U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which phone would you pick?
Iphone 5 4 15.38%
Nokia Lumia 925 6 23.08%
Nexus 4 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 14 53.85%
Sony Xperia Z 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times

Advertisements

So my contract is ending and I can finally replace my LG My Touch which operated on Android 2.3 for a higher end smart phone with no contract. However, I can't seem to choose as all these phones look amazing, which one would you choose if you won it as a prize at some electronic store. They seem pretty equal looking at the specs, but I've never had a high end smartphone so I'm hoping you guys can enlighten me?

Iphone 5
http://photos.appleinsider.com/iphone5pr-120913-4.png
Processor: 1.02GHz dual-core A6 chip
Memory: 16GB, 32GB, 64 GB
RAM: 1GB
Display: 4 inch retina display
Camera: 8 MP

Nokia Lumia 925 (not released yet, but it's basically a version of Verizon's Lumia 928)
http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...mia925_465.jpg
Processor: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core
Memory: 16GB
RAM: 1GB
Display: 4.5 inch OLED

Nexus 4
https://lh4.ggpht.com/mGNE2HzLk1k5Fs...Dxixhu6cj=w346
Processor: 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro with Krait CPUs
Memory: 16GB
RAM: 2GB
Display: 4.7 inch

Samsung Galaxy S4
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content...galaxy-s4.jpeg
Processor: Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
Memory: 16GB/32GB/64GB
RAM: 2GB
Display: 5 inch super amoled
Camera: 13 MP

Sony Xperia Z
http://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-...-Xperia-Z1.jpg
Processor: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064+MDM9215M Quad Core
Memory: 16GB/ micro sd to 64 GB
RAM: 2 GB
Display: 5 inch TFT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post

Sony Xperia Z
http://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-...-Xperia-Z1.jpg
Processor: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064+MDM9215M Quad Core
Memory: 16GB/ micro sd to 64 GB
RAM: 2 GB
Display: 5 inch TFT
WATER RESISTANT

Fixed.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM

12,202 posts, read 21,308,155 times
I am going with the new I Phone this year. It will either be the 5s or 6.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
Tough choice!
The 925 is a great phone and one I am using it now. IMHO, the images are terrific from low light to daylight. The big question for you is whether Windows Phone is an option you are open to coming from Android. I love it, but it does have its drawbacks. Mainly the app situation in comparison to iOS or Android.

I have used all the others and have to take my hat off to Sony for making a SERIOUS come back (they are no joke) in the mobile space.
Their hardware design is top notch and really I can see them hitting home runs in the near future if they keep this up. the Z is a phenomenal phone. They really nailed it here.

Samsung make innovative phones, but not my type. I am not a fan of their materials and general build quality but they do have some incredible displays.

The iPhone is still the defacto standard. You know what to expect from them. What was once trend setting is now the standard for everyone to match and they do a great job at it. I dont think there are really any 'golly gee' moments left with the iPhone if you already have been using a smart device

Good luck! Tell us which one you wind up with.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,215,311 times
Quote:
which one would you choose if you won it as a prize at some electronic store
I'm not a fan of iOS or Windows Phone. Nexus 4 is a little dated now and there's no LTE. That leaves S4 or Xperia Z.

S4 has better specs, but performance is supposedly weighed down a little bit by Samsung's TouchWiz interface, so in reality, it isn't that far ahead of Xperia performance-wise. That said, I'd still take the faster, better spec'd phone, the S4.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
I'd go iOS or Windows Phone. I'd consider the HTC One, but there really aren't any other Android devices that I'd consider at the moment.

The S4 has a lot of mostly useless features (bloat). I was watching The Gadget Show yesterday and they were reviewing the S4, Xperia Z, and HTC One. The biggest complaint they seemed to have with the Z is that the screen is unusable in daylight and it scratches very easily. The S4 was characterized as gimmicky and a bit sluggish. The HTC One was by the far the favorite - better construction, good camera performance, and responsive.

If you go Windows Phone, make sure the apps you want are available. WP is a really nice platform, but the app situation can leave you wanting.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,496,596 times
Have used iPhone, Android, and Windows. For me, Windows-based phone wins hands down.

Which is funny, because I love to hate Microsoft.

I have the Nokia 920 and absolutely love it. I get excited about every phone Nokia brings out.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
I have to have a memory card so the Nexus and iPhone wouldn't be on my list at all.

The HTC one is by far the best phone on the market right now, but it has no slot so it's out for me.

And I would take the Experia over the S4. The S4 is just too damn light. It really does feel cheap. If you like super lighweight, that or or the iPhone5 should be your top choice.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Tough choice!
The 925 is a great phone and one I am using it now. IMHO, the images are terrific from low light to daylight. The big question for you is whether Windows Phone is an option you are open to coming from Android. I love it, but it does have its drawbacks. Mainly the app situation in comparison to iOS or Android.

I have used all the others and have to take my hat off to Sony for making a SERIOUS come back (they are no joke) in the mobile space.
Their hardware design is top notch and really I can see them hitting home runs in the near future if they keep this up. the Z is a phenomenal phone. They really nailed it here.

Samsung make innovative phones, but not my type. I am not a fan of their materials and general build quality but they do have some incredible displays.

The iPhone is still the defacto standard. You know what to expect from them. What was once trend setting is now the standard for everyone to match and they do a great job at it. I dont think there are really any 'golly gee' moments left with the iPhone if you already have been using a smart device

Good luck! Tell us which one you wind up with.
It could be a while before I choose since the Lumia 925 has no release date yet and neither does Xperia Z but at least the Z has shown up on the t-mobile website so I know it should be coming in the next month. Also, I'm aware of the app issue with WP but I'm not the type of person who's buying app after app. Besides, it seems to have the main ones I use excluding the NOOK app, though I'm sure it will be there soon enough. The only experience I have with apple is the 4th generation Itouch I own and I love it. However, I've heard there are issues when you receive videos from non-iPhone devices, which may seem trivial to some though it could become an issue for me.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM

862 posts, read 1,236,616 times
I have the iPhone 5 but would choose the Samsung Galaxy. The rest are ugly looking. I think the iPhone is the best looking phone there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones