U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 9,452,941 times

Advertisements

This can't be good.

My iPhone 4 has been getting rather warm the last two days when I have been on the internet and when I watched a movie on Netflix for about 15 minutes yesrerday.

What's up? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
How old is your iPhone ? Batteries will get warm with intensive usage. Not saying there is a specific known issue, but you should at least consider that.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,459,648 times
Regarding the above post on the battery: Your phone might be active when you aren't aware of it.

You could try turning off services like iCloud or even Bluetooth and location services. Also, clear the open programs (apps) from your "desktop". That is done by going to your homepage and clicking the circular "on button" on the bottom of your unit twice. You will probably find a bunch of icons showing in a horizontal pane on the bottom. Hold your finger on one of them and after it starts to jiggle, touch the x feature on each of them in turn. (They appear again when you open an app.)

See if your phone cools off, then introduce each of the elements listed above to see what happens. Good luck.

By the way, you can download the instruction manual on your computer and search through that.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This can't be good.

My iPhone 4 has been getting rather warm the last two days when I have been on the internet and when I watched a movie on Netflix for about 15 minutes yesrerday.

What's up? Any ideas?
Has your usage changed? In other words, have you been doing the same thing on the phone for a while and only recently this started happening?

Have you downloaded any new apps that are 'connected' all the time? eg. getting weather alerts or things of that nature?

Have you tried simply rebooting the phone?

There can by a myriad of reasons why this is happening without actually seeing what is running in the background etc.
Generally speaking I would not worry too much, but if you have not done a reboot, that would be my first suggestion then come back and let us know after a week or so if there was any change in performance or battery temps.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM

8,679 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Well, you know how it goes-the noise in your car stops when you take it to be looked at by a mechanic?

I've done nothing differrent and my phone has not heated up since I made the OP.

Oh well, whatever works and thanks for the responses!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,774,554 times
Using the phone (for web browsing, video watching, game playing, etc.) will cause it to heat up a little bit.

Charging the battery will also cause it to heat up a bit.

Doing both at once will cause it to heat up a lot. Could that have been the case?

I wouldn't worry too much though. It will stop or slow charging and/or slow down the processor before anything gets hot enough to cause permanent damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or