U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM

2,938 posts, read 4,422,780 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about why Microsoft is failing in the smartphone market. I was underwhelmed by the iPhone 5 and was actually interested in the Nokia 920 when it came out. Then I actually played with one at a Microsoft store in Pentagon City. This article pretty much nails it.

The Real Reason Windows Phone Is Failing – ReadWrite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
Microsoft only had one strategic opportunity: capture the enterprise (i.e., business) market. Offices overwhelmingly run Windows and when Blackberry stumbled, they could have made a case to IT departments that it would be easier to standardize everything on a Windows platform. Instead they delayed and by time their phone was developed, the market had diversified (and saturated) and they could no longer make that argument.

I’m an iPhone user, but I have to say I was surprised (even shocked) when the IT department at my law firm started supporting them. The conventional wisdom, that evidently Steve Ballmer believed, was that IT departments hate Apple and would never offer enterprise level support for their products. If left to their own devices (no pun intended) this was probably true. But the attorneys started buying their own iPhones and eventually the firm had no choice but to support them.

Contrary to the article, I think cross-device standardization is a compelling reason for having a Windows phone. I have a Mac, and iPad and an iPhone. I love that they all talk to each other and sync seamlessly. I would never even consider getting an Android phone, not because I’m in love with my iPhone, but because I’m utterly dependent on my MacBook Pro. One could make the same case for Windows. On the other hand, convenience and seamless integration are not concepts that one usually associates with Microsoft.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,058,877 times
Default Not helping

Nokia shutters Shanghai store as Chinese stay away in their billions

Nokia shutters Shanghai store as Chinese stay away in their billions ? The Register

Quote:
The story of Nokia’s decline in China in many ways mirrors its malaise on the global stage. Once pre-eminent in the feature phone space, it has been unable to win hearts, minds or wallets in the People’s Republic with its Windows Phone-based Lumias as more users upgrade to a smartphone.

According to some estimates, the Finnish phone maker now sits in seventh place in China, with just 3.7 per cent of the smartphone market in 2012.

There is more

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
I work in this industry and work with all platforms and various OEMs. So I am going to share some thoughts on that.

That blog summarizes it pretty well, so nice post! I also agree much agree with that very last paragraph: "Windows Phone may be a great-looking, intuitive and well-integrated platform - but it remains unable to convince large numbers of buyers why they should choose it over the market leaders. It's very hard to see how either of those facts will change any time soon."

I personally have been using various WP devices on and off for the past couple of years since WP7s inception really. I LOVE it, but based on the conditioning of the market and how users want an 'all you can eat' platform, WP just doesnt cut it.

In all fairness, Android wasnt exactly as groundbreaking as it may appear to be now through Gingerbread let alone that dismal failure called Honeycomb, which limited devices saw.

I can tell you all right now, that MSFT could care less about market share in near future. WE just happen to live in a society that is so quik to pull the trigger when its not something else that is already successful. There is some validity to it, but it lacks perspective.
The true holy grail of all of this is to integrate what MSFT or Google do best. Your data. I am sure many of you are seeing where we are heading in terms of portals rather than singular devices. Apple has this nailed and do it SO SO well. They have taken the 'mystery' so to speak for the average user that might otherwise get confused with Android versions, hardware specs, video cards et et.

Xbox integration, Office integration and many other MSFT features are still VERY powerful. WE have just gotten so used to them being corporate staples or 'normal' that its easy to forget what a juggernaut MSFT really is.
I can tell you that there is a lot more to look forward to in terms of features and who this will all tie together in maybe 5 years or so.
Licensing costs also make it less attractive to an OEMs bottom line when an open source project like Android is available.

Probably for the next decade there will be a big shift in productivity in how we use tablets or PCs and mobile devices.

Google and Apple are definitely taking more risks in different ways. But MSFT and Google will always have the data because they have the capture. When it comes to selling devices, I think MSFT is 'cooler' than it once was, but dont think they will ever be the coolest.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM

65 posts, read 64,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Microsoft only had one strategic opportunity: capture the enterprise (i.e., business) market. Offices overwhelmingly run Windows and when Blackberry stumbled, they could have made a case to IT departments that it would be easier to standardize everything on a Windows platform. Instead they delayed and by time their phone was developed, the market had diversified (and saturated) and they could no longer make that argument.

I’m an iPhone user, but I have to say I was surprised (even shocked) when the IT department at my law firm started supporting them. The conventional wisdom, that evidently Steve Ballmer believed, was that IT departments hate Apple and would never offer enterprise level support for their products. If left to their own devices (no pun intended) this was probably true. But the attorneys started buying their own iPhones and eventually the firm had no choice but to support them.

Contrary to the article, I think cross-device standardization is a compelling reason for having a Windows phone. I have a Mac, and iPad and an iPhone. I love that they all talk to each other and sync seamlessly. I would never even consider getting an Android phone, not because I’m in love with my iPhone, but because I’m utterly dependent on my MacBook Pro. One could make the same case for Windows. On the other hand, convenience and seamless integration are not concepts that one usually associates with Microsoft.
Why do you think they don't have the opportunity to capture their consumer electronic users? They're a leader in that space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones