U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM

36,706 posts, read 33,180,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, for me it was a good emergency alternative, apparently they no longer offer the plan but tell me as long as I don't change phones I can stay with it.
I would expect that too. I'm trying to find a cheap "ditch" phone that I only need as an emergency for the next few months that isn't a complete package. I don't need any surprises like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM

58,698 posts, read 41,969,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I would expect that too. I'm trying to find a cheap "ditch" phone that I only need as an emergency for the next few months that isn't a complete package. I don't need any surprises like that.
If you only need something for a coupla months aren't the TrackPhones? you see at WallyWorld OK for that use?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM

36,706 posts, read 33,180,637 times
Quote:
If you only need something for a coupla months aren't the TrackPhones? you see at WallyWorld OK for that use?
That's what I'm checking out today. If anything it will let us stall for some time to decide game plan for getting the kiddo a permanent solution to keeping in touch with Mom and Dad.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,774,554 times
TracFone is really good for that kind of infrequent/emergencies only usage. All minutes and remaining days of service "roll over" when you add a refill card. Therefore, you can accumulate a large number of minutes or service days (or both) depending on your usage and which refill cards you buy.

Keeping track of your remaining minutes and days is as easy as it gets because that info always appears on the phone's home screen.

Text messages are treated the same as one third of a minute.

"Triple Minutes for Life" TracFone phones give you three times the face value of each refill card (in minutes, not days). Look for one of those.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,237 times
T-Mobile prepaid only requires $10 per 90 days to maintain service. For an emergency-type phone that is rarely used, that is the lowest cost service I know of. The drawback of T-Mobile prepaid is they only have a few lower cost phones. They have a gray Samsung flip phone that I think has been out for about three years, that's $30 at Walmart.

Some VA (Veterans Admin.) facilities have a store called the "Canteen" that has Tracfones that activate with one-year service. I believe they get 20 starter minutes if you activate on their web site. You can add a $20/60 min. air card (their lowest card) and get either 120 or 180 minutes, depending on whether the phone is a double-minutes or triple-minutes phone, plus another 90 service days. The VA site should have a list of facilities with the Canteen. (They are open to the public.)

Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,353,551 times
I've had a Virgin Mobile account for years and rarely use the phone because it's in the car to use for emergencies. There's over $500. dollars going down the drain because of not using it.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,689,539 times
Consider switching to Tracfone as a alternative? They now have phones which come with the TMFL (triple minutes for life) feature, which I have and the minutes WILL roll over from month to month. a simple bottom dollar 60min card nets you 180 min or MORE if you use the promo codes offered , which give you another 40 on top of your 180 minutes. The same is true for 300 minute cards, end up being almost 1000 min! They also have android phones too which do NOT require a data plan.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM

58,698 posts, read 41,969,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Consider switching to Tracfone as a alternative? They now have phones which come with the TMFL (triple minutes for life) feature, which I have and the minutes WILL roll over from month to month. a simple bottom dollar 60min card nets you 180 min or MORE if you use the promo codes offered , which give you another 40 on top of your 180 minutes. The same is true for 300 minute cards, end up being almost 1000 min! They also have android phones too which do NOT require a data plan.
Any minimum periodic charges after you buy the phone/time or can you throw it in the glove box and not worry about it?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
TracFone is really good for that kind of infrequent/emergencies only usage. All minutes and remaining days of service "roll over" when you add a refill card. Therefore, you can accumulate a large number of minutes or service days (or both) depending on your usage and which refill cards you buy.

Keeping track of your remaining minutes and days is as easy as it gets because that info always appears on the phone's home screen.

Text messages are treated the same as one third of a minute.

"Triple Minutes for Life" TracFone phones give you three times the face value of each refill card (in minutes, not days). Look for one of those.
Exactly. The LG840G is what I use and it allows TMFL.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Any minimum periodic charges after you buy the phone/time or can you throw it in the glove box and not worry about it?
Sure, just keep in mind what your end of service date is, and no problem. No periodic charges at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones