U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which phone would you pick?
Iphone 5 4 15.38%
Nokia Lumia 925 6 23.08%
Nexus 4 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 14 53.85%
Sony Xperia Z 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Hang tight for another couple of weeks.

Nokia Lumia 925 may hit T-Mobile in two weeks
After doing more research and watching video reviews, I'm now leaning more towards the Sony Xperia Z. The Lumia looks wonderful, but I'm surprised to see it taking 2nd place on the poll; like you said it has a long way to go to match android and IOS. WP8 only has 50,000 apps compared to android and IOS 700,000+, but the biggest travesty is that it doesn't appear to have the real Facebook and YouTube apps; as popular as those two are its shocking to see them not getting the real experience compared to android and IOS versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
After doing more research and watching video reviews, I'm now leaning more towards the Sony Xperia Z. The Lumia looks wonderful, but I'm surprised to see it taking 2nd place on the poll; like you said it has a long way to go to match android and IOS. WP8 only has 50,000 apps compared to android and IOS 700,000+, but the biggest travesty is that it doesn't appear to have the real Facebook and YouTube apps; as popular as those two are its shocking to see them not getting the real experience compared to android and IOS versions.
Yeah, I think that is a good move. At the high end of the device range the differences can be subtle. The reality is you can't really go wrong with any from that list, but for the long term you need to look at what device will suit you best for what you need it for.

I am a huge Nokia and Windows Phone fan...but I really like and use the others as well for different reasons. They each have their pros snd cons, no question.
But that is what is great right now...all these wonderful options for consumers.

Definitely go to the store and take them for a test drive when they come out. Tell us which one you went with and how you like it!
Good luck

Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM

141 posts, read 404,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
1. The OGP is very capable of detecting both acceleration and altitude. I don't know if it's using its own sensors to do it or the GPS, and frankly I don't really care, so long as I get the data.
2. A barometer is an altimeter, and a separate altimeter is usually barometric-based if it isn't using GPS to detect altitude. So you're double-counting that one anyway.
3. If I want temperature and humidity I have all the sensors I need for that. I borrow AccuWeather's. But blah blah yada yada

And no, I don't see a difference in the stylii.
1. As long as you don't care about accuracy/validity of your data and if your data is actually worth screenspace it's rendered on, be my guest, your choice.

2. Of course you can try to estimate altitude with GPS data alone, but it's a magnitude less accurate than a combination of barometric data + GPS triangulation with very nifty math applied to it. Therefore, by my book, not double counting at all.

3. Thermometer on the unit that gives you temp now and here vs AccuWeather (Weatherbug, Wunderground etc etc)??? Yeah. Sure.

Last but not least: can't feel difference between true stylus, the S-Pen which Samsung made work with capacitive screen vs regular capacitive screen with stylus that is about as big as your finger, wow. I rest my case. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
1. As long as you don't care about accuracy/validity of your data and if your data is actually worth screenspace it's rendered on, be my guest, your choice.

2. Of course you can try to estimate altitude with GPS data alone, but it's a magnitude less accurate than a combination of barometric data + GPS triangulation with very nifty math applied to it. Therefore, by my book, not double counting at all.

3. Thermometer on the unit that gives you temp now and here vs AccuWeather (Weatherbug, Wunderground etc etc)??? Yeah. Sure.

Last but not least: can't feel difference between true stylus, the S-Pen which Samsung made work with capacitive screen vs regular capacitive screen with stylus that is about as big as your finger, wow. I rest my case. Thank you.
Ohhh-kayyyyy....so I guess it's important to waste battery and silicon on extra sensors rather than simply calculating. GPS calculates position in THREE dimensions, including altitude. It's not an "estimate." The measure of speed is caculated as a function of time and distance traveled. GPS gives you distance, therefore you don't need an accelerometer. But if it makes you feel better than your device has extra sensors wasting space and battery, you go right on guy.

Back to the original point that you wanted to divert from. The Optimus G Pro will do everything the Galaxy S/Note series will do. As someone mentioned, the differences in devices at this level can be very subtle. But for now it's the best 5.5 inch device around, and an excellent competitor for the 5 inch Galaxy S4.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
just got the Samsung galaxy s4 today I love it

Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah, I think that is a good move. At the high end of the device range the differences can be subtle. The reality is you can't really go wrong with any from that list, but for the long term you need to look at what device will suit you best for what you need it for.

I am a huge Nokia and Windows Phone fan...but I really like and use the others as well for different reasons. They each have their pros snd cons, no question.
But that is what is great right now...all these wonderful options for consumers.

Definitely go to the store and take them for a test drive when they come out. Tell us which one you went with and how you like it!
Good luck
I will though I had to express how shocked I was to see how behind Microsoft (giant of the PC world) was in the mobile field; even blackberry is beating it with it's now 100,000+ apps. Why is Microsoft falling way behind, it's not like they're new to the mobile world, they've been making phones for years now.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,001,091 times
Quote:
I will though I had to express how shocked I was to see how behind Microsoft (giant of the PC world) was in the mobile field; even blackberry is beating it with it's now 100,000+ apps. Why is Microsoft falling way behind, it's not like they're new to the mobile world, they've been making phones for years now.
Microsoft stuck with the outdated UI paradigm that they always had, and were VERY slow to adjust when Apple and then Google showed everyone the right way to do touchscreens.

I dunno about Blackberry beating Microsoft except in number of apps. So far they seem to be roughly equal in adoption. Microsoft's had more time in the market and Big Giant Gorilla level backing from Microsoft, but Blackberry's got an Android emulation layer and some rabid fans. Either way, neither one is going to displace Apple or Google for a VERY long time.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 AM

84 posts, read 90,839 times
I would like to choose Samsung Galaxy S4, although Nexus has came with dual core processor and beating all the android and windows cell phones but it still not have beaten Galaxy S4 even iPhone 5 was also not able to beat S4. Galaxy S4 has 13 mega pixel camera with Android 4.2.2 which is much advanced than the previous versions. And at last its screen size which is larger than all.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Quote:
It does have a real Facebook app, although it's pretty terrible and featureless. However, there's also a beta version that makes it look and work like the iOS and Android versions; I've been using it for a month or so and it works pretty well.

Not sure what the YouTube situation is like, although I've heard MetroTube is nice.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Yes, they fully acknowledge that they did fall asleep at the wheel in the mobile space.

As far as the apps you were looking for on Windows Phone. They do have them. Actually JasonF's post was spot on.

Its good you are going to check them out. I would also not necessarily buy out of fear of apps. Its quite funny actually when numbers of apps become part of a conversation.

I had mentioned this before in other threads, but there are few realities:
1. Most users that typically bash an OS, never owned a single device that ran on it. But have the biggest opinions on why its so great or terrible lol
2. You can have tons of apps, but if you dont plan on having a choice of 30 different sketching or drawing apps, its kind of a moot point.

I really consider Android OS this generations 'Windows XP.' This isnt necessarily a bad thing either.
Back in the day, everyone and anyone made .exe files for XP. Mac on the other hand had applicaitons that mattered for their users and those people swore up and down about how great they were for what THEY did. Of course now, times have changed somewhat. I dont think Windows Phone is necessarily as hindered on the useful app side as the XP>Mac argument, but I trying to paint a bigger picture.

So the numbers of apps shouldnt really even be a talking point as top reason if you dont really even know what you are looking for. In other words, what do you really think you are missing except some clever time wasters or utilities to try and make the phone work 'better'? lol

Go head and look at the Play Store "Top Apps" and Windows Phone or iOS top apps online. Although I havent looked hard, it seems every time I open each respective Store, the top free apps are almost the same across platforms (Facebook, Twitter etc). That should tell you something about what really is popular and what matters to users. Not numbers of apps.

I can tell you for a fact, that most web based apps are merely serving up the same content you can get by using the browser and clicking on a URL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones