Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM

400 posts, read 1,505,147 times

Advertisements

I have a cell phone with caller ID block enabled (meaning no one should be able to see my phone number). However, there have been people and companies who have been able to pinpoint my location when I am talking to them there have also been companies that have called me back when we got disconnected.... How are they able to see my number and location? Is there some sort of overriding technology that some places have enabled????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,241,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
I have a cell phone with caller ID block enabled (meaning no one should be able to see my phone number). However, there have been people and companies who have been able to pinpoint my location when I am talking to them there have also been companies that have called me back when we got disconnected.... How are they able to see my number and location? Is there some sort of overriding technology that some places have enabled????
Can you clarify a bit more? What do you mean if you ID block enabled?Is this an app or setting? What phone? Or did you call up the carrier and tell them that you wanted it enabled.

The carrier really holds the cards in terms of how you are seen on the network and how it shows on a caller id.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Can you clarify a bit more? What do you mean if you ID block enabled?Is this an app or setting? What phone? Or did you call up the carrier and tell them that you wanted it enabled.

The carrier really holds the cards in terms of how you are seen on the network and how it shows on a caller id.
I called the phone company and asked if they could always block my phone number from showing up in someones caller ID. I've called other numbers as a test and my number or name doesn't appear. However, there are other times when people have asked "are you in or at X" or I called companies for information hung up by accident and they've been able to call me back although I never gave my number. So as a result, Im confused how some people can see my number

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,005,852 times
Commercial business lines have the option to ignore caller id block. All toll-free numbers ignore caller id block. If the person has a line where they pay connection charges for each call, caller id block is ignored.

Caller ID block is a mere suggestion to the service provider of the person receiving the call.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,241,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Commercial business lines have the option to ignore caller id block. All toll-free numbers ignore caller id block. If the person has a line where they pay connection charges for each call, caller id block is ignored.

Caller ID block is a mere suggestion to the service provider of the person receiving the call.
^^ Precisely. The only numbers that wont block are 911, 800 or general toll free.

This is assuming the OP is calling back 800 numbers which he/she hasnt said.

A tip would be to get yourself a proxy number like Google Voice and originate your calls from there.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,866,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
They can do *69 to call you back without seeing your number.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

thanks. makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones