U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,091,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What, like this dude here?

That's 9 & 3...Indycars and F-1 cars don't even have a 10 & 2 on their butterfly wheels.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,178,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
That's 9 & 3...Indycars and F-1 cars don't even have a 10 & 2 on their butterfly wheels.

Posted with TapaTalk
If you think that's 9 and 3, you need to have your clock re-numbered.

Indycars and F-1 cars generate up to 3,500 pounds of downforce, and unlike NASCAR they do not have power steering. The wheels are designed to maximize the drivers' upper-body strength in wrenching the wheel through as many as 150 turns per minute in a car with an effective weight of up to 5,000 pounds and no power steering. Obviously that's a very different situation than driving at normal speeds with normal steering effort on normal public roads.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,091,456 times
We disagree with what's 9-3 and 2-10.

No biggie but, using your own reasoning about a normal passenger car, there's no need to have something beep when you have your arm on an armrest, etc.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,110 times
it should be the drivers common sence to get some kind of hands free device as well

Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,178,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
We disagree with what's 9-3 and 2-10.

No biggie but, using your own reasoning about a normal passenger car, there's no need to have something beep when you have your arm on an armrest, etc.

Posted with TapaTalk
There may not be a need for you. But if this texting culture keeps up for the next couple decades, there sure will be a need for my future driving-age teenage kids to keep their hands on 10 and 2 and not on the armrest.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times
Why do people hate liberty so much? They're not just giving it up without a fight, they're actively promoting the idea that it should be taken from them!!!

I've carried a cell phone for about 20 years - probably longer than some of the people posting in this thread have been alive. And I've used every one of them while driving, with nary an accident (or even a close call).

What we're actually talking about here is a persons ability to multitask without losing focus of their primary objective. Some people have it, and some don't.

When I'm driving, that's the most important thing I'm doing. Period. I rarely even look at the passengers in my car while talking with them because my eyes are on the road. I don't need to look at them - I can hear them just fine, and they can hear me just fine.

Like I said, it's about multitasking. You have to be able to do it, first of all, and quite literally not everyone has that ability. Second, you have to always, always prioritize those tasks using the weight of the potential negative consequences of your actions. If you're walking and chewing gum, and you focus on walking more, maybe you'll bite your cheek. If you focus on chewing more, you might walk off a cliff. Which task should you be focusing on the most? Not everyone can figure that out, for some reason.

Now with all that said, I have a hands free Bluetooth setup in my car and truck. The one in the car is a factory setup and works great; the truck... not so much. But it generally works well enough to get the job done. I have them and use them, and I don't mind all that much. I don't talk on the phone much anyway. But it irritates the hell out of me that people are DEMANDING that I not do something that I've been doing regularly for two decades without a problem, simply because THEY can't seem to do it safely. Well then, YOU don't do it. Leave ME the hell alone!

And now we have people suggesting that my phone should be completely disabled while it's in motion? Insanity! Pure insanity! You people need to take a history class or three, as you've clearly forgotten (or never learned in the first place) what it was that the founders of this nation fought and died for.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why do people hate liberty so much? They're not just giving it up without a fight, they're actively promoting the idea that it should be taken from them!!!

I've carried a cell phone for about 20 years - probably longer than some of the people posting in this thread have been alive. And I've used every one of them while driving, with nary an accident (or even a close call).

What we're actually talking about here is a persons ability to multitask without losing focus of their primary objective. Some people have it, and some don't.

When I'm driving, that's the most important thing I'm doing. Period. I rarely even look at the passengers in my car while talking with them because my eyes are on the road. I don't need to look at them - I can hear them just fine, and they can hear me just fine.

Like I said, it's about multitasking. You have to be able to do it, first of all, and quite literally not everyone has that ability. Second, you have to always, always prioritize those tasks using the weight of the potential negative consequences of your actions. If you're walking and chewing gum, and you focus on walking more, maybe you'll bite your cheek. If you focus on chewing more, you might walk off a cliff. Which task should you be focusing on the most? Not everyone can figure that out, for some reason.

Now with all that said, I have a hands free Bluetooth setup in my car and truck. The one in the car is a factory setup and works great; the truck... not so much. But it generally works well enough to get the job done. I have them and use them, and I don't mind all that much. I don't talk on the phone much anyway. But it irritates the hell out of me that people are DEMANDING that I not do something that I've been doing regularly for two decades without a problem, simply because THEY can't seem to do it safely. Well then, YOU don't do it. Leave ME the hell alone!

And now we have people suggesting that my phone should be completely disabled while it's in motion? Insanity! Pure insanity! You people need to take a history class or three, as you've clearly forgotten (or never learned in the first place) what it was that the founders of this nation fought and died for.
Blame Shawshank Redemption syndrome...
The lifer Brooks (James Whitmore) who hung himself because he was freed. "Liberty" ain't all it is cracked up to be, once the restrictions are lifted.

From Wikipedia, RE Shawshank Redemption, and applicable to a great deal of current popular yearning to be governed:

"Chicago Sun-Times film reviewer Roger Ebert suggested that The Shawshank Redemption is an allegory for maintaining one's feeling of self-worth when placed in a hopeless position. The integrity of Andy Dufresne is an important theme in the story line, especially in prison, where integrity is lacking.

Angus C. Larcombe suggests that the film provides a great illustration of how characters can be free, even in prison, or unfree, even in freedom, based on one's outlook on life."

Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 8,156,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Blame Shawshank Redemption syndrome...
The lifer Brooks (James Whitmore) who hung himself because he was freed. "Liberty" ain't all it is cracked up to be, once the restrictions are lifted.

From Wikipedia, RE Shawshank Redemption, and applicable to a great deal of current popular yearning to be governed:

"Chicago Sun-Times film reviewer Roger Ebert suggested that The Shawshank Redemption is an allegory for maintaining one's feeling of self-worth when placed in a hopeless position. The integrity of Andy Dufresne is an important theme in the story line, especially in prison, where integrity is lacking.

Angus C. Larcombe suggests that the film provides a great illustration of how characters can be free, even in prison, or unfree, even in freedom, based on one's outlook on life."
So... we have become a country full of people who either hate being free, or have no idea what it means. These whack-a-moles yearn to be governed and told what and what not to do, how to think, what to believe. They believe cell phones cause accidents, and red light cameras do not.

What an insane world this is becoming.

As soon as I see a person with that 10-2 white knuckle grip... I get far far away from them. One handed in the 9 or 3 position is where everyone should be.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-21-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,005,267 times
You cant stop anyone from using their cellphone driving or anywhere for that matter. This is just reality.
On the flip side, there are solutions such as hands free Bluetooth systems and wired headsets. There are even talk to message applications for smart phones.
The point is its one thing to preach liberty and justice if there were no other solutions. but there are. Whether you choose to ignore them or not is your right and liberty as well.
Educating the public consistently is a good way via stickers, driving simulators etc.

I say, go ahead and talk all you want while driving. Just if a cop sees you holding the phone up to your head and its the law. Well then pay for it our of your pocket with a hefty fine.
We can only protect so much...

Technically speaking there is no solution in terms of making the phone go into some kind of 'car mode'. This is a fact that I know very well. its just not going to happen, unless that company wants to go out of business for making phones that dont work in moving vehicles.

The only other way would have to be way into the future when we interact with vehicles differently. But this is decades out.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,819,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not driving saves lives.
Never leaving your house saves lives.
Not crossing streets saves lives.
None are acceptable, so there goes your premise.
We have laws. It's all a matter of what we are willing to accept as a matter of inconvenience vs safety risk. We have laws that say you can't run a red light for example. These laws save lives.

It's not my "premise" that is the problem, but a different idea on risk to law ratio. I think the inconvience of not being able to talk in a car on a cell phone is worth having to save TENS OF THOUSANDS of lives every few years.(assuming the tech exists to implement it realistically of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones