U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Samsung Galaxy Note user here, and I have to say I do miss my Blackberry.

The Galaxy is s-l-o-w and glitchy, especially the Facebook app. It keeps doing a "force close" and "not responding". Calls are fine; anything else is too time consuming and all the waiting for a response just runs the battery down.

Taking it to the AT&T store was a total waste of time. If I wasn't there to BUY something, they weren't interested. So now I just wait for the contract to run out so I can get a new Blackberry and a different carrier.
The original Note is a solid phone, shouldn't be giving you freezing issues. Have you tried a factory reset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,708,749 times
I LOVED my Blackberry in the past. Or Blackberries, because I had more than one. In fact, I am currently considering switching from my touch screen android Samsung (Intercept I think) phone to a Blackberry curve if it is possible with my phone service. Call me a freak but I don't care about apps, for the most part, and I am one of the rare folks who honestly hates a touch screen. I am always accidentally loading the wrong damned thing. My Blackberry was always reliable, never locking up and screwing up, and did what I needed it to do.

I am a bare bones phone user though: I want texting that is easy (full keyboard), and maybe the ability to use the phone as a GPS and music player and I am happy. Thrilled even. So all the other stuff my phone does just slows it down and annoys me, honestly. I'd go back to my BB any day. I am not a person who spends hundreds on a phone though, so that probably explains why I am unhappy with my Samsung (it was $75 refurbished).

Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Samsung Galaxy Note user here, and I have to say I do miss my Blackberry.

The Galaxy is s-l-o-w and glitchy, especially the Facebook app. It keeps doing a "force close" and "not responding". Calls are fine; anything else is too time consuming and all the waiting for a response just runs the battery down.

Taking it to the AT&T store was a total waste of time. If I wasn't there to BUY something, they weren't interested. So now I just wait for the contract to run out so I can get a new Blackberry and a different carrier.
It remains to be seen if the new BB10 OS and its apps (a huge portion of which are just repackaged Android apps) are any better. I remember plenty of battery pulling with my old Curve, but that hopefully is no indication of what BB 10 is like.

As for Android - slow and glitchy is the norm. Every Android phone I've had (going back to the 1.x days all the way to Jelly Bean) has been slow and glitchy. Every time I mention it, someone responds that it shouldn't be doing that and there must be some totally abnormal problem that every single Android device I've ever owned just happens to have. The usual suggestions are factory reset (which of course doesn't fix it - the things are broken straight out of the box) or hardware problem (apparently every single manufacturer of Android devices has awful quality control).

I guess I'm backtracking a little from my earlier post. BB10 could offer stability and speed, which would be a huge improvement over Android. But then I'm still left asking what it offers that iOS and Windows Phone don't.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM

6,106 posts, read 8,550,904 times
I had the Curve, and then the Bold. I loved both, but switched to the iPhone because I wanted the apps and I wanted to be able to actually surf the internet on my phone. I really like my iPhone, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying out the new BB if I thought it was comparable.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

I guess I'm backtracking a little from my earlier post. BB10 could offer stability and speed, which would be a huge improvement over Android. But then I'm still left asking what it offers that iOS and Windows Phone don't.
I'm naively hoping it offers everything they do at a more reasonable price.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:24 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm naively hoping it offers everything they do at a more reasonable price.
The actual service plan? Not gonna happen.

The relatively trivial amount of money you have to fork over up front for the device on contract? It's hard to do better than free.

The price of the device without a contract? Also not going to happen. The Z10 costs just as much as other smartphones, as one might expect, since everyone is using similar hardware.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM

750 posts, read 1,279,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
The original Note is a solid phone, shouldn't be giving you freezing issues. Have you tried a factory reset?
If I can figure out how to do that, I will. Definitely.

Of course, I need to go online and find out how, because the phone came with no instructions. I've probably messed it up, trying to figure stuff out on my own! I am not technologically gifted and lack basic understanding of terms, so it's slow going at the best of times. The Note just seems so much more complicated than the Blackberry Torch.

The ONLY thing I like about the Note is the size of the screen.

Last edited by jsqueezer; 04-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: details

Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
In the U.S., perhaps, but who cares. Blackberry has long stated that their sales goal, at least in the short term, is to edge out Microsoft, and they aren't doing too shabby with that, either. Blackberry has also stated their immediate goal, as far as customers are concerned, is to retain their current customer base...not gain new "converts"...before moving forward towards a larger slice of cell phone pie.

My contract is up May 28, and I have a new Z10 on the way.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
I am having BlackBerry Z10 and i love its Screenshot Wallpaper Application. With this blackberry application you can take screen shots with just one click. All the other BlackBerry Applications are also adorable.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,572,775 times
I have been using a z10 for a couple of months now. In my opinion, it is the best smartphone I have ever used. For the haters: please note I said best smartphone I have ever used. I am not saying the z10 is the best smartphone on the market. I'll write a review of it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones