Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,528,901 times

Advertisements

Is each version of Android for both phones and tablets? This list suggests 3.0 was just for tablets.

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got an HTC Inspire phone a year ago since it was free. This phone was first released in Feb. 2011. That's why I have an older Android.

If you go to BestBuy and pay full price for the latest phones, will they have the latest Android versions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
3.##, aka Honeycomb was designed and rolled out to Tablets only.
If you go to BB and pay full price you will get at least one of the 2 latest versions which are:
ICE CREAM SANDWICH (4.0)
and JELLY BEAN (4.1).
You want a phone with JELLY BEAN.
All the current generation Samsung, Motorola and LG Phones should have Jelly Bean.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
I have a 2 year old Motorola Droid Bionic that was shipped with Gingerbread (version 3.x). I was able to upgrade it to Ice Cream Sandwich several moths ago, and recently updated to 4.1/Jellybean. No rooting was needed; the updates downloaded and installed automatically.

You might find a few older phones on the shelves at Best Buy and similar stores that have Ice Cream Sandwich, but you should be able to update these phones to Jelly Bean without any hassle (and with rooting the phone and voiding the warranty.)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I have a 2 year old Motorola Droid Bionic that was shipped with Gingerbread (version 3.x). I was able to upgrade it to Ice Cream Sandwich several moths ago, and recently updated to 4.1/Jellybean. No rooting was needed; the updates downloaded and installed automatically.
The only reason that these updates were available was because Motorola and Verizon created the updates and pushed them (Bionic owner here as well).

Most phones that age won't ever get these updates, and it requires both the handset manufacturer and the carrier to build and push the updates.

The Bionic was sold as a high end phone with a lot of high end accessories, and with a promise that it would get ICS. It was soon overshadowed by the various RAZR versions and forgotten. Motorola got a lot of backlash from this, and eventually admitted that they had done a poor job of supporting the phone, and made an effort to get it updated.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is each version of Android for both phones and tablets? This list suggests 3.0 was just for tablets.

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got an HTC Inspire phone a year ago since it was free. This phone was first released in Feb. 2011. That's why I have an older Android.

If you go to BestBuy and pay full price for the latest phones, will they have the latest Android versions??
It will all depend on which phone you get. The Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One both come with Android 4.2.2, the latest build. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus and well as the Nexus 4 both have Android 4.2.2. as well. In older to assure yourself of always getting the latest versions of Android, I suggest you buy a Nexus device. Most manufacturers take their time rolling out the latest updates to their phones, and then you have to deal with the carriers as well. Rumor has it that Google is going to release an updated version of the Nexus 4 that includes 32GB of internal memory and it will be equipped with LTE radios. So if you're in the market for a phone, you may want to wait a few weeks and see what happens. That of course is assuming you want to go the Nexus route.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The only reason that these updates were available was because Motorola and Verizon created the updates and pushed them (Bionic owner here as well).

Most phones that age won't ever get these updates, and it requires both the handset manufacturer and the carrier to build and push the updates.

The Bionic was sold as a high end phone with a lot of high end accessories, and with a promise that it would get ICS. It was soon overshadowed by the various RAZR versions and forgotten. Motorola got a lot of backlash from this, and eventually admitted that they had done a poor job of supporting the phone, and made an effort to get it updated.
Don't forget that Motorola did a complete redesign of the handset. It was announced, and shown, at MWC in 2011(in February of that year) and then phone did not end up being released until early September I believe. Motorola does not have the best track record in the last couple of years with supporting devices. Especially when you consider they released the Droid Razr a couple of months after the Bionic and even Verizon pushed the Razr hard, and even pushed back the launch of the Galaxy Nexus because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones