U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,494,901 times

Advertisements

Dumb question, but anyone know of a site that shows an iPhone 4s home screen where you can click the apps and settings to simulate maneuvering around an iPhone?

I traded out my iPhone a while back for a newer Android and now some relatives went out this week and got iPhones. I want to be able to walk them through a few things and it's a lot easier if I had a phone (or a "simulated" phone) in front of me that I can use while they're using theirs, to talk them through some stuff. If anyone is aware of a simulation web site or even an app you can get (for Android) that does this let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Virtual iPhone Version4.2

Not that it really needs to be a 4S. They haven't changed the overall look..... ever.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Virtual iPhone Version4.2

Not that it really needs to be a 4S. They haven't changed the overall look..... ever.
Looks very different than the current version.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Very different? O yea, that's right. The iPhone5 has an extra row available for icons.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Quote:
Very different? O yea, that's right. The iPhone5 has an extra row available for icons.
revolutionary, man, revolutionary

Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
When I click the icons they don't do the same thing that they do on my phone. Not only that, but when i click them the programs they open look almost nothing like iOS 6.x. I get what you're trying to say, but there are significant differences.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I click the icons they don't do the same thing that they do on my phone. Not only that, but when i click them the programs they open look almost nothing like iOS 6.x. I get what you're trying to say, but there are significant differences.
The 3GS, the 4, 4S and 5 all run the EXACT same OS. There is ZERO difference.

Maybe that simulator is running iOS4 or something but come on... iOS has changed so little since iOS1 it's pretty pathetic. Not even the biggest Apple fan can argue that.
And it isn't only my opinion, to wit:

"The worry is that drastic changes to applications and functions that have remained relatively stagnant since 2007 — things like email and calendars – could push back the release of iOS 7."
Y'know since 2007. When the iPhone debuted...

Email and Calendar apps overhaul to be part of iOS 7 | iSource

iOS7 is coming and look to be changing things up. Finally.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

Quote:
The 3GS, the 4, 4S and 5 all run the EXACT same OS. There is ZERO difference.

Maybe that simulator is running iOS4 or something but come on... iOS has changed so little since iOS1 it's pretty pathetic. Not even the biggest Apple fan can argue that.
And it isn't only my opinion, to wit:

"The worry is that drastic changes to applications and functions that have remained relatively stagnant since 2007 — things like email and calendars – could push back the release of iOS 7."
Y'know since 2007. When the iPhone debuted...

Email and Calendar apps overhaul to be part of iOS 7 | iSource

iOS7 is coming and look to be changing things up. Finally.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
I think dkf747 is meaning that the app that was linked does not function exactly like this phone, because it's not, it was not written by apple and is not a true simulator. This tool really isn't what the original poster was looking for, they're looking for something that completely simulates the OS so that if they have to talk someone through a menu, they can look at the menu themselves through the simulator. This one that was linked does not have that capability because it is not a real simulator.

for instance if I wanted to walk someone through setting up their email, that simulator does not have the same options under the settings app that a real iphone does.

I do not think there is a real simulator out there simply because that would mean practically rewriting iOS, not something easily done. If someone has iOS installed on a virtual device and sandboxed in such a way that the OS thinks its running on real hardware, maybe that would work, but again you'd have to practically "build" the hardware into pseudohardware, it's close to impossible or completely impossible, without the source. Even if it were possible, why?

OP - go to craigslist and pick up an iPhone 3G for 50 bucks, it'll do everything you need with minor differences (newer iOS versions are not supported on 3G and 3GS anymore)

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
OK, all kidding aside, in the industry, we have used these guys for years. They really make a solid platform to try other devices.

They have a free version that you could try online, but I have not personally used them. The SW devs use these sometimes to backtrack, but really the SDKs that are available now for smartphones help create, but purely in terms of seeing how a device performs, these guys are great.

Mobile Application Testing on Real Devices ? Welcome to DeviceAnywhere from Keynote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones