U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM

10,959 posts, read 15,247,610 times

Advertisements

I viewed usage on their website. A call that started at 9:07pm and lasted 53 minutes is being billed as "peak." Peak ends at 9:00pm EST.
I called Verizon and they can not, based on FEDERAL LAW (FCC) look at my billable calls, etc. until after the billing cycle is over and the paper bill is in my hand.
Then we can try to dispute the call.

So, for those of you who never analyze your Verizon bills to see what calls you are, and are not, being charged for, then you need to just assume it is accurate and pay the bill and if they have used some tricks of the trade to get you to pay for non billable calls, then go ahead and pay.

Otherwise you need to scan and rescan your bill to make sure you are not being charged for non billable calls.

I can not recommend Verizon to anyone.

Not to mention "back billing" whereby they can charge you for calls that you made up to 90 days ago, but were not on your current bill because of "unknown delays."

In closing, if I had not looked online and just waited until I got the bill in the mail in a couple weeks and paid it, I'd likely have many overage minutes billed at 45 cents a minute, and not even know about this 53 minute call that clearly came during non peak hours.

Avoid Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I viewed usage on their website. A call that started at 9:07pm and lasted 53 minutes is being billed as "peak." Peak ends at 9:00pm EST.
I called Verizon and they can not, based on FEDERAL LAW (FCC) look at my billable calls, etc. until after the billing cycle is over and the paper bill is in my hand.
Then we can try to dispute the call.
This makes sense. You cannot dispute a bill which hasn't been generated yet.
Quote:

So, for those of you who never analyze your Verizon bills to see what calls you are, and are not, being charged for, then you need to just assume it is accurate and pay the bill and if they have used some tricks of the trade to get you to pay for non billable calls, then go ahead and pay.

Otherwise you need to scan and rescan your bill to make sure you are not being charged for non billable calls.
I agree with you... If you're being charged for minute overages, then review your bill. My bill is the same every month because I don't go over my minutes. So I never look at the call details. I just review the usage summary and pay.
Quote:

I can not recommend Verizon to anyone.

Not to mention "back billing" whereby they can charge you for calls that you made up to 90 days ago, but were not on your current bill because of "unknown delays."
These delays are only unknown to your provider because the delays are typically the result of another provider. Not your own. Verizon cannot be held responsible if Sprint reports a call later than usual.
Quote:

In closing, if I had not looked online and just waited until I got the bill in the mail in a couple weeks and paid it, I'd likely have many overage minutes billed at 45 cents a minute, and not even know about this 53 minute call that clearly came during non peak hours.

Avoid Verizon.
Why would you have just "got the bill in the mail in a couple weeks and paid it" without reviewing it in paper form?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Verizon Share Everything plans offer unlimited domestic voice and text. Do you have an older voice plan? Are you basing that 9:07 pm phone call on a home clock or on the phone's clock display? If relying on a home clock, it might not match the Verizon billing clock.

The "back billing" item you mentioned only occurs when you are roaming outside your local area and that is customary and legitimate on all cellular carriers. There are no additional roaming charges anywhere in the US, but your reported usage can be delayed if it is not on the Verizon network.

I have used Verizon for over 5 years and I have no problem with them. I highly recommend Verizon to my friends and family who are in a good coverage area.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My bill is the same every month because I don't go over my minutes. So I never look at the call details.

Why would you have just "got the bill in the mail in a couple weeks and paid it" without reviewing it in paper form?
I don't go over either, so overages in May and more in July plus delayed billed which has never happened before either, all hit my account in the last 90 days. I've been with them over 10 years and never gone over or delayed billed. Suddenly those type charges turn up. *646 is not up to date and neither is their website. I checked last late night for my usage for the current period. No calls from August 6th were listed. So even the website was at least 24 hours behind the real numbers.

What I meant there was some people make all the calls they want and don't look their bill over, just pay it. $5.00 here or there means nothing to some people. Many higher income persons don't check their bills for errors or mis-billing,, they just pay it and forget it. Phone, medical, etc.
Verizon has now taught me to look closely at my call details. I rarely go over and went over 144 minutes two months back. *646 gave me very outdated usage details. I thought I had minutes to use the next 3-4 days and I did not. I went way over because of the "lag" in *646. Then once we straightened out that, here comes calls made before May 1st showing up on the June 13- July 12th bill. That bill had already been paid, but all calls after April 30th (through May 12th) got delayed for some reason. So way over 450 minutes again. Verizon did not give me a good reason. They said I was out of range or roaming. Ever single call originated from the house. Their explanations were full of holes. I may switch to Virgin mobile pay as you go, and and get 1500 minutes instead of 450 and save $16.00 a month at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Verizon Share Everything plans offer unlimited domestic voice and text. Do you have an older voice plan? Are you basing that 9:07 pm phone call on a home clock or on the phone's clock display? If relying on a home clock, it might not match the Verizon billing clock.
I go by my phone's clock. I've been with them a long time and grandfathered into the 450 minute plan.

Here is a question that Verizon manager and customer service could not answer. I asked: How do Verizon customers manage their minutes if there is delayed billing of up to 90 days, *646 is not accurate, and the website is not accurate? How can we be confident in how many minutes we have used so we can budget and manage our minutes without going over? The manager told me, just check the website every day and realize it can be 24-48 days behind.

Please..... we should not have to go to a computer and check usage 365 days a year. Verizon service is not worth that type of inconvenience.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Roaming airtime off network cannot be estimated with any cellular carrier when it is billed by a different carrier. This is clearly stipulated in the Terms and Conditions of service and dialing * 646 also confirms this. I was a CS rep for At&t for 7 years and it was no different. You used those minutes and the overages are legitimate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,459,805 times
Quote:
Verizon has now taught me to look closely at my call details.
This is good advice for any vendor. You should never just assume your bill is correct. When you get a bill that differs from your regular payment, you should always review it to see why that is.

As for delayed billing, that is unfortunately a thing in the industry. It has been since the advent of roaming in the 1980s. While your plan may include all roaming costs, that doesn't mean your phone is never actually roaming. Even if your phone still has a roaming indicator and even if it never comes on, you may still enter a roaming area. The fact that we as consumers no longer pay roaming charges is great, but it also means most people have forgotten about (or may never have heard of) roaming.

When you roam, it takes the roaming host carrier's billing system a full cycle to settle your usage. Once that happens, they bill your home carrier for your usage, and your home carrier passes the cost on to you. This may come in the form of a roaming fee (unlikely these days) or additional minutes taken from your bucket. That appears on your next billing cycle, since your minutes are always billed for the previous cycle (unlike your monthly fee, which is billed for the upcoming cycle).

So if you roam on June 5th, the foreign carrier won't process that until the beginning of July, when they'll add it to your home carrier's roaming tariff. Your home carrier settles that in the beginning of August, at which point they add it to your bill, which you might not receive until September.

I agree that it's a terrible system and there's no technical reason why it can't be settled instantly. It's an unfortunate case of the fact that wireless companies make massive mountains of profit, so why change anything?

It is not, however, exclusive to Verizon. This can happen on any wireless carrier. Given the fragmented nature of GSM, it is actually more likely to happen on AT&T and T-Mobile (and far more likely to happen on the small regional carriers like Immix) than on a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon. It's also probably more likely to happen on the carriers with smaller home networks, such as T-Mobile, Sprint, and all the small regional carriers.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Roaming airtime off network cannot be estimated with any cellular carrier when it is billed by a different carrier. This is clearly stipulated in the Terms and Conditions of service and dialing * 646 also confirms this. You used those minutes and the overages are legitimate.
I was not roaming. All calls were made from inside our house.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I was not roaming. All calls were made from inside our house.
You don't have to travel far to go off network. It all depends on which network your phone connects to. By default, the phone is pre-programmed with a list of preferred networks. If the phone cannot connect to one of those networks, it will roam. Look careful at your airtime and it will indicate whether or not you were roaming off network.

I wish it were simpler, but it isn't. As stated previously, you did use those minutes and are responsible for the airtime overages. If you try a friendly, non-confrontational approach with CS, they might waive the overages as a one time courtesy.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM

America's Choice 450

Allowance does not include promotional minutes. (I have 50 to use toward oveage but they were only good for 60 days and expire tomorrow)

what does this mean? >> Unbilled usage and overage amounts are not available for this plan.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
America's Choice 450

Allowance does not include promotional minutes. (I have 50 to use toward oveage but they were only good for 60 days and expire tomorrow)

what does this mean? >> Unbilled usage and overage amounts are not available for this plan.

That part of your post is what I was referring to as roaming (off-network).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones