Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM

149 posts, read 346,174 times

Advertisements

Does upgrading a smart phone's OS delete contacts, pictures, texts etc. that are saved on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,243,099 times
Not typically. Works the same as upgrading the OS on your computer. Most of the time, all data is retained as is but occasionally you have to reformat the internal memory and lose everything. The best advice is to back up the stored info/data/pictures on an external storage device. Yes, most of those items are stored in the phone. Most cellular carriers make it simple to restore your phone contacts, even if you have a catastrophic loss on the device.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM

16,495 posts, read 19,549,493 times
If you are doing the update that the carrier pushes out to your phone, called an OTA (Over The Air) update, you lose nothing. Ever.
If you try to do one manually, as some people do, it can wipe your phone if you aren't careful.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you are doing the update that the carrier pushes out to your phone, called an OTA (Over The Air) update, you lose nothing. Ever.
If you try to do one manually, as some people do, it can wipe your phone if you aren't careful.
This is one from ATT that they sent to me via text. It says to go online and do it from a computer, not my phone. I assume this is an OTA update?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,913,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
This is one from ATT that they sent to me via text. It says to go online and do it from a computer, not my phone. I assume this is an OTA update?
I've never heard of that. Honestly that sounds borderline scam to me. Most OTA updates are sent directly to the phone. I could be wrong, and I suppose there's a first for everything.

What model phone do you have?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
I've never heard of that. Honestly that sounds borderline scam to me. Most OTA updates are sent directly to the phone. I could be wrong, and I suppose there's a first for everything.

What model phone do you have?
It's a Samsung Galaxy S2. It's basically a notification that the new OS is available and I can visit the website listed (which is the Samsung site for ATT Galaxy S2) to upgrade.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Agree with Harrisburg. Delete that txt and ignore it.
You check for updates from within the phone settings itself. Always.
Now I believe the S2 DID just get an update but still... you should not have to do this from anywhere else but the phone.
//EDIT// The S2 INTERNATIONAL Edition got an update in China and Korea. Not here. But try the below anyway...

Find and press the settings button. It can be found together with your applications or in some cases on your homescreen.
Once there press the tab named about phone.
Towards the bottom of this screen press the software update tab.
A screen will pop up where you will have to confirm your choice.
Downloading a new version of Android can take some time depending on how big the upgrade is.
When it’s done your phone will restart and when it boots again you will be updated.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,243,099 times
The notification some of you are scared about is not SPAM. The last OS update on my Samsung S4 was accomplished by connecting my phone to my computer via USB. The advantage is that the data connection is more reliable and the data transferred is not counted against your monthly allowance. In addition, while plugged via USB, the phone will continue to charge and not go dead half-way through the download/installation.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM

I've never had an issue downloading an update over Wifi, which won't use her data.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,250,550 times
Samsung uses a a program called Kies to update software to their phones.

You download this software before plugging it into the PC. When it installs (I think a reboot is needed after) then start the application on the PC and plug in your device.
Samsung Content & Services | About Us

This application will officially let you know if you have an update available.

Generally speaking with the updates these days, you should not lose your data. That data is saved on another partition not related to the OS update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones