Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Anyone been using a Virgin Pay as You Go phone as an emergency phone and now they cancel the plan and won't refund the $$$ in your account? Pretty crappy way to treat customers IMO. Branson should be ashamed of the thieving ways of his company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Anyone been using a Virgin Pay as You Go phone as an emergency phone and now they cancel the plan and won't refund the $$$ in your account? Pretty crappy way to treat customers IMO. Branson should be ashamed of the thieving ways of his company.
That's always the way it's been for all prepaid plans I'm aware of. Once you add money to the phone, that money stays on the phone. No refunds.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That's always the way it's been for all prepaid plans I'm aware of. Once you add money to the phone, that money stays on the phone. No refunds.
Yes, but they're the ones canceling the plan I paid that $$$ for, I was told a 'top up' would be good to a certain date and paid in good faith, they decided not to honor that date, seems pretty cheesey to me. I'd certainly never consider any Virgin Mobile product again or recommend one.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was told a 'top up' would be good to a certain date and paid in good faith, they decided not to honor that date
Wait... what? They canceled your account before they said they would?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Wait... what? They canceled your account before they said they would?
YEP!

Because they've eliminated the plan I was using which was basically throw $20 at it every three months, 18 cents a minute and whatever you didn't use carried over. I didn't use it much, had it mainly for emergency use, and now they're keeping almost $100 of my money.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
So if you guys had a gift card for a specific store that you would never shop at anymore, would you get upset if you asked for the cash back from whatever was left on the card and the declined?

Unless you guys have seen otherwise, I am not sure what the argument is here.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 PM

That's weird. I had heard Virgin got rid of their per-minute prepaid plans, but old users were supposed to be grandfathered in. Maybe customer service can un-cancel the account? It doesn't seem like this should have happened.

This is what Virgin says about their old plans:

VirginMobileUSA payLo Plans : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

"Virgin Mobile's offer for the Basic Rate plan, also known as Pay As You Go, expired as of Jun. 24, 2013. The Basic Rate plan is no longer available to new customers nor to current customers wishing to switch plans.

Current customers with the Basic Rate plan active in an account will be grandfathered and can keep the plan until the plan is discontinued as long as they don't change plans or let their accounts expire. If a current customer with an active Basic Rate plan changes plan to a monthly plan($20, $30, or $40 per month) the Basic Rate plan will no longer be available to them."

Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
So if you guys had a gift card for a specific store that you would never shop at anymore, would you get upset if you asked for the cash back from whatever was left on the card and the declined?

Unless you guys have seen otherwise, I am not sure what the argument is here.
What's having a gift card for a store I wouldn't shop in have to do with it?

The argument is I've had a plan for at least 7-8 years that I've complied with my part by always paying on time and they were happy to take my money. Now they want to have me take a plan that's 3X the cost without giving me the option of cancelling and refunding what I already paid in good faith.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
That's weird. I had heard Virgin got rid of their per-minute prepaid plans, but old users were supposed to be grandfathered in. Maybe customer service can un-cancel the account? It doesn't seem like this should have happened.

This is what Virgin says about their old plans:

VirginMobileUSA payLo Plans : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

"Virgin Mobile's offer for the Basic Rate plan, also known as Pay As You Go, expired as of Jun. 24, 2013. The Basic Rate plan is no longer available to new customers nor to current customers wishing to switch plans.

Current customers with the Basic Rate plan active in an account will be grandfathered and can keep the plan until the plan is discontinued as long as they don't change plans or let their accounts expire. If a current customer with an active Basic Rate plan changes plan to a monthly plan($20, $30, or $40 per month) the Basic Rate plan will no longer be available to them."
But when they discontinue a plan you've had for years they cancel your service and keep the money you've already paid in good faith unless you agree to another plan at 3X the cost. Not only do I not need/want their replacement, I think their way of doing business is at best 2nd rate BS.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
I'm on the same Virgin Mobile plan you are, and I have not heard anything about them cancelling my account. I'd be tee'd off too, if they did that to me. But it's moot for me, because we're moving over to T-Mobile pay-as-you-go accounts that include data.

You should be able to "sell" your unused minutes to another Virgin Mobile customer, if you happen to know one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones