U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times

Advertisements

I'm going to try to explain our situation. I'll begin by saying that I do not care what someone's preference is. I'm simply trying to figure out cost comparison. When I see articles they don't seem to have apples to apples comparisons of costs for a family with 5 phones.

Currently - 2 iPhone 4s (not 4S). Their contract is up in a couple of months, although we are eligible to upgrade now. These are on Verizon. We have the 4GB share everything plan. On T-Mobile we have 3 text and voice phones (no data). The total bill for these 5 phones is in the neighborhood of $340 per month. We can't afford this and really should never have got those iPhones. No need to beat me up over this, I'm already aware how stupid I was to get into this.

What we're trying to do here is get all 5 of our phones on one or the other. We don't want data plans on anything. Just unlimited text and voice. My daughter will be going to school where Verizon is much better for coverage. However, on a recent campus visit we thought T-Mobile worked fine. My daughter is lobbying hard for all 5 of us on Verizon. I'm open to it if we can get the monthly cost below $200. (It's also possible for us to AT&T since our contracts are all up this fall. Sprint is out due to certain issues.) With Verizon, what phones are available that can do without data, and still have a keyboard? It seem like there are no options that I have found yet. Same with T-Mobile, except it seems easier to buy a used blackberry and use it as a text only device. We do have to replace 2 or 3 phones, or even, possibly all 5. If we do that, which company is going to wind up being cheaper. I assume T-Mobile, but I still haven't got my head around understand the different phone companies offerings to figure out what plans on each will cost. Can someone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
No way will you get 5 phones on VZW for under $200.
If you "bring your own phones" to T-mobile, it might be close to that.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,242,556 times
We switched from T-Mobile to Verizon with 4 phones, and the cost was almost double. We had to do it though, because the T-mobile service area was too unlimited and many rural places we went were without a signal. If you are in a city or urban area T-mobile should be fine and save a lot of $.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm going to try to explain our situation. I'll begin by saying that I do not care what someone's preference is. I'm simply trying to figure out cost comparison. When I see articles they don't seem to have apples to apples comparisons of costs for a family with 5 phones.

Currently - 2 iPhone 4s (not 4S). Their contract is up in a couple of months, although we are eligible to upgrade now. These are on Verizon. We have the 4GB share everything plan. On T-Mobile we have 3 text and voice phones (no data). The total bill for these 5 phones is in the neighborhood of $340 per month. We can't afford this and really should never have got those iPhones. No need to beat me up over this, I'm already aware how stupid I was to get into this.

What we're trying to do here is get all 5 of our phones on one or the other. We don't want data plans on anything. Just unlimited text and voice. My daughter will be going to school where Verizon is much better for coverage. However, on a recent campus visit we thought T-Mobile worked fine. My daughter is lobbying hard for all 5 of us on Verizon. I'm open to it if we can get the monthly cost below $200. (It's also possible for us to AT&T since our contracts are all up this fall. Sprint is out due to certain issues.) With Verizon, what phones are available that can do without data, and still have a keyboard? It seem like there are no options that I have found yet. Same with T-Mobile, except it seems easier to buy a used blackberry and use it as a text only device. We do have to replace 2 or 3 phones, or even, possibly all 5. If we do that, which company is going to wind up being cheaper. I assume T-Mobile, but I still haven't got my head around understand the different phone companies offerings to figure out what plans on each will cost. Can someone help?
Simple Mobile or Page Plus. Will save you a fortune. Google it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM

8,679 posts, read 9,452,941 times
T-Mobile or Verizon?

Depends if you want a phone that works outside of urban areas.

Verizon does. T-Mobile not so much.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 PM

62 posts, read 87,902 times
Quote:
What we're trying to do here is get all 5 of our phones on one or the other. We don't want data plans on anything. Just unlimited text and voice.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to activate ANY smartphone on ANY of the carriers I know about in the United States without a data plan. Just thought I would point that out. They did away with that about 5 years ago.

EDIT: Also wanted to point out that 5 phones on verizon for <$200 is also an impossibility, as the monthly access fee per phone on their Share Everything plans is $40/month. So you're already at $200 without ANY service whatsoever.

EDIT2: Didn't notice that you said 3 of the phones weren't smartphones. Still, it's impossible. And you are not going to be able to do ANYTHING with the 5 phones you currently own on T-Mobile as they use a completely different network type. iPhone 4's are CDMA phones, T-Mobile uses a GSM network. You would have to buy 5 new devices.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 PM

149 posts, read 323,522 times
We have Verizon, what they call "the bundle" package

It includes:

Land Line
4 S Iphones with the share everything plan which is new, , unlimited text, minimum minutes, lowest data to share 1 GB)
Internet
Cable tv with Dish & Dvr (the new one)

All for $300 a month

We have sliced it every possible way and for all we have it is the cheapest
The service is reliable.

Hope this helps

Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Thanks! I see Verizon is out. T-Mobile will work with my old Blackberry, and all we would need is one more used one. It is not impossible to use an old Backberry without Data plan. We use it only for text and voice. It works fine. I guess that I have my answer.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,312 times
Quote:

Verizon phones will not work on T-Mobile or AT&T networks, only on Sprint if I'm not mistaken since they use the same hardware. As for the price looking at t-mobile's website it seems like it would cost $119 (with tax already included) for 5 people on an unlimited text and talk +500MB of data plan. However, since they don't have anymore contracts you either have to pay for the phones full price or give a down-payment and then pay off the phones each month. The prices range from $4 to $21 a month for 24 months or less if you give more each month. So if you all got the most advanced flagship phones like Iphone 5, Galaxy S4, HTC ONE, Sony Xperia Z, Nokia Lumia 925 which are all $20 a month it would add $100 to your $119 bill (in total $219). If you all got a more mid-range smartphone like LG Optimus L9 which is $10 per month it would only add $50 (in total $169) or if you went for low end smartphones which can range from $4 to $9 a month like T-Mobile Prism II, Nokia Lumia 521, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, Blackberry curve 9315 the price would range from $139 to $164 depending on which of those you get Or you could pay full price for all 5 phones and pay $119 for all 5 of you.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can at 2GB data plan for $10 more per phone or $20 per line if you want truly unlimited data plan.

Keep in mind these are all estimations based on what I saw on their website, I don't know if they'd have special promotions for new customers that would make you pay less, so it'd be best to ask them.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 07-18-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Verizon phones will not work on T-Mobile or AT&T networks, only on Sprint if I'm not mistaken since they use the same hardware.
Although Verizon and Sprint do use the same cellular technology, their devices are not interchangeable. Neither carrier will activate the competition's devices on their network. Been that way for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones