U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM

857 posts, read 3,165,666 times

Advertisements

Please forgive this smartphone novice. I'm trying to unlock a phone. I have the code, but I don't know how to enter letters that are part of the code on the keypad. The phone is an android LG G2x. Googling yielded no help.

Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,703,733 times
Does it only give you a choice of entering in numbers? That's what I've got on my Android.

Standard keypads for phone numbers are the following:
2 = A, B, C
3 = D, E, F
4 = G, H, I
5 = J, K, L
6 = M, N, O
7 = P, Q, R, S
8 = T, U, V
9 = W, X, Y Z
It might work the same way to unlock it. Write down your code and use the above chart to "translate" it. For instance, the code "SNOOPY" would translate to "76679".

Try it once and see. Most locks let you try 3 times before it really locks you out. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Yes, it has the same number letter option like standard keypads.

Someone else suggested the same thing and I am leery to try the 'translation' method because it is a used phone and I'm not sure if unlocking has ever been attempted before.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Yes, it has the same number letter option like standard keypads.

Someone else suggested the same thing and I am leery to try the 'translation' method because it is a used phone and I'm not sure if unlocking has ever been attempted before.
Hrm....what format is the unlock code? Also is this a SIM lock code for unlocking or is it a PUK because you are locked out of your device (typically from entering the wrong lock screen password)

You have a few shots at entering an IMEI unlock code. But I would NOT try that idea above.

Although, I do find it odd that you received your code with alphas....? Are the letters just "p's" and "w's" followed by a set of numbers?

The letter P will appear after quickly pressing the star button ( * ) 3 times
The letter W will appear after quickly pressing the star button ( * ) 4 times
The letter + will appear after quickly pressing the star button ( * ) 2 times

Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM

Update: My unlock instructions weren't entirely clear. The letters in the code are identifiers of the type of code, but NOT part of the code.

That's what I get ordering from cut rate unlocking services overseas, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones