U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which phone would you pick?
Iphone 5 4 15.38%
Nokia Lumia 925 6 23.08%
Nexus 4 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 14 53.85%
Sony Xperia Z 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yes, they fully acknowledge that they did fall asleep at the wheel in the mobile space.

As far as the apps you were looking for on Windows Phone. They do have them. Actually JasonF's post was spot on.

Its good you are going to check them out. I would also not necessarily buy out of fear of apps. Its quite funny actually when numbers of apps become part of a conversation.

I had mentioned this before in other threads, but there are few realities:
1. Most users that typically bash an OS, never owned a single device that ran on it. But have the biggest opinions on why its so great or terrible lol
2. You can have tons of apps, but if you dont plan on having a choice of 30 different sketching or drawing apps, its kind of a moot point.

I really consider Android OS this generations 'Windows XP.' This isnt necessarily a bad thing either.
Back in the day, everyone and anyone made .exe files for XP. Mac on the other hand had applicaitons that mattered for their users and those people swore up and down about how great they were for what THEY did. Of course now, times have changed somewhat. I dont think Windows Phone is necessarily as hindered on the useful app side as the XP>Mac argument, but I trying to paint a bigger picture.

So the numbers of apps shouldnt really even be a talking point as top reason if you dont really even know what you are looking for. In other words, what do you really think you are missing except some clever time wasters or utilities to try and make the phone work 'better'? lol

Go head and look at the Play Store "Top Apps" and Windows Phone or iOS top apps online. Although I havent looked hard, it seems every time I open each respective Store, the top free apps are almost the same across platforms (Facebook, Twitter etc). That should tell you something about what really is popular and what matters to users. Not numbers of apps.

I can tell you for a fact, that most web based apps are merely serving up the same content you can get by using the browser and clicking on a URL.
It's a bit confusing the TV ads mention 50,000 apps but going on the website it appears they have 160,000 not sure why there's a discrepancy between the two. As I said before I''l be looking for all that when I test out the phones in the store. If the phones (Lumia and Xperia) really do come out on the 17th as it's rumored I'll let you know which phone I chose.

Oh and speaking of the facebook app, it won't be a problem anymore as facebook finally made one for Windows 8 phones.
Facebook app for Windows Phone 8 out of beta - SlashGear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,107,822 times

Xperia™ Z Ultra - Big Screen, Big Entertainmen - YouTube

Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
That's way too big for a cell phone; any phone that's larger than 5 inches in really pushing it in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, they fully acknowledge that they did fall asleep at the wheel in the mobile space.

As far as the apps you were looking for on Windows Phone. They do have them. Actually JasonF's post was spot on.

Its good you are going to check them out. I would also not necessarily buy out of fear of apps. Its quite funny actually when numbers of apps become part of a conversation.

I had mentioned this before in other threads, but there are few realities:
1. Most users that typically bash an OS, never owned a single device that ran on it. But have the biggest opinions on why its so great or terrible lol
2. You can have tons of apps, but if you dont plan on having a choice of 30 different sketching or drawing apps, its kind of a moot point.

I really consider Android OS this generations 'Windows XP.' This isnt necessarily a bad thing either.
Back in the day, everyone and anyone made .exe files for XP. Mac on the other hand had applicaitons that mattered for their users and those people swore up and down about how great they were for what THEY did. Of course now, times have changed somewhat. I dont think Windows Phone is necessarily as hindered on the useful app side as the XP>Mac argument, but I trying to paint a bigger picture.

So the numbers of apps shouldnt really even be a talking point as top reason if you dont really even know what you are looking for. In other words, what do you really think you are missing except some clever time wasters or utilities to try and make the phone work 'better'? lol

Go head and look at the Play Store "Top Apps" and Windows Phone or iOS top apps online. Although I havent looked hard, it seems every time I open each respective Store, the top free apps are almost the same across platforms (Facebook, Twitter etc). That should tell you something about what really is popular and what matters to users. Not numbers of apps.

I can tell you for a fact, that most web based apps are merely serving up the same content you can get by using the browser and clicking on a URL.
I have another question, I own a windows 7 laptop so is there going to be a compatibility issue when I attempt to connect my Lumia phone? Will my computer even recognize the phone considering its a windows 8 phone?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I have another question, I own a windows 7 laptop so is there going to be a compatibility issue when I attempt to connect my Lumia phone? Will my computer even recognize the phone considering its a windows 8 phone?
No, the version of Windows on the phone and laptop don't have anything to do with each other.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
No there wont be a compatibility issue at all.

The device will install the drivers automatically when you plug it in. You can either search the folders old skool via File Explorer or through the app they have, which actually is pretty good!

Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)

BTW: Big announcement from Nokia. Cant confirm or deny what you are looking for will be given a specific date to be released
http://www.wpcentral.com/t-mobile-no...-10th-announce

Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
No there wont be a compatibility issue at all.

The device will install the drivers automatically when you plug it in. You can either search the folders old skool via File Explorer or through the app they have, which actually is pretty good!

Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)

BTW: Big announcement from Nokia. Cant confirm or deny what you are looking for will be given a specific date to be released
T-Mobile
Thanks for the info and yes I had seen that big announcement article beforehand. I'm actually going to t-mobile today and see if they at least have them on display. A prior leaked document said testing displays should have been available before the 17th the expected release date of Xperia and Lumia.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Well they didn't have the displays yet, but the big announcement today consisted of presenting the two phones. The Lumia 925 will be available for down payment of $49.99, while Xperia will be $99.99 and you can already buy it at Sony stores. T-mobile also announced they'd allow upgrades twice a year for their customers.

Nokia Lumia 925 lands on T-Mobile July 17th for $49.99 down

Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Quote:
Well they didn't have the displays yet, but the big announcement today consisted of presenting the two phones. The Lumia 925 will be available for down payment of $49.99, while Xperia will be $99.99 and you can already buy it at Sony stores. T-mobile also announced they'd allow upgrades twice a year for their customers.

Nokia Lumia 925 lands on T-Mobile July 17th for $49.99 down
Yup this IMHO is a great deal.
That Jump program also sounds promising. I really like the angle they are taking with their ideas. I am not sure if there are any 'gotchas' besides it being only twice a year with the trade up program, but I cant imagine there would be anything too drastic.
T-Mo has always been about customer service so I cant see them blindsiding their customers.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM

So I ended up going with the Nexus 4. I know some people said it was dated but with Android 4.2.2 I don't see how besides it has quad core processor compared to the Lumia's dual core. Even though the phone lacks LTE its still a very responsive and quick performing on the web. I'm very happy with the purchase especially with it having been $19 down + phone tax it came at about $55 total. It would have been nearly $100 with Lumia and over $150 with the Xperia and S4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones