U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,329,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post

I believe that any android can be used on wifi to do the same even without a sim. My wife had an older android from Metro PCS without service and I set it up to do everything we needed while on wifi.
An unlocked GSM phone can be used on wifi only for making calls using service like Skype and Vonage without a SIM card. It won't be able to send/rcv text or MMS on Wifi. It has nothing to do with it being an Android device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM

371 posts, read 845,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Not gonna happen. Not only are you required to have a data plan, you would be required to have a voice plan with any of US postpaid carriers. If using a GSM carrier like At&t or T-mobile, you can use a foreign SIM while traveling as long as the phone is unlocked.

Oh I gonna get the phone by itself, then get tmobile prepaid 30 dollars unlimited data thing

Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM

32,775 posts, read 33,738,338 times
Quote:
Doesn't quite work like you explained. Cellular carriers can and will detect you are using a smart phone when connected to the network. They will require a data plan with a smart phone and can automatically add the missing billable feature. I worked for a GSM cellular carrier as a CS rep for 7 years so I have a little insight.
I have a smartphone that I purchased outside of USA. I am now using it with my American cellular carrier. I never had a data plan before and don't have one now. No data feature/plan has been automatically to the bill.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,329,909 times
If the phone is not recognized by the carrier, such as some international devices then you are correct. However, a phone sold in the US won't fool the system in the same way. Most users do not purchase phones from overseas, they do it domestically. Let's not split hairs now.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
As far as FREE, that wont be happening after this year from Google. They are going to be charging fees to use their voice service beginning in 2014.
Link?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM

32,775 posts, read 33,738,338 times
Quote:
If the phone is not recognized by the carrier, such as some international devices then you are correct. However, a phone sold in the US won't fool the system in the same way. Most users do not purchase phones from overseas, they do it domestically. Let's not split hairs now.
I didn't realize that and now I am even happier that I happened to purchase a smartphone outside the USA.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Link?
Or they can announce in December they are keeping it free for 2014
Google Voice U.S. and Canada domestic calls to remain free in 2013

Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM

My friend just upgraded her smartphone and gave me her old one. It's an LG Marquee with Android 2.3. I've been looking for someone's hand-me-down smartphone to just have one to play with.

I don't plan to get service for this phone, just use it for wifi and use the camera, GPS (load background maps onto it), etc. I have a cheap Tracfone flip phone for the few calls I really need to make.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet so I am familiar with the Android system.

I use Google Voice at home with an Obi100 and I may load the Talkatone app on the Marquee to make calls on wifi. I know this option is going away in May 2014.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM

I just want to update my previous post. I've had this smartphone for a week or so now and have had time to play with it. I am using it for the exact things that the original poster wanted to use a smartphone for. It works great! And for $0 cost.

It only has Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread?) in it but works almost as fast as my 1st gen Nexus 7 (Kit Kat 4.4). I have two email accts and my FB acct set up on it. Wifi works well at home and at my office. I haven't tried it anywhere else yet.

I put Talkatone and GrooveIP on it and made a couple test calls with my Google Voice number and it seemed to be fine to make calls on wifi.

I did order a couple new batteries for it from ebay ($5 each). If you are looking for a phone to use as a device battery life may be important. As I understand it, some phones may not have easily swappable batteries. Fortunately this LG Marquee does. (FYI I looked on ebay and you can get a used LG Marquee for about $50; one with a bad ESN would be great and maybe cheaper.)

I set it airplane mode so it won't keep looking for a cell signal and waste battery life.

I also got a 32gb mSD card on ebay ($13).

The phone has a 5mp camera, which is nice. I haven't used it much yet.

The GPS seems to work great. I'm researching the GPS apps that I want to try and load all their offline maps so I can use this while travelling and hiking. I loaded the GPS Test app and I can acquire several satellite signals within a minute while sitting inside my house with, ~10m accuracy (close enough for travelling around). With the right apps I should be able to use it like my Garmin Dakota GPS, marking waypoints and tracks and then exporting to .kml or .gpx files. (I work in GIS so I love maps and mapping.) I may even be able to geotag pictures.

It's an amazing little device.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM

36 posts, read 102,059 times
Eofelis,

I sent you a PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones