U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 16,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
If you don't want a plan of any kind whatsoever, Samsung sells a Galaxy Player.

whats the galaxy player all about,, i heard somone talk about it but i didnt catch what he was saying,, too much noise in the bus,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,003,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSavingMom View Post
whats the galaxy player all about,, i heard somone talk about it but i didnt catch what he was saying,, too much noise in the bus,,
Works like a smartphone, has WIFI but no cellular capabilities. Its basically Samsung's version of an iPod touch.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
tracfone
Tracfone has a LG840g "smartphone" they currently sell. I don't have one but I've read a few things about it. It's not an Android phone, not sure what the OS is off the top of my head. I have heard some people say that they got the phone but did not activate it with tracfone, but only used it with wifi service and it was ok.

I'm using google voice now at home and was wondering about setting up a smart phone to use it with someday.

I was exploring people's thoughts on whether google voice was going to continue to be free after 2013 (by doing general web search). Some people thought that it might have a small fee ($2/mo) and others thought that it will probably continue to be free so google voice can keep attracting more users. But who knows.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,003,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Tracfone has a LG840g "smartphone" they currently sell. I don't have one but I've read a few things about it. It's not an Android phone, not sure what the OS is off the top of my head. I have heard some people say that they got the phone but did not activate it with tracfone, but only used it with wifi service and it was ok.

I'm using google voice now at home and was wondering about setting up a smart phone to use it with someday.

I was exploring people's thoughts on whether google voice was going to continue to be free after 2013 (by doing general web search). Some people thought that it might have a small fee ($2/mo) and others thought that it will probably continue to be free so google voice can keep attracting more users. But who knows.
The official word from google is that 'free' is ending
Official Gmail Blog: Free calling within the US and Canada through 2013

There have been rumors on the internet that they might charge annually for the service or per month, but again nothing official.

I have heard through the grapevine that it will be a mix, similar to Picasa service or Drive service. Where you get X amount of free space and if you want more, you can pay an annual fee.
So you may get x amount of calls or voice time, anything else extra will be fee based.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
BINGO. dontaskywhy nailed it.

The OP was confusing with regards to SIM or cellular access. Sneaking around the system was ok about 6 years ago before the 'smartphone' data plans really kicked off. Now you cant get on a network without being detected with carrier branded devices.

The possible only way around is if you get an factory unlocked device from overseas (so the i900 should work). The network will not understand its IMEI configuration which gives away its 'type' of device and typically carrier 'branded' devices that have been sold in retail stores, went through backend registration with the carrier via IMEI.
I have this problem with prototypes and AT&T many times and usually need to speak with a higher level CS rep due to the technicalities especially during the old SIMs to the newer LTE provisioned SIMs.

That Groove IP app sounds great! Keep in mind that if you do use the network for data heavily, you could risk setting off red flags.
Good luck
I have a friend that's been doing this for some time, so I'll try to find out more. I have no plans to get a prepaid plan immediately because, as one user put it, I'm cheap. (Gotta love under/unemployment.) So it may be a while before I can test it out.

I think it's pathetic that cell phone companies can dictate that you have to pay for a service that you do not want to use. If this is their business model, they will not get my business and I will find ways to work around it... or I will simply do without. I hope others do the same. Companies that don't listen to the needs of their customers deserve to go out of business. I wish all the worst to the American carriers. ;-)

As I said in my original post, I'm not looking to create a ton of internet traffic. I mostly use my current flip phone as an alarm clock, watch, and calendar. It will be nice to add a 8MP camera, camcorder, and wi-fi capable device to the list of functions. I won't be checking my email much (if at all), I don't subscribe to anything as pathetic as FB, I'm not going to be watching TV or downloading movies, and the most I might do is use Google Maps to help me cope with my friends' inability to plan ahead. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,894,430 times
maki, hopefully high monthlies are the carriers' way of investing in future infrastructure/future improvements (versus lining their pockets with profits). it would help us if we thought about their ugly prices in this manner (In that department, Verizon is the king of ugly). however, it's a bit hypocritical on my part because i admit i personally detest their high prices too. i am "trying to try" to have a different attitude about it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 AM

686 posts, read 1,478,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makilahy View Post
1) Use Google Voice at home for free calls/texting.
2) Buy a Samsung Galaxy smartphone with a ~8MP camera, but without a plan or carrier
3) Use free wi-fi hotspots for internet access, along with Google Voice and GrooVe IP (or similar) to call/text using VOIP at these hotspots
4) Anywhere else, my phone is just a camera, calendar, clock, MP3 player, emergency (911) phone, etc.
Galaxy Player is probably a good fit.

If you want to do cheaper, you can try one of the ~4" Android tablets (branded Emerson, Unitech, ...). They cost between $50 and $100 (depending on features and quality) to purchase and run Android 4.0. Their form factor is pretty close to that of a smart phone.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 PM

371 posts, read 845,380 times
hey guys I need a galaxy s4 with just data and not minutes, I just gonna use google voice to make/receive free phone calls with groove IP. but I also need to use the phone in Asia Thailand, Taiwan, China, Hong kong. will tmobile work with those countries? if not just spend 20,30 bucks to unlock it right?

should I just get s4 and data from tmobile store together or buy them seperately? thanks guys

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,515,351 times
I believe that I do basically what the op wishes to do, so let me explain.

I brought in an old unlocked phone (or you can use any ATT phone) to a real ATT store and asked them for a prepaid sim for it for one year at a cost of $100 for which they charged me the $100 plus tax and that includes 1000 minutes good for a year and unused minutes are supposed to carry over when renewed on time. I then went into a store that sells ATT go phones on sale and bought a Huawei Fusion and put the sim in. I then turned on the wifi and downloaded a Magic Jack application (but you can download any app you wish) and now can make unlimited calls while on any wifi but I also have the option of using the phone as a phone with the included 1000 minutes.

I believe that any android can be used on wifi to do the same even without a sim. My wife had an older android from Metro PCS without service and I set it up to do everything we needed while on wifi.

All types of unlocked cell phones can be bought at different sites such as Tiger Direct, Target, Walmart to name a few places that sell them and you can also buy prepaid phones at those stores and there should be no need to activate any of them if you only wish to use them while on wifi.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:06 PM

3,441 posts, read 6,325,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
hey guys I need a galaxy s4 with just data and not minutes, I just gonna use google voice to make/receive free phone calls with groove IP. but I also need to use the phone in Asia Thailand, Taiwan, China, Hong kong. will tmobile work with those countries? if not just spend 20,30 bucks to unlock it right?

should I just get s4 and data from tmobile store together or buy them seperately? thanks guys
Not gonna happen. Not only are you required to have a data plan, you would be required to have a voice plan with any of US postpaid carriers. If using a GSM carrier like At&t or T-mobile, you can use a foreign SIM while traveling as long as the phone is unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones