U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM
 
400 posts, read 1,340,925 times
Reputation: 413

Advertisements

I have a cell phone with caller ID block enabled (meaning no one should be able to see my phone number). However, there have been people and companies who have been able to pinpoint my location when I am talking to them there have also been companies that have called me back when we got disconnected.... How are they able to see my number and location? Is there some sort of overriding technology that some places have enabled????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
 
Location: 92037
4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
I have a cell phone with caller ID block enabled (meaning no one should be able to see my phone number). However, there have been people and companies who have been able to pinpoint my location when I am talking to them there have also been companies that have called me back when we got disconnected.... How are they able to see my number and location? Is there some sort of overriding technology that some places have enabled????
Can you clarify a bit more? What do you mean if you ID block enabled?Is this an app or setting? What phone? Or did you call up the carrier and tell them that you wanted it enabled.

The carrier really holds the cards in terms of how you are seen on the network and how it shows on a caller id.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
 
400 posts, read 1,340,925 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Can you clarify a bit more? What do you mean if you ID block enabled?Is this an app or setting? What phone? Or did you call up the carrier and tell them that you wanted it enabled.

The carrier really holds the cards in terms of how you are seen on the network and how it shows on a caller id.
I called the phone company and asked if they could always block my phone number from showing up in someones caller ID. I've called other numbers as a test and my number or name doesn't appear. However, there are other times when people have asked "are you in or at X" or I called companies for information hung up by accident and they've been able to call me back although I never gave my number. So as a result, Im confused how some people can see my number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Reputation: 12847
Commercial business lines have the option to ignore caller id block. All toll-free numbers ignore caller id block. If the person has a line where they pay connection charges for each call, caller id block is ignored.

Caller ID block is a mere suggestion to the service provider of the person receiving the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: 92037
4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Commercial business lines have the option to ignore caller id block. All toll-free numbers ignore caller id block. If the person has a line where they pay connection charges for each call, caller id block is ignored.

Caller ID block is a mere suggestion to the service provider of the person receiving the call.
^^ Precisely. The only numbers that wont block are 911, 800 or general toll free.

This is assuming the OP is calling back 800 numbers which he/she hasnt said.

A tip would be to get yourself a proxy number like Google Voice and originate your calls from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM
 
1,521 posts, read 1,636,356 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
I have a cell phone with caller ID block enabled (meaning no one should be able to see my phone number). However, there have been people and companies who have been able to pinpoint my location when I am talking to them there have also been companies that have called me back when we got disconnected.... How are they able to see my number and location? Is there some sort of overriding technology that some places have enabled????
They can do *69 to call you back without seeing your number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
 
400 posts, read 1,340,925 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Commercial business lines have the option to ignore caller id block. All toll-free numbers ignore caller id block. If the person has a line where they pay connection charges for each call, caller id block is ignored.

Caller ID block is a mere suggestion to the service provider of the person receiving the call.
thanks. makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top