridiculous. I'm looking for a 2010-era droid but the prices have gone up recently on ebay more than I've ever seen.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

56,597 posts, read 75,685,313 times
I do both
Android is not as good but cheaper

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Mines the opposite, had Samsung Moment (piece of crap) and first galaxy, not much better. Battery hogs, inefficient, crashed all the time. Got the 4s and have had NO issues. Apple phones are sleek and stable, plus I like innovative companies.

Plus this:

Android accounted for 79% of all mobile malware In 2012

Android accounted for 79% of all mobile malware In 2012 - Yahoo! News
So sensationalized it hurts

The "report" everyone is quoting from was from a confirmed report of 63000 devices. There are over 1 billion mobile devices in the world. You have a dismally low chance of "catching" any sort of virus and if you DO, it is almost guaranteed that it is your fault, either pirating apps or downloading suspicious apps from the playstore or amazon's store (or other sources). Even then, there are even A/V programs for these phones now, which are wholly unnecessary but do come with other features (I use avast for the various features it allows).

You're comparing a samsung moment and a Galaxy 1 to an iPhone 4S? Here, let me ask you, which is faster, this 1979 chevette or this 2010 Gallardo Superleggera?

Compare that 4S to my Note 2, you'll get your butt spanked.

Please stop this nonsense.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM

The reception/clarity on the iphone is not good as well. The earpiece is too small so even if it was clear - the sound is comprssed.

I don't like Apple...but Samsung makes dishwashers as well as electronics. I simply cannot trust a brand that makes dishwashers. It's the best way to get an annoying store associate trying to sway you to an expensive Samsung TV to leave you alone. Just mention the Samsung dishwasher division.

When it comes to call clarity, absolutely no one does it like Motorola to this day.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
The reception/clarity on the iphone is not good as well. The earpiece is too small so even if it was clear - the sound is comprssed.

I don't like Apple...but Samsung makes dishwashers as well as electronics. I simply cannot trust a brand that makes dishwashers. It's the best way to get an annoying store associate trying to sway you to an expensive Samsung TV to leave you alone. Just mention the Samsung dishwasher division.

When it comes to call clarity, absolutely no one does it like Motorola to this day.
motorola's practices on extremly slow updates and locking bootloaders makes me resist them.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
motorola's practices on extremly slow updates and locking bootloaders makes me resist them.
I haven't completely forgiven Motorola yet, but they have been fairly quick with updates recently. The RAZR HD line got updated to 4.1 about a month or so after release.
The original RAZR just got updated to 4.1. Still not perfect, but much better than the bad old days when they released with old software and then never bothered to update.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM

I dropped them after my experiences with my original Atrix. I certainly do hope they've been better.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM

11,288 posts, read 12,819,784 times
I've had an iPhone, a windows phone and just got an Android phone, the LG Spectrum 2 from Verizon. It was free. So far I'm happy with it, the call quality is very very good and well it IS a phone after all. The apps and how you do things are different from my old iPhone but after a day of playing with it, I'm used to them now.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM

I actually don't think the technology is quite there yet (although it should be) to make an across-the-board completely reliable smartphone with the reception of the old motorola flip phones and durability of the candybar nokia phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones