U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which phone would you pick?
Iphone 5 4 15.38%
Nokia Lumia 925 6 23.08%
Nexus 4 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 14 53.85%
Sony Xperia Z 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
It could be a while before I choose since the Lumia 925 has no release date yet and neither does Xperia Z but at least the Z has shown up on the t-mobile website so I know it should be coming in the next month. Also, I'm aware of the app issue with WP but I'm not the type of person who's buying app after app. Besides, it seems to have the main ones I use excluding the NOOK app, though I'm sure it will be there soon enough. The only experience I have with apple is the 4th generation Itouch I own and I love it. However, I've heard there are issues when you receive videos from non-iPhone devices, which may seem trivial to some though it could become an issue for me.
Hang tight for another couple of weeks.

Nokia Lumia 925 may hit T-Mobile in two weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Hang tight for another couple of weeks.

Nokia Lumia 925 may hit T-Mobile in two weeks
Thanks for the info, I hope the date is accurate.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,091 times
iphone 5 and sumsung glaxy s4

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM

141 posts, read 404,931 times
Galaxy Note II or LG Optumus G Pro for me!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
My money is on the Samsung S4. I am using one and think it is a fantastic device. There is a review in the latest Popular Science or Popular Mechanics what does a comparison of the top, current Android devices and the S4 was rated highest. It all depends on your preference of operating systems, Apple iOs, Android, or Windows Mobile.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,091 times
None of the above. The LG Optimus G Pro is the best phone around right now. Next up would probably be the Google Nexus edition of the Galaxy S4. I don't like all of the feature creep Samsung is squeezing into TouchWiz, though the hardware is pretty good.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
None of the above. The LG Optimus G Pro is the best phone around right now. Next up would probably be the Google Nexus edition of the Galaxy S4. I don't like all of the feature creep Samsung is squeezing into TouchWiz, though the hardware is pretty good.
The S-Pen on Galaxy Note II is a deal-maker for me. LG Opt does not sport a stylus. And LG Opt is short of sensors: it has only GPS and a rather lame gyro and that's it, AFAIK. Otherwise great. But I'll wait for Galaxy Note 3 which is expected any day now.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 PM

The GN3 won't be until fall, and so far it's just rumored. Probably be similar specs to the OGP though, as far as hardware.

As far as the OGP lacking sensors which ones? The OGP's gyro works fine, the GPS works great, it also has proximity sensor, brightness sensor, an IR blaster, and uses the camera to detect when you're looking at the screen. Standard fare on basically all superphone-class smartphones these days. Except the HTC One, which lacks anything for detecting when you look at the screen.

S-Pen a deal breaker? Go buy a $0.99 capacitive stylus, jeez!

There's only two real reasons to go GN3 over OGP, one is that you like SAMOLED, the other is that you like TouchWIZ. Both are valid reasons, but they're really the only ones.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
The GN3 won't be until fall, and so far it's just rumored.

As far as the OGP lacking sensors which ones?

S-Pen a deal breaker? Go buy a $0.99 capacitive stylus, jeez!
Everything related to GN3 release till it's officially announced is rumor, projected GN3 release interval spreads from now to October. I'll wait till October if they don't release any earlier.

Sensors: accelerometer, barometer, altimeter, temp and humidity...

Slim, comfy S-Pen vs big, fat and essentially useless capacitive stylus: you may not see the difference but I sure do. GN2 has capacitive touch screen for the sake of clarity, but S-Pen feels same as a pinpoint stylus on a resistive screen. Huge difference.

As the gadget are essentially gaining vision with Kinect-like technologies (Leap Motion etc), styli will become obsolete some time but not this year for sure.

Last edited by geekie; 06-29-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
Everything related to GN3 release till it's officially announced is rumor, projected GN3 release interval spreads from now to October. I'll wait till October if they don't release any earlier.

Sensors: accelerometer, barometer, altimeter, temp and humidity...

Slim, comfy S-Pen vs big, fat and essentially useless capacitive stylus: you may not see the difference but I sure do. GN2 has capacitive touch screen for the sake of clarity, but S-Pen feels same as a pinpoint stylus on a resistive screen. Huge difference.

As the gadget are essentially gaining vision with Kinect-like technologies (Leap Motion etc), styli will become obsolete some time but not this year for sure.
Ok I think I need to help your technical understanding a little here.

1. The OGP is very capable of detecting both acceleration and altitude. I don't know if it's using its own sensors to do it or the GPS, and frankly I don't really care, so long as I get the data.
2. A barometer is an altimeter, and a separate altimeter is usually barometric-based if it isn't using GPS to detect altitude. So you're double-counting that one anyway.
3. If I want temperature and humidity I have all the sensors I need for that. I borrow AccuWeather's. But if you really feel the need to detect your own local temperature and humidity rather than just pulling a weather report for your GPS location, I'd have to say you're really reaching, but yeah, technically the OGP, like most other phones, is not a portable weather station.

And no, I don't see a difference in the stylii. You just have to get the feel for each type. Samsung uses an extra digitizer layer to interact with S-Pen though, which removes some of the advantage of SAMOLED. I could see wanting that sort of ability on a tablet, but not something phone/pocket sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones