U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,498,022 times

Advertisements

A relative is moving up to their first smart phone and making a long story short, they do not want an iPhone or an Android. They want one of the newer Windows phones, but are concerned about the apps and their privacy safety.

I've used both iPhone and Android models but haven't done much more than play with a Win phone at the store. I know that due to a lack of some apps (like Youtube, etc) they use third party apps that do similar things. I also noted in their app store that a lot of these apps were from developers in China, Russia, etc. I know Microsoft supposedly has (or did have) a closed ecosystem with their apps and supposedly everything has been tested and passed before it makes it into their store. Is anyone aware of any issues that have ever come up with them finding any where the apps are mining personal data from the users and sending it "home" for whatever reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,106 times
As far as I could find in a few minutes of searching, there's never been any malware in the wild. Microsoft seems to have done a pretty good job both with curating the app store and with making it difficult to write such software (the chamber model, no data sharing between apps, no privilege escalation at run time, etc).

I've never had an issue on WP8. I do, however, stay away from sketchy looking third party apps. Some 3rd party apps are really good though (e.g. MetroTube, Baconit).

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM

It's pretty easy to find "best apps" mags out there for IOS and Android where they've been reviewed properly and you know whatever is in the mag is pretty legit, but it would be nice if someone did a version of that for Windows apps.

I can't remember what app it was now, but in the store I saw a third party app listed pretty high on the most popular area, but when I went into the user review area, all reviews were written and displayed in Chinese. And since Win phones rely much more on third party stuff than others, it does make you think twice. Still, the OS is very simple to figure out and for her, it's probably a good match in that regard.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's pretty easy to find "best apps" mags out there for IOS and Android where they've been reviewed properly and you know whatever is in the mag is pretty legit, but it would be nice if someone did a version of that for Windows apps.

I can't remember what app it was now, but in the store I saw a third party app listed pretty high on the most popular area, but when I went into the user review area, all reviews were written and displayed in Chinese. And since Win phones rely much more on third party stuff than others, it does make you think twice. Still, the OS is very simple to figure out and for her, it's probably a good match in that regard.
I work in this industry and work closely with all 3 major eco-systems as a consultant. WP8, while not as robust on the user experience as the other two, was built on security.

Understand that when the 'not enough apps' argument is used, its for a valid reason. Many aspects of the OS are secured where certain APIs are free to use and abuse with Android.

Here are some links to start with if you are migrating from iOS or Android. Creating a new eco system just doesnt happen overnight. Typically the industry range is about 2 years for mass adoption.

I use Nokia WP8 devices for my personal use and have yet to have one crash or need to factory reset. While I tinker with Android ROMs for my other phones at home, I always come back to my Nokias. They are just solid.
My iPhone's make for great iPods at home.

Windows Phone 8 apps | Windows Phone Central

Where's My App? | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM

14,386 posts, read 21,067,327 times
Default Windows phone is dead

Communities Dominate Brands: Ballmer Aftermath Part 1 - Future of Microsoft, especially in mobile

Good, long commentary by Tomi on why Windows Phone will be killed soon.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Communities Dominate Brands: Ballmer Aftermath Part 1 - Future of Microsoft, especially in mobile

Good, long commentary by Tomi on why Windows Phone will be killed soon.
Tomi...right. Its supposed to be about Ballmer and Windows Phone but then turns into his anti-Nokia campiagn. This guy is a total hack and his 'forecasts' are horrendous. I dont know where he formulates this stuff from and he literally has been out of the industry for well over a decade still trying to sell his 3G books.

I can tell you that for an absolute fact WP will not be killed off any time soon. Categorically false.
Now on the other hand Nokia still using WP after the 5 year contact expires remains to be seen.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you didnt buy his books though

Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I work in this industry and work closely with all 3 major eco-systems as a consultant. WP8, while not as robust on the user experience as the other two, was built on security.
That will ease her mind a bit.

Since you are in the industry, you can perhaps answer this one thing:

The "Voice assistant" features are considered gimmicks by some, but by others, somewhat useful day-to-day tools (Siri for Apple, Google Now for Android). I know that she does like these types of features. I have warned her based on my limited playing around with a Windows phone that it has a much more basic voice feature set than the other two. She is one who will want to be able to do the, "Remind me to do ** in 5 hours"... etc.

Are there any Windows apps that mimic the Siri or Android versions in terms of being more able to understand dictation and directions than what is currently built into Win phones?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
That will ease her mind a bit.

Since you are in the industry, you can perhaps answer this one thing:

The "Voice assistant" features are considered gimmicks by some, but by others, somewhat useful day-to-day tools (Siri for Apple, Google Now for Android). I know that she does like these types of features. I have warned her based on my limited playing around with a Windows phone that it has a much more basic voice feature set than the other two. She is one who will want to be able to do the, "Remind me to do ** in 5 hours"... etc.

Are there any Windows apps that mimic the Siri or Android versions in terms of being more able to understand dictation and directions than what is currently built into Win phones?
Hi atlantagreg,

There is! Microsoft has their own embedded speech delivery and receiving system called 'TellMe' or in this case they have rebranded it to Bing Voice. Its not marketed in the same way Siri is, but its very real and works great.

IMHO, its probably the most powerful system in terms of understanding dictation, accents etc, which when it comes to speech recog, is extremely difficult to properly transcribe.
Its the same dictation engine that all Microsoft operating systems use from Windows 8 OS to the new XBOX this year.
So for example when I have my Bluetooth hands free connected in the car, I can set many tasks, searches and calls without having to pick up the phone. When text messages come in, a voice prompt will ask if I would like to listen to have the text read to me and after its done I can reply to that sender with my voice and it will transcribe it. Same as all the others where you can ask it to do something and it will respond with a question.

Now, I am not saying its doing anything different or better than Google Now or Siri, but it certainly addresses most of the same commands the others do.
But be weary of internet searches. Many of them date back to 2011 and really compared to now are somewhat outdated. Its likely a retail person at a cellular store would have no clue as to how it works either. Just as an FYI.

You can read more about it here
Bing Developer Center: Speech

Bing Makes Voice Recognition on Windows Phone More Accurate and Twice as Fast - Search Blog

As far as the scheduling voice assistant, there are a few and this probably one of the better ones.
Speak Reminder | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Hope this helps

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones