U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,969,339 times

Advertisements

Locking a phone is wrong in that it's your property "they" want to control. Lot's wrong with that picture.......

Lawmakers take on legalization of cellphone "unlocking" - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM

3,441 posts, read 6,325,964 times
Despite what some think, I doubt it was ever "illegal" to unlock phones as it has been done for more than a decade. I have never heard of someone prosecuted for unlocking their phone. I worked for At&t customer service for 7 years and CS reps routinely offered unlock codes for eligible customers with the exception of the iPhone when I was with them. That was the only phone they would not offer unlock codes for.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Despite what some think, I doubt it was ever "illegal" to unlock phones as it has been done for more than a decade. I have never heard of someone prosecuted for unlocking their phone. I worked for At&t customer service for 7 years and CS reps routinely offered unlock codes for eligible customers with the exception of the iPhone when I was with them. That was the only phone they would not offer unlock codes for.
Interesting logic. Do you doubt that slavery is illegal as well since Thomas Jefferson had slaves during his entire life? Laws are not retroactive.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Interesting logic. Do you doubt that slavery is illegal as well since Thomas Jefferson had slaves during his entire life? Laws are not retroactive.
Interesting logic you used to twist my response and the thread topic. I stated facts as I see them and you brought up a completely unrelated topic to support your thoughts WOW !!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Interesting logic you used to twist my response and the thread topic. I stated facts as I see them and you brought up a completely unrelated topic to support your thoughts WOW !!!
I see that went way over your head. You're trying to use 7 years of your experience at AT&T to suggest that a bill that was signed into law 2 months ago doesn't exist. My response was an analogous to your logic.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,515,420 times
Edit: Nvm

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I see that went way over your head. You're trying to use 7 years of your experience at AT&T to suggest that a bill that was signed into law 2 months ago doesn't exist. My response was an analogous to your logic.
Maybe you didn't realize that the legislation never prevented manufacturers and cellular carriers from selling unlocked phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

56,576 posts, read 75,655,775 times
the cell phone biz is a giant scam. cell phone service cost much less in other countries and u get much more for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the cell phone biz is a giant scam. cell phone service cost much less in other countries and u get much more for it.
Don't forget that in the overwhelming amount of foreign countries there are no cell phone subsidies and those cellular companies can charge less for their plans. Most Americans either refuse or cannot afford to pay unsubsidized prices. Are you willing to pay more for your phone to pay less for the service ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones