U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM

10,959 posts, read 15,247,610 times

Advertisements

Who is your cell phone carrier and are you aware of delayed billing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
I use Verizon. Can you clarify your question about delayed billing? Postpaid carriers bill in advance and this is nothing new.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 AM

10,959 posts, read 15,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I use Verizon. Can you clarify your question about delayed billing? Postpaid carriers bill in advance and this is nothing new.
Oh no, you are with Verizon too.
Here's the story and the April 13-May 12 bill was the usual amount, unless there was overage (minutes used over the plan allotment). The bill was paid. It showed the 500 minute allowance and 477 used. Nice, budgeting of minute near the end of the cycle kept it 23 minutes under. Good for us. Then here comes the May 13-June 12 bill and there was a section for unbilled usage from "previous months." 93 minutes at 45 cents each.
A closer look showed these 93 minutes started to accrue at 45 cents per minute after April 30th (May 1-12), a full 12 days of the cycle and 40% of the entire cycle of 30 days. The usage given when #646 was called every 2-3 days was apparently not giving the correct number.
Verizon gave many reasons for these 93 minutes not being known to us around May 1st when we called #646 and why they were not on the May bill, they could not all be true. One was that the unbilled calls were during "travel" and picked up by some other carrier's tower and unable to be billed by Verizon on time. Wrong, as all the calls originated from the same place, no travelling during May -12. Another explanation given was that #646 can be delayed by 24 hours. 24 hours? The delay in billing was 12 days. The final explanation was that #646 should be avoided and go to a computer and login in to Verizon and check usage that way.
Well that is not exactly accurate either. We checked our May 13-June 12 usage on June 13th on their website and it showed no calls made on the 12th and there was several calls on the 12th. Finally CS knew that none of these reasons why 12 days of calls had not been billed were valid, so they gave this disclaimer. We can delay bill you for as much as 3 months or 90 days. I asked, how are Verizon customers supposed to monitor and budget their minutes based on the plan allowance if the sources of the usage are not accurate? The reply was don't rely on #646 and to check their website every couple days or 15 times a month and definitely check it regularly in the last week to ten days.
We've used exactly 500 minutes many, many months since we know how to budget them near the end and how to use 500 without going over by calling #646.

So, if you have Verizon beware of delayed billing that can cost you. It's hard to budget minutes when they are 12 days behind.

If anyone uses another carrier delayed billing may be new gimmick to cause you to go over your allotment, since we have never, ever had any delayed billing until now. Must be something new and we do not buy the excuse that travel was to blame, as if Verizon did not blanket the area as well as most of the country with their service. They'll never get another 45 cents for an over minute from us.

Business travelers re-imbursed for business expenses and those who can afford to go way over their allotment need not to be concerned about this new delayed billing of up to 90 days which has never happened to our account before.

So, when your September bill arrives and you get billed overage calls made going back 30-60-90 days, no need to call Verizon as they already know what they are doing.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Roaming on cellular networks outside the carrier's native coverage has always resulted in delayed billing. That is why the carrier stipulates that airtime is only estimated when you check your minutes prior to the statement being generated. This is nothing new. I know it can be upsetting when/if it happens. It has always been this way. I used to be a CS rep for another cellular carrier and it was no different with that company either.

Sorry for the surprise you encountered because you were unaware of such billing, but it doesn't mean the overage charges were any less legitimate. Chalk it up to a learning experience. The terms & conditions of service clearly stipulate this.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
It's also worth noting that you can roam even in your home territory if you have spotty coverage in an area. When I lived in FL we would almost always roam when crossing over onto the barrier islands. This was only a few miles from home, but there was something about the way the towers were out there.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
I use Verizon. I thought they paid all roaming charges. then again it probily depends on the plan that your on

Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I use Verizon. I thought they paid all roaming charges. then again it probily depends on the plan that your on
Domestically, there are no roaming charges. My point is that if a customer is outside of a native coverage area, they are roaming on another carrier (at no penalty) and the airtime can be delayed.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Domestically, there are no roaming charges. My point is that if a customer is outside of a native coverage area, they are roaming on another carrier (at no penalty) and the airtime can be delayed.
I get what your saying now. I never roamed so I never got delayed billing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones