U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times

Advertisements

Karen, you got some great suggestions here so far.

One that I might add that is a bit more progressive but VERY effective would be to port your existing cell number to Google Voice. You would need to get a new cell number, but Google Voice acts as a proxy for your old cell phone. Essentially what this will allow you to do is just what you are looking to do. Block numbers at your whim. The only challenge will be getting 'private' calls that have no number show up. If you block 'private' numbers it will block anything that comes in private (for obvious reasons.)

So anyone calling your (old) number can still reach you, but proxy through Google Voice. The people that do still call your old number will not know the difference using that same number. However there are differences when they receive a call from you, but that is another topic.

Its simple process to block and totally worth doing if you are getting the volume of calls you dont want.
Here is the process.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115089?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
I don't know how I missed that, but sorry that I did. No harm, no foul. I do wish you best of success.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 07-01-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,029,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
If you block 'private' numbers it will block anything that comes in private (for obvious reasons.)
In my experience, telemarketers are not blocking their numbers nowadays, since so many people refuse to answer calls from private numbers. Some people are even blocking private numbers altogether, through their carrier.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
In my experience, telemarketers are not blocking their numbers nowadays, since so many people refuse to answer calls from private numbers. Some people are even blocking private numbers altogether, through their carrier.
Interesting and I sure you are right. But I wasnt implying telemarketers and neither was the OP(at least that I saw).

There are several people I know that have their number blocked via the operator. I have several contacts that come up this way as "Private" on my caller ID when trying to reach me.

I was just saying that if she chose to block any private number with Google Voice, it would take them all out.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
We use Ring Central for our business lines, and have our home number tied onto the system (bypassing the business system, but benefiting from it.)

We have a very large black list of telemarketers, fax spammers, and fund raisers that gets dumped into a black hole.

We also block incoming private or blocked numbers. They end up in a recording that says to unblock their number and call back.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,085,538 times
Thanks for the replies. Remember that I am asking about a cell phone -- not an Internet phone or a traditional landline.

EG Skunk Workz, you mentioned that you have a block list on your business phone that is tied into your home phone -- I assume by "home phone" you mean a land line? So that won't work for me. (Of course it may work for others who find this thread in the future! )

I mentioned Call Bliss (for iPhone) earlier in this thread ... it's apparently a new program and it sounded like it might work for me, but I just read the full description and it doesn't block unwanted calls, it just silences them. Aaggggh. I can ALREADY do that by using my "ILLEGAL CALLS" contact.

It's very annoying that something that seems so simple -- BLOCK THIS NUMBER FOREVERMORE -- is made so difficult on the iPhone (without jailbreaking it).

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Karen,

The reality and frustration is understandable but what seems simple to you is actually not from a software perspective.

The reason you need to be jailbroken for these apps to work is because they need to get a software layer that goes deeper than what a non broken phone allows for.
Where calls come in and where they can blocked is not accesible to app developers. Its a security measure really.

So without going into techo jargon, your options are limited. Have you gone on the do not call list registry?

The solution I presented with google voice is not a landline solution. Its just a proxy so you actually filter out the calls permanently.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
EG Skunk Workz, you mentioned that you have a block list on your business phone that is tied into your home phone -- I assume by "home phone" you mean a land line? So that won't work for me. (Of course it may work for others who find this thread in the future! )
It's VOIP, but yea it's not a Cell. I realize what you were looking for, and was responding more about blocking Unknown or Private numbers rather than the black list feature.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,085,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's VOIP, but yea it's not a Cell. I realize what you were looking for, and was responding more about blocking Unknown or Private numbers rather than the black list feature.
Telemarketers (in my experience anyway) rarely block their number -- instead, they use a fake number. THOSE are the numbers I want to block FOREVER, and there seems to be absolutely no way to do it on an iPhone without jailbreaking it.

I do occasionally get calls from friends whose numbers come up PRIVATE so I don't want to block them.

Quote:
One that I might add that is a bit more progressive but VERY effective would be to port your existing cell number to Google Voice. You would need to get a new cell number, but Google Voice acts as a proxy for your old cell phone. Essentially what this will allow you to do is just what you are looking to do. Block numbers at your whim. The only challenge will be getting 'private' calls that have no number show up. If you block 'private' numbers it will block anything that comes in private (for obvious reasons.)

So anyone calling your (old) number can still reach you, but proxy through Google Voice. The people that do still call your old number will not know the difference using that same number. However there are differences when they receive a call from you, but that is another topic.

Its simple process to block and totally worth doing if you are getting the volume of calls you dont want.
Here is the process.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115089?hl=en
Thanks, I will look into this more. I hate the idea of having to get a new number, although as you say my friends/family could still use my current number. I would NOT block "private" numbers for the reason I wrote above; since telemarketers don't seem to use "private," that would be OK for my issue.

Quote:
So without going into techo jargon, your options are limited. Have you gone on the do not call list registry?
I've been on the Do Not Call list since it started many years ago. REPUTABLE telemarketers use it. Scammers ignore it. I can tell that the calls I am getting are from scammers because when I come online to google the number, I find lots of other people who are also getting illegal calls from those same criminals.

=====

Thanks again for the replies. Even the ones that don't apply to my exact situation may very well help someone else in the future. I'll rep everyone that I can (I have rep'd most of you already I think!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones