U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,895,661 times

Advertisements

If for whatever reason, facebook and myspace were never invented, do you think smartphone use would be significantly less popular?

Subjective but whenever I see someone on their smartphone it seems they are on facebook.

I'd like to know what percent of the time people who are using their phone for other than a phone conversation are on facebook. I wonder if it is 30% or even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,474 times
They'd be slightly less popular but not at all scarce, I think. These phones do so much and even without facebook, there are twenty thousand other apps that would take up the "wasted time" people spend on it.

Myspace was dead before smarphones really got traction, it wasn't a big contributor.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,003,577 times
For me 0% and I dont think its about being mutually exclusive necessarily. I use the phone mostly for business related stuff. I dont have a FB account and use the phone for email, sms, browsing and photos otherwise.

However, social networking is only further enabled via cell phones. But cell phones have grown to support these types of features more dynamically over the years even though they were used more often on a PC (I dont have stats on hand). While it would seem weird to not have some kind of social networking integration NOW, 8 years ago it wasnt really even on the radar when myspace was 'in'.

Smartphones have been around for quite some time, but even in the early years, browsing web pages and such were not fully adopted for optimized and formatted for viewing. You would be hard pressed now, to find a popular website that ISNT formatted for mobile browsing. Blackberry and Apple really pushed that a bit.

Apple did a superb job at really streamlining how a smartphone can be used not only in software design but actual business model on several fronts to push development around it. Much the same way they did with the mp3 player up until then.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM

14,476 posts, read 16,523,806 times
I rarely use facebook on my phone (and pretty not all that often period). I had the notifications on for all of about 30 minutes when I first got a smartphone... way too annoying.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
Facebook is a pain, too many people that have nothing better to do always posting useless crap. If it went away or never existed it wouldn't matter, there just wouldn't be as many 12 year olds with smartphones.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
I rarely use facebook on my smartphone (or anywhere for that matter). Smartphones were catching on before Facebook. Certainly, Apple made them more popular than ever... but I don't think that Facebook made smartphones big. In white collar offices , everyone already had Blackberrys, Treos, and Windows Mobile phones prior Facebook.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

14,476 posts, read 16,523,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I rarely use facebook on my smartphone (or anywhere for that matter). Smartphones were catching on before Facebook. Certainly, Apple made them more popular than ever... but I don't think that Facebook made smartphones big. In white collar offices , everyone already had Blackberrys, Treos, and Windows Mobile phones prior Facebook.
Yeah, it's more the opposite. Smartphones made Facebook popular (on Smartphones). This has presented a problem from Facebook... how do they get ads onto the tiny screens without being so obtrusive no one uses it?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, it's more the opposite. Smartphones made Facebook popular (on Smartphones). This has presented a problem from Facebook... how do they get ads onto the tiny screens without being so obtrusive no one uses it?
They have a fix for that.

https://www.facebook.com/home#home

I personally don't think that FB and MySpace have increased the popularity of smartphones. I'm well into middle-age territory so few of my friends or acquaintances do FB (I certainly don't) but almost all have smartphones. I've had one starting with a BlackBerry about six? years ago and use it for all sorts of things (including going online) and wouldn't want to be without one now.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:31 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,895,661 times
Realize the people who post in the City Data technology/smartphone forum (you guys) are probably an order of magnitude more intelligent and educated than the typical smartphone owner. When I read "I don't do facebook.....so it wouldn't matter.." I really wonder. Your typical smartphone user is 18, female, sitting at Starbucks, reading about her friends new makeup kit or she's 29, married, reading about her single friend's data last night, or other gossipy stuff.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
This^

No one buys a phone FOR Facebook. You buy a phone and then realize "o cool, I can Facebook on my phone!"
Now today that so many people have already had Facebook on a phone it may get someone to buy the HTC FIRST (Facebook geared phone) but I don't see that being very many people. Even the most ardent Facebook fans get annoyed by Facebook being so intrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones