Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

People need to live their own lives, and let others live theirs.

There is more crap on line about cell phones and cars than truth, and the hyperbole has turned the topic into a joke, sadly.

If no one drives, it will save lives. Yep. It will.
No more para-gliding.
No rock climbing.
No bicycling.

When does it end?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I see people talking and 1 million times worse texting on their phone all the time swerving all over the road. One guy yesterday swerved into the should on the interestate around a curve going 70mph. What if someone was broke down or pulled over? Fatal accident likely.
Saw that this morning - car swerved into a left turn lane at the top of a hill then back into the lane going straight, and this is a massive(ly busy) stretch of road with a 55mph limit. Horrible..

As others have said, there's no magic bullet, but I wish there was. Disabling phones in a moving vehicle definitely isn't it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I mean it makes perfect sense.

The cell phone senses that the car is in motion and disables phone calls. Unless you have hands free or whatever other technology there is. Or you can pull over.

a close friend mentioned this to me before and it sort of surprised me that there was never a talk of this.

Personally, I do not care if you use your phone while driving. Its just most people cant drive and talk at the same time and their driving goes out the window completely.

Does Apple Iphone's stock share go up every time one of their customers crashes?

Is it a civil rights issue and would create a huge debate on personal privacy and all that?

Id think with all the contracts you need to sign initially, your practically a slave to the service provider and youd think they wanted their customers to be safe and that they would force this upon them.

I can see people getting angry that they wouldnt be able to receive or make a call while on the road, BUT, the hands free set/blue tooth enables you to.

Remember when the Iphone came out? It was exclusive to one cellular provider. Everyone that didnt have the service waited up to 3 years to get the Iphone. Nobody went crazy, they just sat there abided. No one tried to get a lawsuit

Im not picking on Iphone, just using that as an example.

What do you guys think?
We posters pretty much agree on the existence of a problem. We also pretty much agree that there is no legal solution that is very effective.

However, most of us aren't technically savvy enough to propose a technical solution - which is what I think this will require - that is affordable.

Anything can be done within three parameters: Cost, Effectiveness, Timeliness but you can only pick TWO.

If it is effective and timely, it won't be cheap.
If it is cheap and effective, it won't be timely.
If it is cheap and timely, it won't be effective.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Shouldnt cell phones go into standby mode in the car?
No.

IMO the best solution so far is an invention a group of kids came up with that emits an annoying beep if your hands are off the 10 and 2 of the wheel for more than a couple seconds.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No.

IMO the best solution so far is an invention a group of kids came up with that emits an annoying beep if your hands are off the 10 and 2 of the wheel for more than a couple seconds.
I typically drive with one thumb on the bottom of the steering wheel (tucked on the left bottom spoke) and the other hand on the shifter. I don't think it'd work for me

Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I typically drive with one thumb on the bottom of the steering wheel (tucked on the left bottom spoke) and the other hand on the shifter. I don't think it'd work for me
It's mostly meant for parents with driving-age teenagers. But I'm betting if the sound were annoying enough and there was no way to disable it you'd start driving with your hands at 10 and 2.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's mostly meant for parents with driving-age teenagers. But I'm betting if the sound were annoying enough and there was no way to disable it you'd start driving with your hands at 10 and 2.
That's a terrible idea!

10 & 2 is not always the optimal placement anyhow.

Formula One drivers NEVER do that and I don't see it practiced in Indycar or NASCAR.

If there is such a thing as the correct or optimal placement of you hands, the professionals would be employing it.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If it saves lives, it's absolutely acceptable. Pull over if you need to make a phone call that urgently. You know we used to live without cell phones right?
Not driving saves lives.
Never leaving your house saves lives.
Not crossing streets saves lives.
None are acceptable, so there goes your premise.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
That's a terrible idea!

10 & 2 is not always the optimal placement anyhow.

Formula One drivers NEVER do that and I don't see it practiced in Indycar or NASCAR.

If there is such a thing as the correct or optimal placement of you hands, the professionals would be employing it.

Posted with TapaTalk

What, like this dude here?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Self control and common sense is what will make cell phone in a vehicle safer.
Hands free if you must talk on the phone while driving or no using the telephone at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones