U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,214,464 times

Advertisements

I have an iMac and currently connect through ComCast's modem. I'm planning on getting my first smartphone (iPhone 5)soon and want to switch to a wireless modem/router so I can use my smartphone in the house, too.

I don't want to be suckered into something I don't need though, and I'm not knowledgable enough.

Should I get modem/router combo? If so, which one is good yet affordable?
Should I get them separately? Why and which ones?

Any advice anyone has in this area would be very appreciated. What should I look for or watch out for? Hopefully, this will be user friendly and maintenance free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM

5,564 posts, read 3,843,974 times
In the past I have installed a couple of routers and it was all very confusing and I had to get help from the mfg.
Recently I needed a new router and I was studying the lineup in Walmart and a kid about 17 came up and said I know something about routers and I can help you. He recommended NETGEAR. I bought one and that was the easiest thing to install I have seen. It basically was automatic. I would look at NETGEAR product line.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Do not get a combo modem/router, keep them separate devices. As far as brand it doesn't really matter, take a look on Newegg or Amazon for routers in your price range and look at the reviews. If all you're doing is connecting a phone to it you don't need much as far as features go.

Netgear makes a good router, been using them for years.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Do not get a combo modem/router, keep them separate devices. As far as brand it doesn't really matter, take a look on Newegg or Amazon for routers in your price range and look at the reviews. If all you're doing is connecting a phone to it you don't need much as far as features go.

I agree with NHDave.

The only thing I want to add is that if you're currently renting a modem from Comcast (I think they charge $7/month), consider purchasing your own so you no longer have to pay the rental fee. The best modem is the Motorola SB6141 (about $90).

You'll still need a separate router.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Good ol' WRT54G /w DD-WRT and a cheap gigabit switch IMO (if you need gigabit LAN)

Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Good ol' WRT54G /w DD-WRT and a cheap gigabit switch IMO (if you need gigabit LAN)
For the average non technical home user that does nothing but introduce more points of failure and excess equipment.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,184,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

Yep.

I'm a fan of Netgear too, although D-Link makes a pretty good device. Make sure it is at least 802.11n (the new routers are 802.11AC).

if you plan on streaming to smart TV or TV Box such as Roku, AppleTV or Xbox, get a dual band router.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree with NHDave.

The only thing I want to add is that if you're currently renting a modem from Comcast (I think they charge $7/month), consider purchasing your own so you no longer have to pay the rental fee. The best modem is the Motorola SB6141 (about $90).

You'll still need a separate router.
Been contemplating buying a Docsis 3 modem, that is likely the one I'm going with. Have a cm-100 Docsis 2 currently.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
I agree with the others, don’t double the modem and the router. As you’re an Apple guy (like me) you might want to go with an AirPort. They’re more expensive (surprise!) but very reliable.

Routers are pretty standard, but I wouldn’t go with a really cheap one. You should also consider if you want other functionality, like hooking up a printer, or dual band etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 AM

7,294 posts, read 6,675,048 times
I have a motorola surfboard SB 6141 that works great. Docsys 3 with 8 channels, good logs and settings.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfB...ds=cable+modem

Routers I have an old Linksys WRT150N that won't die and uses custom firmware dd-wrt. I'd upgrade but my stupid brother printer will only use wireless G anyways, does not support N, and I'm only using the slowest cheapest internet speed 3.5 megabits or so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones