U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,818,306 times

Advertisements

Honestly, the biggest problem by far is TEXTING. If you could just disable texting in a car it would be absolutely fabulous.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Honestly, the biggest problem by far is TEXTING. If you could just disable texting in a car it would be absolutely fabulous.
I see more 50 year old business execs shooting off emails on their blackberries than I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's mostly meant for parents with driving-age teenagers. But I'm betting if the sound were annoying enough and there was no way to disable it you'd start driving with your hands at 10 and 2.
No, I'd buy a vehicle that wouldn't police me 24/7 because I don't like being labeled a criminal before I've done anything criminal.

All of these "solutions" are missing the underlying issue that responsibility is scarce and no matter the size of the punishment, we've all been brought up with the thought that "it'll never happen to me" - ask a kid what happens when he wrecks his car into a ditch and he is at fault. He will have zero idea. He may say "I have insurance, it will cover anything" which is absolutely not the case. What if his zip code is wrong on his insurance card because he forgot to update it? Insurance will throw it out, calling false information to alter rates. A million things could go wrong. We coddle our children in so many safety nets that they have no idea the scale of what could happen if something goes wrong. So we all continue to text, email, call, check youtube, play candy crush, whatever. Then the day comes that we have to be held responsible and the immediate response isn't "I f**ked up" but rather "it's not my fault!"

Education, logic and common sense is the only "solution" to this and many other "problems" that we face today.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM

258 posts, read 354,934 times
Talking on the phone is not the problem here. I am so thankful that I live in a state that is sensible about cell phone laws for drivers! Texting, emailing, checking facebook, THOSE are problems. Holding on to a phone and talking on it is not. There have been studies proving that talking on a cell phone is no more distracting that talking to a passenger in the car, and that there is no difference in whether that be using the headset or using handsfree. This is one of those examples of things that have become laws despite clear evidence that it's not really an issue, because people are reacting on emotion rather than facts. A number of studies have found having kids in the car is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, and people have been driving with kids in the car since the car was invented.

Bottom line, we are no more distracted while driving if on a cell phone than we have been by other things throughout our driving lives. Personally what I find most distracting while I am driving is having to change the radio station when I'm out of my local area and can't use the presets with the buttons on my steering wheel.

Texting is an issue while driving. Talking on the phone is not, in itself, an issue while driving.

~Katy

Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,003,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
Talking on the phone is not the problem here. I am so thankful that I live in a state that is sensible about cell phone laws for drivers! Texting, emailing, checking facebook, THOSE are problems. Holding on to a phone and talking on it is not. There have been studies proving that talking on a cell phone is no more distracting that talking to a passenger in the car, and that there is no difference in whether that be using the headset or using handsfree. This is one of those examples of things that have become laws despite clear evidence that it's not really an issue, because people are reacting on emotion rather than facts. A number of studies have found having kids in the car is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, and people have been driving with kids in the car since the car was invented.

Bottom line, we are no more distracted while driving if on a cell phone than we have been by other things throughout our driving lives. Personally what I find most distracting while I am driving is having to change the radio station when I'm out of my local area and can't use the presets with the buttons on my steering wheel.

Texting is an issue while driving. Talking on the phone is not, in itself, an issue while driving.

~Katy
Exactly.

At conventions I go to (cellular and electronics) there are simulator for texting and driving similar to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwjpT8lVi8

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 PM

1,033 posts, read 3,485,905 times
Well I admit I havent checked the status of this thread until now because I had the feeling people would just shoot the topic down because it comes up all the time.

I agree that talking on the phone should not distract you enough that it completely sacrifices your ability to pay attention.

When I started driving, the cell phone laws werent really an issue and I used my phone sometimes. I never had any problems and didnt hesitate to drop my phone if needed.

Its even a problem when people are WALKING while on the phone. People just drift off into space..

I thought most new phones came with the bluetooth/ headset stuff?

I really think that every phone should come standard with one and you should have to pay for it. Maybe if it was mandatory that you pay for it, people would use it.

And of course, from my first post, passengers would be able to use their phone. Just not the driver. Technology is more than good enough to figure this out.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,699,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If it saves lives, it's absolutely acceptable. Pull over if you need to make a phone call that urgently. You know we used to live without cell phones right?
On that basis we should ban cars.... And hammers (more people are killed every year by hammers than guns)

And pools and 5 gal buckets (more children drowned in 5 gal buckets than are killed by guns)

Why not ban electricity? People can get shocked!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Yac

5,965 posts, read 6,630,788 times
This is going nowhere constructive.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones