U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Reputation: 18083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
That's pretty much what the rep tried to explain to me....I take it to mean a $300 phone now will be $300 later?



So, just make sure it's a Verizon phone (logo on top), transfer SIM card and Data card over and activate. Then in 6 months I'm no longer obligated to Verizon? That's basically what I'm after, I figure people do that stuff all the time...I just never have or how exactly to go about doing it. I had just convinced her to hold off 6 months so we can work a deal to get her the phone she wants in December when the contract was up. Hmmm...maybe it wasn't an accident.
I thought this as well .But my contract is up and they are basically offering me a Iphone 4 for free; A Iphone 5 for 199.00 or samsung S4 for same 199.00. with new 2 year contract .Order on line and pickup at store is only change plus a 30 dollars upgrade fee. My wife has Iphone 4 and same offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,566,490 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thought this as well .But my contract is up and they are basically offering me a Iphone 4 for free; A Iphone 5 for 199.00 or samsung S4 for same 199.00. with new 2 year contract .Order on line and pickup at store is only change plus a 30 dollars upgrade fee. My wife has Iphone 4 and same offers.
That's interesting because with 6 months left on my deal the best they offered was $300 for an iPhone5, $150ish for a 4S, and $70 for a 4. Maybe you had an iphone already so you got a better offer...who knows?

I ended up getting a refurbished strat for $90 off Amazon and had no problems changing it over. I could do it all online; didn't even have to speak to a Verizon rep. I consider it a small victory. We will see what happens 6 months from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM
 
1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I was at Staples the other day and they had very inexpensive prepaid Verizon phones which should work, so buy one and then call Verizon and tell them you have one of these prepaids that you got as a gift and see what they say and if they refuse then you can always return it. I had done the same with Tmobile and they never had an issue with it.
Verizon Wireless Samsung Gusto
Verizon Wireless Samsung Intensity
Verizon Wireless LG Extravert
Verizon will require that prepaid phone to be on a pre paid account for 6 months before they will put it on a post paid account been there done that tried that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Reputation: 18083
no I have a envy and am not really interested n upgrading. Perhaps its once your contract runs out as if I recall right they were higher before contract ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Reputation: 3076
You are thinking of the old days when there were 1 and 2 year contracts. The 1 year contract price was higher than the 2 year contract price, but still less than full retail price. On the average, it was between $50 - $100 higher between 1 and 2 year contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times
Reputation: 22404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post

So, just make sure it's a Verizon phone (logo on top), transfer SIM card and Data card over and activate. Then in 6 months I'm no longer obligated to Verizon? That's basically what I'm after, I figure people do that stuff all the time...I just never have or how exactly to go about doing it. I had just convinced her to hold off 6 months so we can work a deal to get her the phone she wants in December when the contract was up. Hmmm...maybe it wasn't an accident.
Verizon are CDMA phones, they don't have a SIM card. They must be "activated" by the provider. You can also buy any VERIZON branded phone in the universe (i.e. eBay or Amazon), and use it until you upgrade.

My experience with Verizon is that if you don't upgrade "immediately", they get a little concerned about it and start throwing discounted offers your way. I don't know if that is true for iPhones, or not, but I sure wouldn't be chomping at the bit. Let THEM come to YOU and most likely there will be a deal involved. Although, I cannot say for certain.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,566,490 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Verizon are CDMA phones, they don't have a SIM card. They must be "activated" by the provider. You can also buy any VERIZON branded phone in the universe (i.e. eBay or Amazon), and use it until you upgrade.

My experience with Verizon is that if you don't upgrade "immediately", they get a little concerned about it and start throwing discounted offers your way. I don't know if that is true for iPhones, or not, but I sure wouldn't be chomping at the bit. Let THEM come to YOU and most likely there will be a deal involved. Although, I cannot say for certain.

20yrsinBranson
Unless my terminology is wrong...I don't believe it is, my stratosphere has a SIM card. I went online, logged into my acct, slected the phone I wanted to switch, entered the "new" esn, updated it and everything worked. Hopefully tis info can help someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 AM
 
547 posts, read 995,661 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Unless my terminology is wrong...I don't believe it is, my stratosphere has a SIM card. I went online, logged into my acct, slected the phone I wanted to switch, entered the "new" esn, updated it and everything worked. Hopefully tis info can help someone else.
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but this helps. I have a Samsung GS3 I got as an upgrade with Verizon a year ago. I hate the thing. My brother upgraded to the new iphone 5s today and is giving me his iphone 4s (also Verizon). I want to activate the 4s to use until my contract with Verizon is up next year. You are saying I should be able to do this online, with no renewal of my current contract, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM
 
890 posts, read 1,566,490 times
Reputation: 953
If his phone has been removed from his account and not tied to a contract, I don't see why you couldn't. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I would try it and if it doesn't work, give Verizon a call....maybe even have a 3-way call with your brother, you and Verizon if you have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top