U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
Reputation: 3723

Advertisements

The whole “Apple is only marketing” meme is a myth. Samsung alone has four times the advertising budget of Apple. The Price of Competition: Apple

Android appeals to users who either (a) want a smartphone at a low price point or (b) want customization. iOS appeals to people who want a controlled, stable and consistent experience without much fuss—and are willing to pay a premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Reputation: 8063
I don't know how you can say that.
Apple isn't "only marketing" but they got to where they are BY marketing.
And then Samsung outspends Apple in Marketing and goes from worst to first. You don't see a connection there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't know how you can say that.
Apple isn't "only marketing" but they got to where they are BY marketing.
And then Samsung outspends Apple in Marketing and goes from worst to first. You don't see a connection there?
Every company markets products—that’s how business works. Some people say that Apple is “only marketing” to imply that the products are snake-oil, which is absurd and untrue. Apple markets no more, and sometimes quite a bit less, than similar companies. If their products are popular it’s more than marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Reputation: 8063
Totally agree that Apple is much more then marketing. But there is no way they would get to where they are today without that very first ad blitz for the iPods.
Apple certainly was the marketing leader back then. NO ONE spent Apple kind of money advertising MP3 players back then. Today they only spend quite a bit less then Samsung, and that's about it.
The iPod was no way near the very first mp3 player. Ever see a Creative\Rio\Sansa commercial for any of their mp3 players? Nope. Apple came out the the iPod, marketed the hell out of it, and quickly became number 1. A good product, certainly. The best? No.

Then the iPhone came out and that ubiquitous ad slogan: "there's an app for that" which they don't even use anymore but is it so heavily ingrained into modern culture that the phrase will never die. Brilliant marketing got Apple to where they are. Quality products kept them where they are.
Now Samsung is doing great marketing, making commercials people love and making quality products. And what's happening??
Marketing is King. Advertising is King. One of the largest US companies is an advertising company (Google, after all, is really first and foremost an advertiser) and if you have a well made product to back it up? You become Apple.

Another good example is Kindle v. Nook. Both good products.
At least in my market last year I started seeing Kindle commercials after Halloween. I didn't see a Nook commercial until the first week of December. And B&N reported horrific holiday sales while Kindle shattered Amazon sales records.
It's not because Amazon makes a better product. It's because they let people know about the product and made it look fun with quality commercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 04:14 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,385 posts, read 21,058,877 times
Reputation: 23897
Default We lack data for the claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
while Kindle shattered Amazon sales records
We don't know that. Amazon has never released Kindle sales numbers.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/am...bers-1C7275558
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally agree that Apple is much more then marketing. But there is no way they would get to where they are today without that very first ad blitz for the iPods.
Apple certainly was the marketing leader back then. NO ONE spent Apple kind of money advertising MP3 players back then. Today they only spend quite a bit less then Samsung, and that's about it.
The iPod was no way near the very first mp3 player. Ever see a Creative\Rio\Sansa commercial for any of their mp3 players? Nope. Apple came out the the iPod, marketed the hell out of it, and quickly became number 1. A good product, certainly. The best? No.

Then the iPhone came out and that ubiquitous ad slogan: "there's an app for that" which they don't even use anymore but is it so heavily ingrained into modern culture that the phrase will never die. Brilliant marketing got Apple to where they are. Quality products kept them where they are.
Now Samsung is doing great marketing, making commercials people love and making quality products. And what's happening??
Marketing is King. Advertising is King. One of the largest US companies is an advertising company (Google, after all, is really first and foremost an advertiser) and if you have a well made product to back it up? You become Apple.

Another good example is Kindle v. Nook. Both good products.
At least in my market last year I started seeing Kindle commercials after Halloween. I didn't see a Nook commercial until the first week of December. And B&N reported horrific holiday sales while Kindle shattered Amazon sales records.
It's not because Amazon makes a better product. It's because they let people know about the product and made it look fun with quality commercials.
If you have a lousy product the largest marketing budget in the world is not going to help. Apple’s great strength is usability and design. There’s a reason why Samsung more or less photocopied the original iPhone. They knew that they couldn’t develop an original design before Apple had overwhelming market share (like the iPod). If they wanted to compete at all they had no choice but to mimic the design.

Apple’s great innovation is not technology but elegance, simplicity and usability. That’s what they “market.” Design can seem so abstract that it may look like “marketing the marketing,” but it’s no small thing. The iPod, iPhone and iPad are successful because they distill and refine technology in way that makes it a joy to use. The iPod wasn’t successful because it was well marketed. It was successful because it was a great product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM
 
3,740 posts, read 3,966,883 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The whole “Apple is only marketing” meme is a myth. Samsung alone has four times the advertising budget of Apple. The Price of Competition: Apple

Android appeals to users who either (a) want a smartphone at a low price point or (b) want customization. iOS appeals to people who want a controlled, stable and consistent experience without much fuss—and are willing to pay a premium.
Apple has done the best job of making compelling ads that highlight key features of the iPhone/iPad and iOS. Samsung is the first Android OEM to make creative and catchy ads that tout features of their handsets.

Just because a company has a massive marketing budget doesn't mean that money is going to be used effectively. One only needs to look at the awful Sufrace ads and the big failure that product has been for Microsoft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top