U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM

23 posts, read 29,421 times

Advertisements

I just got this Samsung 3 last Friday. I switched from Boost Mobile to Verizon only because I get a good discount with Verizon through my employer and Boost was REALLY awful.

But now I’m having issues with the GS3 and Verizon.

First, I can NOT get the Calendar notifications to go off, either sound or an icon in the notification bar, for a re-occurring event I set in my calendar. This is the calendar that came with the phone, not an outside downloaded app. I have a re-occurring event for every morning that it is imperative I wake up to getting a notification or I will forget. I have the event reminder set as an on time notification and in the Calendar settings I have the “set alerts & notifications” on ALERT and I have tried it on NOTIFICATION but neither worked. I have the correct time zone. Also, in the phone settings I have the notifications on. I am using Zedge for sound notifications but even if that was interferring, I still don't get the even popping up on my Notification bar as an icon.

The funny thing is, if I actually go into the event and open it, when I close it again, the notification pops up. Also, if I do a one time event, the notifications work fine.

I don’t know what else to do.

My second problem is now that I’m with Verizon, I have only 4 GB of data on my plan. I looked at how much data I’m using and notice some apps like the Tunein Radio and Google Play Store have background data constantly running. I’m assuming this is using up my data and that kind of sucks because it’s background, I’m not even using it. I know that the Tunein Radio uses the most data because I listen to it while I’m at work but I guess I’ll have to stop doing that from now on, which makes no sense to me either because I should be able to listen to it.

How do I stop background data from running?

Or maybe I can just attached to my office's wi-fi? Will that take the radio streaming off my data plan?

And if I do go over my data limit on the plan I have, will Verizon cut me off like I’ve heard Sprint does?

I really think it’s dumb to have these data plans because the Radio that I listen to on and off, uses up almost 2 GB in a week! Seems like a money grabber effect to me, but oh well.

I could just call Customer Service, but I’m at work right now and never get a chance to sit at the phone.

Also, I’m slighty disappointed in Verizon because I was hoping to get better cell service than Boost (Boost was HORRIBLE with a 90% dropped call rate and I never got a signal anywhere) but I’m noticing that I barely have 2-3 grey bars on the 4G and then it just switches over to 3G which is what Boost was.

I’m kinda wondering if I should have just stayed with Boost but I hated their customer service to.

Last edited by claudiabette; 08-23-2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: added another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,511,100 times
On my Droid, I have do dismiss the calendar notification for it to go away. There's an option at the top of the entry to do so. With Samsung, not sure since they bork things up a bit with TouchWiz.

As for your data - streaming radio uses data, since it's coming over the internet. It's not a normal FM radio. You either need to turn WiFi on wherever you can to stop using cellular data or don't use the application. Google Play will update apps as need be, you can go into the Play Store settings and set it to only update when connected to WiFi.

Verizon won't cut you off when you hit the limit, they'll just charge you $10 for every 2gb you go over.

For 4G service, if you're in a building/basement, you'll drop down to 3G quicker. I get great 4G service everywhere except inside my house.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM

23 posts, read 29,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
On my Droid, I have do dismiss the calendar notification for it to go away. There's an option at the top of the entry to do so. With Samsung, not sure since they bork things up a bit with TouchWiz.

As for your data - streaming radio uses data, since it's coming over the internet. It's not a normal FM radio. You either need to turn WiFi on wherever you can to stop using cellular data or don't use the application. Google Play will update apps as need be, you can go into the Play Store settings and set it to only update when connected to WiFi.

Verizon won't cut you off when you hit the limit, they'll just charge you $10 for every 2gb you go over.

For 4G service, if you're in a building/basement, you'll drop down to 3G quicker. I get great 4G service everywhere except inside my house.
About the calendar, I don't want it to go away, I want my notifications to actually show up. I have a re-occuring event that happens daily and there is no icon bar notification or sound that goes off when the event occurs even though I have notifications set.

Ok, I've changed the Google Play to not update apps at all. I don't mind doing it manually.

I usually listen to the radio at work and there are no wifi connections here so I may have to give that up. However, when I look at what is using data, the radio is on the top of the list but most of it's use is in the background. Doesn't that mean I'm not really USING it but its sucking up my data?

As for the 4G vs. 3G I guess have only 2 grey bars in 4G is better than 1 grey in 3G which is what I always had with Boost Mobile. Although, I'm noticing that I have grey bars in 4G alot, no matter where I am, a building or outside. Weird.

But thanks for the help. You helped me fix my data settings on the Google Play at least

Last edited by claudiabette; 08-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: need to add something else

Old 08-23-2013, 08:48 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,511,100 times
If you're using streaming audio, it's pulling down data, even if you don't have the app open on screen (background). As for your notifications, if you're not getting them, there's probably a setting borked up. Go into the calendar then go into settings. You'll see General settings, Device Calendar and your email addy. Under General is the notification settings, assuming Samsung hasn't changed anything from the stock Android calendar.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 AM

1,617 posts, read 4,775,277 times
Since it's a daily thing, what about setting an alarm with the alarm clock function as a work around?

And yes, "background" in Android simply means that the app isn't on the screen at the moment. Other then downloading the indexes and descriptions (which isn't much data), TuneIn doesn't use data unless actively playing or recording a stream.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:06 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,463 times
you might want to call samsung and request a distruction manual it's free you just need to give em the imei number off the phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones