U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,359,160 times

Advertisements

So I am at the end of my 2 years with VZ and want to dump them for numerous reasons. A person reco'd page plus but does that require an unlocked phone?

Regardless I would like to unlock the phone since its an INC2 and has both CDMA and GSM. I bought it for the future unlock reason, pop a GSM in it in Europe and such.

Does anyone know of software paid or not, that allows me to unlock the carrier on my INC2.

Disclaimer-I am not looking to root phone, just switch carriers. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Only GSM carriers (At&t, T-Mobile) can use unlocked phones. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology. The trick is getting Page Plus to "flash" your Verizon phone to work on their network. You don't need to ask Verizon to do any unlocking in your quest.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Only GSM carriers (At&t, T-Mobile) can use unlocked phones. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology. The trick is getting Page Plus to "flash" your Verizon phone to work on their network. You don't need to ask Verizon to do any unlocking in your quest.
Thank you do you find call quality the same with PP as VZ? I ask because call quality very important, it's how I take interview calls when not at home, and yes I lost my job and have no income so price is important too.

When I was working I would use just under 2 gig of data, with some many wifi hotspots not as much.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
I currently use Verizon but never used Page Plus. I am very happy with Verizon's call quality in my market, but your coverage/reception might be different.

Page Plus does use the Verizon network but does not have the entire coverage area that Verizon post paid phones do. Page Plus is considered as an MVNO and leases cellular access from Verizon. I hope that helps.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I currently use Verizon but never used Page Plus. I am very happy with Verizon's call quality in my market, but your coverage/reception might be different.

Page Plus does use the Verizon network but does not have the entire coverage area that Verizon post paid phones do. Page Plus is considered as an MVNO and leases cellular access from Verizon. I hope that helps.
Wow the PP55 looks like a perfect fit for me. Thanks! Adios Vz

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,805,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thank you do you find call quality the same with PP as VZ? I ask because call quality very important, it's how I take interview calls when not at home, and yes I lost my job and have no income so price is important too.

When I was working I would use just under 2 gig of data, with some many wifi hotspots not as much.
PP is Vz, you just have a prepaid service. The voice mail has a Vz message. Texting is Vz text. It's like living in their brain rather than paying for their service. There's no paper billing, no taxes, no Obamaphone surcharges.

When you setup, choose the PP55 (I have the 12) and dump the monthly onto a credit card for uninterrupted service. You'll get a free text message to advise the new charge is in effect. [It's actually an auto purchase of a new PP55 card] Don't add extra funds, as it turns out they abscond with those funds after a period of non use. If you're going to go over your minutes then add a $10 card if necessary - then use them. Whatever is left when the card expires is lost.

There is an app called 3G WatchDog. Install that - or something similar - before leaving your Verizon account. It will monitor your network data use and alert you if you're reaching your limit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.g3watchdog

Last edited by Willsson; 08-11-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones