U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,764 posts, read 3,980,047 times
Reputation: 665

Advertisements

What to you know is better?

I say Android
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Back and Forth FRANCE
2,716 posts, read 2,649,905 times
Reputation: 1477
Iphone is probably better for those who don't need a lot of customization. Easy to use phone.
Pretty basic in my opinion. Nothing is wrong with that.

Android is better if you really want to make it everything you want, a lot of customization. Android has a lot features people either don't know about, or don't really need, or just don't use.
Got a family member a Galaxy s3 for their first smartphone and it's like trying to teach rocket science.


Itunes app store is definitely the better App store. Alot of trash on the google play store. Apple screens the apps. With google play $25 is all that separates some one with bad intent from putting something that can destroy your phone, or just a plain crappy app on the app store. Google does not screen the apps.

I personally like the Android phones better. At least anything made by Samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,121 posts, read 9,729,762 times
Reputation: 5947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Iphone is probably better for those who don't need a lot of customization. Easy to use phone.
Pretty basic in my opinion. Nothing is wrong with that.

Android is better if you really want to make it everything you want, a lot of customization. Android has a lot features people either don't know about, or don't really need, or just don't use.
Got a family member a Galaxy s3 for their first smartphone and it's like trying to teach rocket science.


Itunes app store is definitely the better App store. Alot of trash on the google play store. Apple screens the apps. With google play $25 is all that separates some one with bad intent from putting something that can destroy your phone, or just a plain crappy app on the app store. Google does not screen the apps.

I personally like the Android phones better. At least anything made by Samsung.
I agree with most of this, but the iTunes app on Windows is (I'm told) wretched garbage.

I just got an LG Android phone. It has a lot of features I would rather not have (Big Brother Google Is Watching). But then, my previous iPhone 3 also had a lot of features I would rather not have. I simply ignore them, on either phone.

The apps I like are available on both iTunes and the Appstore. Except, the jigsaw puzzle app I like runs far better on the iPad than it does on the Nexus 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,580 posts, read 17,758,949 times
Reputation: 14409
The app that I use constantly in my job is available for both iPhones and Androids, but I'm told it works much better on the iPhone. In fact, the iPhone is "highly recommended" by my company for all of its contractors (like me). I don't know how typical that is; just throwing it out there for consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Reputation: 846
Depends entirely on the person, the tasks and functions that person expects the device to perform and how those tasks and functions need to perform and be implemented to be satisfactory. Not to mention other factors like current tech ecosystem each person has built for themselves as well as general preference of features vs. battery vs. form factor vs. build material vs. .............

Neither is definitively better than the other. If they truly were, there would only be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The app that I use constantly in my job is available for both iPhones and Androids, but I'm told it works much better on the iPhone. In fact, the iPhone is "highly recommended" by my company for all of its contractors (like me). I don't know how typical that is; just throwing it out there for consideration.
That could simply mean that they put more time and money into building the iPhone app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Reputation: 12847
Neither is better than the other in all aspects. They certainly have a lot to learn from each-other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
 
7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The app that I use constantly in my job is available for both iPhones and Androids, but I'm told it works much better on the iPhone. In fact, the iPhone is "highly recommended" by my company for all of its contractors (like me). I don't know how typical that is; just throwing it out there for consideration.
Unfortunately, that's the case with a lot of apps.

I like Android, but in addition to general slowness and crashiness, it's also plagued with half-hearted ports that work fine on iOS, but on Android they look and work like they were slapped together as a final project in a high school programming class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM
 
2,349 posts, read 4,563,104 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Depends entirely on the person, the tasks and functions that person expects the device to perform and how those tasks and functions need to perform and be implemented to be satisfactory. Not to mention other factors like current tech ecosystem each person has built for themselves as well as general preference of features vs. battery vs. form factor vs. build material vs. .............

Neither is definitively better than the other. If they truly were, there would only be one.
I disagree.

Androids are a lot more user friendly: standard hardware such as USB cables and chargers, easily replaceable batteries, no need for restrictive iTunes (Androids work more like a standard MP3 player as a mass storage device that happens to play music and make phone calls), no syncing hassles, more 3rd party software. A lot more free stuff. More standardized.

My opinion is Apple markets a lot more - associates celebrities with the Apple brand due to Apple's adoption of DRM - celebrities like that and are more likely to lend themselves to Apple marketing. People buy what is most marketed to them. Consumers are influenced by celebrities.

If it were up to blind sampling and double blind market research, very few people would buy Apple over Android. Through all the cool marketing messages in and it is a different ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,561,901 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I disagree.

Androids are a lot more user friendly: standard hardware such as USB cables and chargers, easily replaceable batteries, no need for restrictive iTunes (Androids work more like a standard MP3 player as a mass storage device that happens to play music and make phone calls), no syncing hassles, more 3rd party software. A lot more free stuff. More standardized.
I work with 500ish users and most of them feel that iPhones are much more user friendly and prefer to pay more for accessories because of it. It's a very mixed group and there are very mixed reviews on which OS is preferred. Some swear by android, most cling to iPhone's familiar interface. Old, young, doesn't matter. I rarely hear people suggest that android is more user-friendly. More PRACTICAL, maybe, which I agree with, but the familiarity and the uniformity of iOS makes it a more comfortable device for less technical people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
My opinion is Apple markets a lot more - associates celebrities with the Apple brand due to Apple's adoption of DRM - celebrities like that and are more likely to lend themselves to Apple marketing. People buy what is most marketed to them. Consumers are influenced by celebrities.

If it were up to blind sampling and double blind market research, very few people would buy Apple over Android. Through all the cool marketing messages in and it is a different ball game.
Marketing isn't an indication of usability or general popular opinion. I completely disagree that the main reason people buy iPhones is because of marketing. Marketing helps but the sheer number of android phones sold vs iPhones is proof enough that marketing alone won't get the market share. The reason people buy iPhones and iPads and iWhatevers is because of the consistency of the operating systems and the ecosystem that Apple have created. Once you buy into Apple's ecosystem, it takes quite a lot to remove yourself from it. But most people like the integration. iTunes + iCloud + apple product integration on everything from refrigerators to car stereos to probably toilets by now....it's a powerful (and extremely profitable) movement Apple has been able to create.

To be clear, I am an AVID android user. I quite dislike iDevices. I just know what my common user experiences are because I deal with them and their complaints daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top