Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

So I have been with T-Mobile for years. My 2 year contact has ended and I want to renew and get a new phone. BUT, it seems they are nor discounting phones at all with a new contract. Am I missing something? They used to heavily discount phone if you resigned. Can't see paying $400 for a new phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Was looking at Blackberry Q10. T-moble charging full price, 599. Verizon 199 with 2 year plan. AT&T 199. Why would I resign with T-Mobile and pay 599? I MUST be missing something.

Last edited by cdcdguy; 07-08-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
T-Mobile is NO longer subsidizing their phone prices anymore and have done away with annual service contracts.

They are doing what basically, the rest of the world does. Create a separation between buying your phone and your service contract. The subsidized model for selling phones is on its way out.

The good news is that you can pay for your phone up front or in payments.

We are the only country in the world that 'ties' the phone to the service contract in the fashion most Americans have become accustomed to. Some might not like it, others might love it. I think its great for consumers to have choices and make up their own minds as to which works best for them.

Take this phone for example. It spells it out for you:

Down Payment:
$19.99

Monthly Payment: +$17 x 24/mo.
If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on phone becomes due.

Down payment
$19.99

Or pay in full today at checkout
$427.99

Not being tied for 2 years to a phone and contract is a win for consumers IMHO,

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Yeah the T-Mobile deal will actually be cheaper for you in the long run. Subsidized phones are/were/will always be a bad deal for the consumer. You end up paying a lot more than $400 for the phone in a 2 year contract, especially if you try and opt out.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Yeah the T-Mobile deal will actually be cheaper for you in the long run. Subsidized phones are/were/will always be a bad deal for the consumer. You end up paying a lot more than $400 for the phone in a 2 year contract, especially if you try and opt out.
I actually never thought about it like this. Makes sense though...

Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
So I have been with T-Mobile for years. My 2 year contact has ended and I want to renew and get a new phone. BUT, it seems they are nor discounting phones at all with a new contract. Am I missing something? They used to heavily discount phone if you resigned. Can't see paying $400 for a new phone.
Quote:
Was looking at Blackberry Q10. T-moble charging full price, 599. Verizon 199 with 2 year plan. AT&T 199. Why would I resign with T-Mobile and pay 599? I MUST be missing something.
Was on T-Mo for 8 years then ended up on Verizon for two, now back on T-Mo. My "$99" phone on Verizon had a full retail value of just over $500. My monthly bill with Verizon was over $90 a month for essentially basic smartphone service. My monthly bill with T-Mo is currently just over $60/month, including paying down the remaining balance on my phone. With Verizon I had unlimited data (no particular speed value), and 700 minutes with I forgot how many allotted text messages/month. With T-Mo, I have unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 500 MB of 4G, that slows down to 3G or 2G once I surpass the 500 MB. My data connection with T-Mo is faster than what it was with Verizon and I see no difference between when I am using the 4G or when I am using 3G or 2G. My Verizon phone was top-of-the-line when it was released. My T-Mo phone is rather low-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
T-Mobile is NO longer subsidizing their phone prices anymore and have done away with annual service contracts.

They are doing what basically, the rest of the world does. Create a separation between buying your phone and your service contract. The subsidized model for selling phones is on its way out.

We are the only country in the world that 'ties' the phone to the service contract in the fashion most Americans have become accustomed to. Some might not like it, others might love it. I think its great for consumers to have choices and make up their own minds as to which works best for them.
What Americans do not realize with the U.S. model is that we are charged the difference in subsidy vs. full price over the course of our contracts. In the end, we all end up paying full price for our phones even though we believe that "$99" for a phone now is an awesome deal.

When did Americans ever care how the rest of the World does?

Last edited by K-Luv; 07-10-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Like others have said you don't have to pay the full price you can give a down payment and then every month pay $10-20 (depending on the phone) a month for the next 24 months. For example, today my mother upgraded to an LG Optimus L9 (came with android 4.1) she only paid $19.99 for it and will pay $10 monthly for the next 24 months until its paid off. Also, t-mobile announced today a program that they call jump which will allow you to upgrade your phone twice a year; don't know all the details but you can research it on your own.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 AM

Thanks all. I ended up going on my wife's Verizon plan and using her newer Blackberry Bold that she was no longer using. So, no phone cost and saving about 30 bucks a month over having my old T-Mobile account.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I ended up going on my wife's Verizon plan and using her newer Blackberry Bold that she was no longer using. So, no phone cost and saving about 30 bucks a month over having my old T-Mobile account.
To each his own, though I highly doubt you'd save more on Verizon; isn't it supposed to be the most expensive of the big cell phone providers?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

Take this phone for example. It spells it out for you:

Down Payment:
$19.99

Monthly Payment: +$17 x 24/mo.
If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on phone becomes due.

Down payment
$19.99

Or pay in full today at checkout
$427.99

Not being tied for 2 years to a phone and contract is a win for consumers IMHO,
I take it this is for only new customers or those whose contracts expired after the contract policies were eliminated.
We renewed ours at the beginning of the year and we're still tied into that BS cancellation fee-per-line thing.
I've been paying for my moms family plan for 8 years now with T-Mobile and am looking to pretty much branch out on my own seeing as how no one but work really calls me.

Pre-paid seems to be the better arrangement nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones