Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Anyone else not too excited over the benefits of smartphone anymore? A couple of years ago having internet access anywhere was something I dreamed about but on a smart phone (and I have the large Samsung Galaxy Note) it just isn't as comfortable as a computer.

No regrets because it seems the price for 4G has come down in the past couple years. But most apps are toy apps (I don't "do" facebook), not a lot of really useful apps other than traffic and email and calendar. Sure, Google Sky is cool but it really is just a fun app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
It depends.

At home, I absolutely will use my computer for anything online-related. If I worked from home, or didn't leave the house a lot, I'd see no need for a smartphone.

But I have a job that has me travelling all over the place for work. I love my GPS. I love that I can look up a business, or the news, or some factoid, anywhere and anytime. I love that I can take and share photos, check email, write a job estimate and send it to a client, check product pricing, set up reminders or check my calendar etc, when I'm on the job or on the road. Also it's sort of nice for music.

That said, I don't do FB or twitter or games and agree with you that most apps are "toys." Also I think that the rush for the next biggest and betterest phone can get sort of silly.

I have an LG Esteem (which is a pretty nice phone though not as cool as the Galaxy) and pay $40 a month for practically unlimited 4G data. I'll keep this phone until it dies, probably. But overall, you'll have to pry my smartphone from my cold, dead fingers. I can't imagine not having one now.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It's no longer a novelty, it's become a standard necessity. People have already become dependent upon them, and feel naked without them. Ask anyone that has forgotten their smartphone at home in the morning. Most will go back and get it at the risk of getting in trouble at work for being late. When I go home on the bus there are usually about 60 people on board. Of those, 2-3 will be reading on a tablet, the rest are either online or listening to music on their smartphones. As recently as two years ago I would see half a dozen on a laptop, but not any more.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anyone else not too excited over the benefits of smartphone anymore? A couple of years ago having internet access anywhere was something I dreamed about but on a smart phone (and I have the large Samsung Galaxy Note) it just isn't as comfortable as a computer.

No regrets because it seems the price for 4G has come down in the past couple years. But most apps are toy apps (I don't "do" facebook), not a lot of really useful apps other than traffic and email and calendar. Sure, Google Sky is cool but it really is just a fun app.
Yeah I agree with you. I just got a smart phone - Samsung GS3 - it is quite feature packed and I spent and still am spending a bit of time to learn it all to justify the extra expense. For me, I really don't need it. I just wanted to be a part of the times - forward progress and all . I have downloaded a couple of apps and are learning them as well. For example, the note taking and calendar apps at this point seem like more work than writing. I'm sure its because its all still new.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 04-07-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Smartphone apps I could not live without:
Omnifocus (I literally do not know how I got by without it)
iCal (or whatever the iphone calls it now)
Collector (it hasn't quite replaced my $8k trimbles but its damn useful)
AyeTides (again as a field researcher I can't over state how useful this has been) and various other marine related apps
Attendance

Oh and for family stuff Cozi

Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I don't personally have or want one but i don't thnik so. From waht I see its just getting started prepalacing perosnal computers.Mt wife hardly uses her laptop any more really comapred to past.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM

I like to post on CDF and when I am waiting at a doctor's office or my kid's soccer practice or killing time elsewhere, I can't use the phone for posting - it's too difficult. And, most of the websites (LA Times, CNN, Orange County Register, etc) I visit most frequently have an Android version which isn't as rich as the computer version. And, there doesn't seem to be a way to comment on the stories like I can on the computer version of these sites. If I plan ahead, I'll bring my dell mini 10" laptop and teacher it to my phone so at least I will be operating a regular computer with a keyboard.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
With the advent of technology, you'd think they could come up with a battery that would make it through a full day without having to be recharged.

To answer your question, I think people are very used to smart phones now. They aren't the exciting novelty they once were.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Meh.

The reason I didn't get one until just about a year and a half ago is because I have internet at home, in the car, and at work. Not attached enough to internet to need to have it in my pocket 24/7.

So I can see people just taking it for granted and not being all "ooh, ah" about it now.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
With the advent of technology, you'd think they could come up with a battery that would make it through a full day without having to be recharged.

To answer your question, I think people are very used to smart phones now. They aren't the exciting novelty they once were.

20yrsinBranson
I bought three spare batteries and a wall charger for about $15 (I know, that's pretty darn cheap). I keep a couple of these spare batteries with me and swap out a dying battery around 4PM if necessary. Android.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones