U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM

7,443 posts, read 13,075,956 times

Advertisements

I've had an iPhone for the past 4 years, and I like it a lot, EXCEPT that there is no app for completely blocking calls from certain numbers (as in telemarketers). Instead, I have to get the call (I NEVER answer calls from numbers I don't recognize), wait for it to end (they virtually never leave a message), then go online to look up the number, and then (if applicable) add it to my ILLEGAL CALLS contact (which has a silent ringtone attached to it). So the next time that particular number calls, I don't hear it, but of course it still shows up in my "Recents" list.

OK, I know maybe this shouldn't be a big deal since I never hear the call after the first time (and often not the first time, since I usually forget to turn the ringer on!!), but it still bugs me because it seems like a BLOCK feature should be a very, very basic feature on any phone, smart or not.

AT&T offers a service to block certain calls, but you have to pay for it every month AND I think the limit is something like 30 numbers -- all in all, pretty useless. I even tried youmail, which sounded like it would work, but it had so many glitches that I gave up on it.

Are there phones with apps that can completely block certain numbers from EVER ringing through (e.g., by giving those numbers the "this number is out of service" tone)? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:27 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Sprint allows you to block 50 numbers for free.

Ooma has a really neat "community blacklist" feature. If you participate in the community blacklist, then it automatically blocks numbers that a good portion of the community has flagged as telemarketers.

Quote:
"as you and other Ooma users add numbers to your personal blacklists and mark them as sources of various "phone spam," Ooma aggregates that information to keep the community blacklist as up-to-date as possible. After confirming that widely-blocked numbers are legitimate sources of spam, Ooma adds those numbers to the community blacklist, saving other people the trouble of ever receiving an unwanted call from those numbers."
Personal and Community Blacklists | Free Internet Home Phone Service | Ooma

Old 06-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sprint allows you to block 50 numbers for free.
Alas, 50 numbers would not be enough. My ILLEGAL CALLS contact has well over 100 numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ooma has a really neat "community blacklist" feature. If you participate in the community blacklist, then it automatically blocks numbers that a good portion of the community has flagged as telemarketers.
That sounds like something I would like ... if it worked for cell phones! Looks like it's for Internet calls?

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it! Anyone else?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM

3,441 posts, read 6,325,964 times
I use a free application called YouMail and has a free add-on called WhoAreYou. Great tool. Not only does it have an advanced caller ID, it also allows you to block phone #'s and identifies many known SPAM phone #'s.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 06-30-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
I use an App called Blacklist, which answers and then hangs up on them, without ringing, and saves a record of it.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I use a free application called YouMail and has a free add-on called WhoAreYou. Great tool. Not only does it have an advanced caller ID, it also allows you to block phone #'s and identifies many known SPAM phone #'s.
Um, see my OP please. I mentioned YouMail ... did not work for me at all (WAY too glitchy and their customer service couldn't help).

Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I use an App called Blacklist, which answers and then hangs up on them, without ringing, and saves a record of it.
Is your iPhone jailbroken? (Mine isn't.) I couldn't find anything called Blacklist (just that word) in the app store on my phone. There's something new called Call Bliss, though, that I found by accident while googling ... I am hoping that will work ...

Thanks for the replies -- I will rep everyone I can!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 PM

3,441 posts, read 6,325,964 times
Karen,

Nowhere in the original post did you mention YouMail, that's why I posted my suggestion. Unless you mentioned it in another thread, I was unaware.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I couldn't find anything called Blacklist (just that word) in the app store on my phone.
That's because it's an Android app, why that was suggested for someone using an iPhone I have no idea

The Android platform has an almost un-ending choice of blocking apps.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Karen,

Nowhere in the original post did you mention YouMail, that's why I posted my suggestion. Unless you mentioned it in another thread, I was unaware.
Um, in the third paragraph, second sentence of my OP, I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
... I even tried youmail, which sounded like it would work, but it had so many glitches that I gave up on it.
I guess you missed that. I rep'd you anyway last night -- I DO appreciate when people are trying to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones