U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 PM

28,504 posts, read 48,400,233 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 2 — One afternoon in early September, an architect boarded his commuter train and became a cellphone vigilante. He sat down next to a 20-something woman who he said was “blabbing away” into her phone.

“She was using the word ‘like’ all the time. She sounded like a Valley Girl,” said the architect, Andrew, who declined to give his last name because what he did next was illegal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/te...er.html?ref=us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,038,632 times
Who really expects anyone in this world to have common courtesy and respect for others anymore? I personally think the cell phone - actually, the telephone, period - is one of the worst inventions of mankind. Granted, I appreciate it's availability in times of emergencies, but when someone is driving down the road yakking away, or sitting in a restaurant gabbing away to their friends, or sitting next to me in a bookstore telling their boyfriend or roommate they're going to stop at McDonalds on the way home and "do they want anything[?]", that gets on my last nerve and it makes me want to yank the thing out of their hand and toss it under the nearest passing truck. I literally hate talking on the phone. ANYONE who knows me will tell you that. I just can't stand it. I have no use for it, except for - as I said - emergencies, or strict business purposes.

It's a darned shame those jammers aren't legal here in the U.S. They are a brilliant idea for business owners. Granted, I don't think every Joe, Sally, or Bill should have one while riding on a bus. But I could TOTALLY appreciate a restaurant owner using one.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 AM

1,993 posts, read 3,394,099 times
Using a cellphone while driving should be illegal, period. And now people are text messaging on their phones while driving. The roads in the country are getting to be postively frightening.

As far as the constant yakking on cellphones, I suppose I've gotten used to hearing people blabbing on them everywhere, grocery stores, the library, the beach, etc. What bugs me is when you're talking to somebody (face to face) and their cellphone rings and they answer it and start blabbing away, totally forgetting/ignoring the person they're with. I was attempting to get acquainted with a new neighbor recently and he did this; and we were about 100' away from his house. Kinda rude if you ask me.

And just because you have a cellphone, do you have to use it constantly?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:51 AM

25,694 posts, read 24,604,235 times
Im one of many who would fall apart without mine, lol, but when someone calls and Im not answering, theres usually a good reason. I try to save the 'chit-chat' (most of it) for the home phone.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM

240 posts, read 564,372 times
I can relate to the scenario... you're talking to someone and their phone rings, and you EXPECT, since you are having a conversation with them that has not run it's course to proper termination... that they'll tell who ever called, "Hey, let me get back to ya in a minute." and then wind the conversation up with you before calling the person back. OR AT LEAST look at you, and say something like, "sorry, I gotta take this, we'll catch up later, k?"

oh no. They just act like they weren't even in a conversation with you, and you're just standing there while they start having a whole conversation with the caller. I guess the new protocol is that a ringing phone is the official termination cue for any person-to-person conversation that may be in process.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM

7,566 posts, read 16,618,433 times
I worked in the mobile phone industry for about 5 years. Had one when I was 15 (about 1996) and I hate the thing, even though they are nececary (sp). If I could, I would not have one right now, but a decision was made by the boss to not give me an office but a cell phone instead. I feel trapped! Its such a PITA to be contactable 24/7. And yes I have to be, although I am not an emergency service I did volunteer to man my office (or at least cell) incase of another disaster similar to the natural disaster we had in December. Im a non emergency contact. |

I too hate when people blab on the phone and *** *** *** *** *** is all you hear, but blocking that signal can endanger lives. My friend is a Doc and gets calls all the time where he has to tell the nurses what to do before he gets there and whatnot. What if he was in that restaurant and the cell call couldnt go through ?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 PM

28,504 posts, read 48,400,233 times
Hi, Here is another news article about this subject.

Sales of mobile phone jam devices soar

Fed up with having to hear other people's mobile phones, Americans are increasingly turning to handheld jamming devices that can cut off a call at the click of a button.

In a trend that is starting to alarm mobile phone network companies, retailers say they are receiving hundreds of US orders for such gadgets every month.

The technology is not new but the popularity of such devices - which can be as small as a cigarette packet and just as easy to conceal - is growing in tandem with mobile phone use.

Jamming the radio signals used by mobile phones is illegal in the US and punishable by a fine of upt $11,000 (£5,500) for a first offence.

However, some manfacturers are putting pressure on regulators to lift the ban, citing various circumstances in which jammers should be allowed.

Sales of mobile phone jam devices soar - Telegraph

Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,421,039 times
There's also a device which can be used to shut off television sets which are blaring, ignored, in public places.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 AM

7,566 posts, read 16,618,433 times
Yes Chaz! I had a watch (circa 1990) that used to turn off TV sets and stuff hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones