U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,148,944 times

Advertisements

Let me first clarify...this is not another Iphone vs Android discussion. I've noticed if you go into any of those forums, it turns into a Republican vs Democrat type debate and I'd like to avoid that. Just a few things about the Iphone, and wondered if anyone preferred Android after having used iphone.

I recently decided to give iphone a try, I had used android in the past, then went back to a basic phone. Now, have an iphone 4.

There's a few things about it that I cannot seem to look past. In no particular order, these are things I cannot overlook with the iphone (anything regarding the operating system also applies to the 5)

- The fact that you can never erase a contact unless you reset everything. Try it out yourselves. Get a text ready from someone in your contact list. There will be a blinking blue cursor next to it (do not use the + button). Start typing the first few letters of the person you erased. As you see, that person is still there (and their number), although you've deleted them from your contact list. The only thing you can do is reset the entire phone. Just to completely delete a contact. Apple doesn't understand there's some people you may not want to keep in your phone, at all. I talked to them about this...only one senior tech was aware of it, and you could tell they didn't like when anyone noticed.

- The green text bubbles. I really can't stand seeing them. The blue iMessage bubbles look better, but overall, I don't really like the "text bubble" concept to begin with. It reminds me of a comic book and looks cheesy in my opinion. iMessage also can use small amounts of data, and I'm on the minimum data plan. So, all my texts are green since I turned it off. Also, the space to text is very small.

- When you are in the text screen sending a text to an individual, if you want to go back to the main text screen, the "call" and "messages" button are right on top of each other. It's very easy to hit "call" when you only want to return to "messages". I typically erase old texts as well, so the "call" button is usually visible, it goes away when the screen has scrolled down. It would be nice to have a universal "back" button to just return to the previous screen. Sometimes in the name of simplicity, Apple actually complicates things. Not having a "back" button and only a "home" button. I like how the droids have the lower panel of "back, settings, home".

- Not being able to adjust the white balance before taking a picture. I know it can be done after, but it is not quite the same. I know there is at least one app that can do it, but the app in particular that does is sort of complicated to use and you have to choose that setting everytime you open/close the app. The app also doesn't save pictures to the camera roll directly, so there's another step you have to go through if you want to save them on your camera roll.

- Not being able to have separate picture folders, absolutely everything has to stay in camera roll as well. I don't see the need for having the same picture in different folders. It's excessive cross-linking.

- Having to use a separate charger all the time when I have several micro USB chargers.

- The 2 or 3 second transition to Wifi everytime you use the phone after it hasn't been used. Meaning, if there's are any small bits of data going on when the phone is "asleep", it's not using wifi. Certain ones don't do this, certain ones do, Apple wasn't able to explain.

- "Slide to unlock" could be a bit larger. On android, unless you've installed a custom unlock screen, the default unlock screen is a split second faster because you can unlock it right away after you pull it out of your pocket without even having to look. You just scroll down anywhere on the bottom half of the screen.

- The battery life could be better for talking. Even after I turn off all the apps you can turn off (I also don't use any push notifications, banners, location services, etc), I've noticed that it's almost 1% battery life for 2 minutes of having the phone connected to another line. Also, because the ear speaker is so small, even when it's loud, it sounds somewhat compressed.

- That you cannot log out of the email app. In Safari, you have to disable private browsing to log into your email, but if you use the app - then you're constantly logged in. However, you can turn the emails off (it won't show how many unread you have by the mail icon), but you can not log out. There's some paradoxical about that. I personally don't like always having an email connection wide open, especially if there's private/financial information there.

- Can't turn off visual voicemail. Like the email app, if someone gets a hold of your phone or even borrows it a few minutes (even a person you know well) they have access to these things. I prefer the old voicemail where you have to call and type in your password.

- The rigid design (no more curved edges) can look very obvious through pockets. Obviously, women can use purses, but if you're a guy into fashion and wear fitted pants or skinny jeans, even the Iphone5 being as slim as it is, is very obvious. The alternative is a belt clip, which never looks good outside of work in my opinion. There are some smaller android phones that have curved designs (several HTC models) and while being slightly thicker than the Iphone5, the curved edges make it appear less obvious when in your pocket. I also prefer the way it feels to hold a phone with curved edges.

- Smartphones in general are fragile, but iPhones seem extra fragile. The 4 has glass on both sides, the 5 does not. However, it's possible to buy a solid android phone outright without having to break the bank the way you would with a new Iphone5. Even the Iphone4 in very good condition still goes for over $250 on ebay. Yes, you can always get phone insurance and get a refurbished model, although they might tell you it's new. Basically, any iphone itself presents a financial liability to someone on a budget.

For these reasons, I'm switching back to droid. I knew there would be some things I didn't like about the iphone (holding the rigid design), but I didn't expect it to be so many as well. I actually wanted to like it, that is the strange thing, had to see what the hype was all about. I gave it a try, switching back to android soon.

I do like the availability of apps for so many things, and I think the phones look appealing, although it would be nice if there were a few more. I think passbook is very convenient, and I think FaceTime is nice. It's easier than having to log into skype via the skype app. There definitely are some things I like about the iphone, but overall, it's just not enough to get me to stay.

I'm wondering if anyone else has switched to android and been happier for doing so. If the "one size fits all" wasn't so present with the Iphone and you could make more adjustments without having to jailbreak it, I would consider it, but I don't think Apple will ever go that direction. I also must say, I'm extremely impressed they have such a following although there's some obvious miscues with the Iphone, not being able to completely delete a contact for example.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 02-26-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
I agree with with a few of those but #1 is no back button. The back-one-step button is in a different spot on so many apps.
Disagree on build quality though. The i5 is pretty sexy Imo.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,494,901 times
Everyone is different and there is no perfect phone for everyone. Or anyone, to be honest. We can find things we like on one phone, other things on another, and yet more on another. It would be great if we could combine them all into one phone but that will never really happen.

I used an Android 2.3 phone for a good while. Tired of a few glitches it had (more the phone brand/model than Android, though) and switched to an iPhone 4s. There are certainly strengths to the iPhone such as ease of use, so many accessories out there for it, it's app selection, and Siri is helpful if you make lots of use of the reminder/calender/memo features. But then it's not very personally customizable, battery life is "soso", and you're at the mercy of Apple's sometimes stalin-like strict nature in their app store and how they feel you should use the phone. So I switched to a Razr Maxx HD, with Android 4.1 (updated). Love the incredibly battery life, the screen, the customization features, but not quite to thrilled with the less refined personal voice assistant and sometimes haphazard way Android can be laid out in general. Overall though, it's more of a fit for ME, than the iPhone was.

So, again, for ME, going back to Android was a better choice. But I know people who did the opposite and are happy with that decision, too.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,577,385 times
I hated my iPhone 3GS back in 2010, which was eventually lost (I think stolen), and was not much of a loss in my opinion as it was on another person's bill. It soured me to Apple in general. I LOVE my EVO V 4G (a version of the EVO 3D with updated OS sold by Virgin Mobile). The only advantage to the iPhone over Android in general would be the greater accessory selection, in my opinion (as well as Siri, but that depends on the person). Of course, I dislike Apple in general, the way they do business, etc.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,297 times
Wait, I just deleted a contact and followed your instructions and I didn't get any remaining traces of them.

-I found an old contact I was ok with deleting but didn't delete them just yet.
-Went to create a text message and started typing the name of the contact just to make sure they'd actually come up as listed. They did.
-went back and deleted said contact.
-went back and tried creating a text again and started tying the name of the deleted contact. They didn't come up this time.

Did I do something wrong?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM

52 posts, read 66,060 times
I switched from a Blackberry to Android in December 2010 and never looked back. I started on Samsung's Captivate and upgraded to the Galaxy S 3 last year.
I am very tech savvy and am running a custom build of Android on it. There is nothing I don't like about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,876,829 times
I started back with windows mobile pre iPhone. Had the first two iphones. Loved them until i got my paws on android. I fell in love with android OS. I still get use of an iphone daily as my girlfriend has one and its just not the same. I love my back buttons! The iphone is a good device, but just not for me.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM

56,597 posts, read 75,685,313 times
i save money by buying cheaper hardware but its inferior to apple. i retain my small itouch bek of this.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM

8,604 posts, read 9,052,763 times
Mines the opposite, had Samsung Moment (piece of crap) and first galaxy, not much better. Battery hogs, inefficient, crashed all the time. Got the 4s and have had NO issues. Apple phones are sleek and stable, plus I like innovative companies.

Plus this:

Android accounted for 79% of all mobile malware In 2012

Android accounted for 79% of all mobile malware In 2012 - Yahoo! News

Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 66,328 times
what do you guys think is more secure, or less big brotherish? (if either!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones