U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM

3,080 posts, read 10,037,472 times

Advertisements

Can someone help my lazy and answer if they know? Whenever I google this, I get articles about surfing the internet on your cell phone.

I'm looking for a simple cell phone which is actually waterproof and not "ruggedized" or "water resistant". I need something that's like a sports watch; waterproof to 10 meters or so. I'd like to carry one with me while I'm on the water.

It would sit in the pocket of my boardies and be submersed in about a foot of water for a few hours, and up to ~10 feet on occasion when duckdiving or during a wipeout. Strong possibility of it getting banged around a bit too. If it was small enough (a plus) I'd try to cram it into the key pocket of my wetsuit or sew in a new pocket for it. Otherwise, maybe on a lanyard around my neck under the wetsuit. In any case, it'd be wet and around body temperature for a few hours every session.

Oh, it would be nice if it floated as well. Otherwise I'd need some way to tie a bulky float to it.

Finally, a decent price tag would be good. Like under $100. I just want to make and recieve calls. Nothing fancy. I don't need a Delta-Force bulletproof satellite phone with wifi and GPS. GSM would be best. A waterproof case for an existing phone would work too.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,004,713 times
Yes there are a few options.

Outfone makes a few.

Shenzhen Outfone Technology Co.,LTD

Sonim does as well

Welcome to Sonim Technologies - Maker of the World's Toughest Phones

Never played with a outfone, but the Sonim's are simply awesome. You can kill them.

EDIT: Just read this bad boy is coming out, but might not last in the water as long as you would like.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-35783536.html

Forgot to add, that there is a company here in San Diego that is creating a really good gel which gets injected into phones and creates a waterproof seal within the device.
http://www.hzoinside.com/

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 06-12-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Yeah, thanks. Not quite what I'm looking for. Those phones are all just rated IP67, which means they're water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes. They can take a mild accidental dunking, but I want long-term immersion. The same thing for HzO; they talk about surviving a push into the pool. I need something IP68 where the manufacturer specifically states it can go down 10 meters indefinately, like a decent wrist watch.

I've actually just purchased the Motorola Defy Mini. The phone can probably survive going to the beach, but not out in the water. It's not rated IP anything, though it claims to be "water and dust proof". The Defy + is $30 more, an older phone with a faster processor, and it IS also IP67. But I'm not planning to test that out by paddling out with a $120 smartphone, so I just went for cheaper.

I really just want a basic waterproof communicator so my family can get ahold of me when I'm in the water. No screen, no wifi, just the basics. Numeric buttons, an internal antenna, a speaker and a microphone. I've seen (photos) of some guys taking their phones out with them, but these are pros who can afford to drop a $200 smartphone in the drink and Volcom or whatever sponsor will just buy them a new one.

I think the actual answer here is to look for a cheap old dumb phone (IP67 with luck) and stick it in a plastic bag for a double-barrier. But that's a pretty inelegant solution.

Thanks and reps to anyone else who takes a shot at this.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM

sponger, you need to hit up the Sonim link I sent.

The XP1300 is IP68 rated. Actually the only on the market that is.

Welcome to Sonim Technologies - Maker of the World's Toughest Phones

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
Don't forget that no cell phone will be waterproof. Even Sonim markets its phones as water resistant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
The Sonim is WATERPROOF... for 30 minutes, to around 6 feet (2 meters).

Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM

You're right, Schmoov, and I did check them out. They are IP68, but like Peregrine says, only for 2 meters and 30 minutes. Also, they look pretty pricy. But you're right, I could probably get away with using one of those. They'd probably last longer than stated.

I get the feeling what I want just doesn't exist. I'm looking for a $50 cell phone that's totally sealed. I guess I could laminate one of my old phones...

This really doesn't seem all that hard, so I wonder why nobody's built one? I guess I'm the one person in all the world who wants this type of product.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You're right, Schmoov, and I did check them out. They are IP68, but like Peregrine says, only for 2 meters and 30 minutes. Also, they look pretty pricy. But you're right, I could probably get away with using one of those. They'd probably last longer than stated.

I get the feeling what I want just doesn't exist. I'm looking for a $50 cell phone that's totally sealed. I guess I could laminate one of my old phones...

This really doesn't seem all that hard, so I wonder why nobody's built one? I guess I'm the one person in all the world who wants this type of product.

Its the engineering and cost. Additionally, not many cellular towers sit near a coast. At least here in San Diego, reception is super spotty anywhere you can put your toe in the water. They sure wont set up towers in the water either. So you would basically have a dead phone.

The mechanics alone are very fine tuned. Add pressure of any kind to the components and they will not be able to function properly. If they did, the phone would pretty large as you could see in the Sonims. They are like G Shock housings.

Have you seen what the surfer photographers use in the water for the gear? Its not just a sealed camera, its a massive housing.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
On the Sonim internet site it uses the term "water submersible" and not water proof. I stand by my earlier statement that it means water resistant and nothing more. I don't want the OP thinking otherwise.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
On the Sonim internet site it uses the term "water submersible" and not water proof. I stand by my earlier statement that it means water resistant and nothing more. I don't want the OP thinking otherwise.
Very true and good call.
There is definitely a difference. For clarity sake there really arent many consumer devices that I am aware of that are fully waterproof.
I think the term is misleading, because at some point even a waterproof watch for example, cannot exceed certain depths and retain its 'proof' design without leakage.

Hence the water resistant standards they now have, which the OP seems to understand.

I guess, if you wanted to go old school you could grab a couple of coffee cans, some string and try talking to each other under water lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones