U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,803,052 times

Advertisements

I got the SmartPhone for doing a lot of company traveling. Those days are over and although I still like the phone for size, weight, and awesome clarity, I would really like to remove the google stuff. I like the phone and text and a few good apps, but don't want it syncing with email or facebook. I keep network and wifi turned off and use wifi only when I need something. And it's old enough the OS will never have another update.

It does have a grocery list I can't live without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
With the advent of technology, you'd think they could come up with a battery that would make it through a full day without having to be recharged.

To answer your question, I think people are very used to smart phones now. They aren't the exciting novelty they once were.

20yrsinBranson
I have a battery hog 4G Android phone but it can go two days between charges if I don't use the internet much, or GPS.

Other than that, as Charles says, car and wall chargers are five bucks and it's not a big deal to charge on the go.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM

16,038 posts, read 20,186,586 times
I hate my android....It is not worth the constant hassle. I'm going back soon as my contract expires. I don't use the internet, it is too much trouble having to enlarge the pages. Half the time when I'm trying to call someone a whole menu comes up rather than just dialing the person I've clicked on...I could go on...

Last edited by JanND; 04-07-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
With the advent of technology, you'd think they could come up with a battery that would make it through a full day without having to be recharged.
"They" did.

The RAZR MAXX HD will EASILY go through a full day with HEAVY use. Maybe even 2. Easily make it 2 or 3 with light usage.
iPhone5 is better then any previous iPhone, as well, and SHOULD last a full day.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,895,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"They" did.

The RAZR MAXX HD will EASILY go through a full day with HEAVY use. Maybe even 2. Easily make it 2 or 3 with light usage.
iPhone5 is better then any previous iPhone, as well, and SHOULD last a full day.
Is it because the phone has a relatively low power demand or is the battery have a high mAh?

Still, my practice of keeping spare batteries is so easy and cheap. I don't understand why apple doesn't make switching batteries out an option. iphone users are screwed in that they have to use a charger when the battery gets low. android users simply remove the dying battery and replace it in literally 20 seconds.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,704,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it because the phone has a relatively low power demand or is the battery have a high mAh?

Still, my practice of keeping spare batteries is so easy and cheap. I don't understand why apple doesn't make switching batteries out an option. iphone users are screwed in that they have to use a charger when the battery gets low. android users simply remove the dying battery and replace it in literally 20 seconds.
It's because they put in a larger battery. It's also non-removable, as is the case in an increasing number of Android phones.

As for why? Make a sleeker device? Reduce the battery packaging to make room for extra capacity? Virtually no one buys extra batteries anyway, so why bother making it removable?

I remember being outraged when Apple first started doing non-removable batteries. Then I realized I don't care because I never remove the battery anyway. I'd much rather get 7 or 8 hours out of a built-in laptop battery, for example, than 5 or so hours out of a removable battery that I'm never going to remove.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
At some point, I feel I'm going to become so overwhelmed by always being connected, that I'm going to want to look for ways of getting by without having to be connected all the time.

I had a blackberry a few years ago and hated it. So, I went back to a regular cell phone, and was just fine with for a long time. I eventually upgraded up to a smartphone (S3) when my wife got her iPhone, and I haven't really used it to its fullest potential. Besides being able to look at facebook and play Phrase Friends when I'm out and about, I haven't used it for much anything else except for phone calls and texting.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,055,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But most apps are toy apps (I don't "do" facebook), not a lot of really useful apps other than traffic and email and calendar.
This goes back to Steve Jobs’ original definition of a “Killer App” back in the 80s. A Killer App is an application that is so useful and valuable that it, in and of itself, justifies the capital cost of a given device.

For a smartphone, the Killer App is the integration of a phone with email, calendar, contacts and GPS/maps. This is why Google kept turn-by-turn navigation off of the iPhone for so long. They knew it was a Killer App that would push people to Android.

Incidentally, the secondary apps, while more limited, are extremely useful in the right context. I love not having to pack a travel alarm clock, or a flashlight. I read news feeds while I’m standing in line at the grocery store, etc. These apps don’t justify the expense of the device, but they’re a great bonus.

Steve Jobs himself, so obsessed with the Killer App, almost missed this opportunity. The App Store for third-party developers was not part of the original design. Someone changed his mind, and made Apple a fortune.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ask anyone that has forgotten their smartphone at home in the morning. Most will go back and get it at the risk of getting in trouble at work for being late.
Sad, but true! If people cannot live without their smartphone at work, what are they doing with their smartphone at work? Whatever they are doing, it's probably not work-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
At home, I absolutely will use my computer for anything online-related. If I worked from home, or didn't leave the house a lot, I'd see no need for a smartphone.
Same here, though it is nice to be able to get my phone from my pocket if I want to check check my email or do some quick web browsing, without having to boot up my computer.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,894,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I would really like to remove the google stuff. I like the phone and text and a few good apps, but don't want it syncing with email
i'm surprised to hear this because most Android owners (I assume you're one) love the syncing with Gmail. you can turn off your sync settings and even with the pull down fast menu. if it's the alert chime that annoys you, you can disable it or make it silent or change it ---and still get sync. but if it's actual sync that you dislike, you can turn off sync easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones