Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm on the same Virgin Mobile plan you are, and I have not heard anything about them cancelling my account. I'd be tee'd off too, if they did that to me. But it's moot for me, because we're moving over to T-Mobile pay-as-you-go accounts that include data.

You should be able to "sell" your unused minutes to another Virgin Mobile customer, if you happen to know one.
I'm surprised you haven't heard, I've been told I either agree to a new plan by 8/1 or I just forfeit the $$$ in my account. Considering the last time I 'topped-off' should make me good until mid-August, I certainly plan on disputing the credit card charge. I just think it's pretty cheesey for such a big operation to be so casually willing to pick my pocket as they're doing. I doubt Branson is so hard up he need stoop to stealing ~$100 from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What's having a gift card for a store I wouldn't shop in have to do with it?

The argument is I've had a plan for at least 7-8 years that I've complied with my part by always paying on time and they were happy to take my money. Now they want to have me take a plan that's 3X the cost without giving me the option of cancelling and refunding what I already paid in good faith.
I see. That is interesting. Never heard of Virgin making such a dramatic shift like that and simply taking your money like that without CS even letting you know the money was gone after the cancellation.

As a general lesson, this is one of the issues with MVNOs that have pre-paid or monthly options. The tiny print that not many people read, basically cant allow them to change and restructure things however they want.
While I think its a terrible way to do business, it seems like maybe you feel through the cracks?

Did they inform you of your options in a letter? It sounds like CS was clueless.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I see. That is interesting. Never heard of Virgin making such a dramatic shift like that and simply taking your money like that without CS even letting you know the money was gone after the cancellation.

As a general lesson, this is one of the issues with MVNOs that have pre-paid or monthly options. The tiny print that not many people read, basically cant allow them to change and restructure things however they want.
While I think its a terrible way to do business, it seems like maybe you feel through the cracks?

Did they inform you of your options in a letter? It sounds like CS was clueless.

I received an E-mail, the only options offered are plans which don't suit me and are at least 3X what I've been paying. My point is when I originally opened my plan I was told whatever $$$ were in my account at the end of the 3 month 'top-off' cycle would carry into the next, I was never told there was an expiration time. IMO it's pretty tacky to just decide to keep my $$$ if I don't accept a different plan.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm surprised you haven't heard, I've been told I either agree to a new plan by 8/1 or I just forfeit the $$$ in my account. Considering the last time I 'topped-off' should make me good until mid-August, I certainly plan on disputing the credit card charge. I just think it's pretty cheesey for such a big operation to be so casually willing to pick my pocket as they're doing. I doubt Branson is so hard up he need stoop to stealing ~$100 from me.
Wow... that is really unexpected. Since they announced the change on 6/24, you would think they'd give at least 3 months for people to use up their balances. Definitely complain to Customer Service. They might have some leeway to give you an extra month or two.

Branson doesn't own Virgin Mobile, by the way, at least not in the US. Virgin Mobile here is 100% owned by Sprint- they just license the "Virgin" name.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Wow... that is really unexpected. Since they announced the change on 6/24, you would think they'd give at least 3 months for people to use up their balances. Definitely complain to Customer Service. They might have some leeway to give you an extra month or two.
Honestly, I think to be fair they should just refund my balance, there was never any condition of using so much time in a certain period and to impose that after 7-8 years just isn't right IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Branson doesn't own Virgin Mobile, by the way, at least not in the US. Virgin Mobile here is 100% owned by Sprint- they just license the "Virgin" name.
THANKS for that! I've never had a twitter account and don't want one but was getting tempted just to let Branson know what I thought of 'his' operation.

OOPS!

When a business treats me right I will always go out of my way to recommend them to people, by the same token, when they treat me poorly I will never miss an opportunity to spread that word either.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM

I may need to run out and buy syrup, seems to be a bit of waffling going on. The very same company that clearly told me a few weeks ago that "your plan will no longer be available" is now telling me that the changes will only affect new customers, that my plan will remain the same. Of course the message I receive when checking the $$$ I have on account contradicts that so who knows?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,899 times
I think my account may have been closed as well. I had it for emergencies and didn't really use it much at all for over 5 years, and have built up over $500 in minutes. If I find the account is still open I would love to sell those minutes cheap!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitaifun View Post
I think my account may have been closed as well. I had it for emergencies and didn't really use it much at all for over 5 years, and have built up over $500 in minutes. If I find the account is still open I would love to sell those minutes cheap!
I don't know that they allow the sale of minutes. Since I made a little noise I've now been told I can keep my original plan, I have it for emergency use and think throwing $20.00 at it every 3 months is reasonable for that use.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Wow, glad I stumbled on this one. They were on my list of pre-paid phones.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, glad I stumbled on this one. They were on my list of pre-paid phones.
Yeah, for me it was a good emergency alternative, apparently they no longer offer the plan but tell me as long as I don't change phones I can stay with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones