U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego
36,708 posts, read 33,192,372 times
Reputation: 21064

Advertisements

I want to add one of my old phones to my plan as a new line as interim till we get "actual" 4G like everyone else. I am hearing they want another two year contract just to add an old phone? Why would I "upgrade" to a contract with phones that can't get 4g? That's ridiculous. If I can't get some added value out of this I'd be an idiot to do it. Am I missing something here? It should add something like 10 bucks a month to the bill last I investigated this. For it's purpose I'd just get a prepaid and leave it at that. They keep "talking" about 4G and it isn't and it's been bumped so much it's a joke.

If Sprint can't go 4G sometime soon in San Diego I'm out!! I've been with them since the beginning but this is nutz if true. Either get the area 4G and I'll go new phones with contract or let me add another old device. Otherwise ATT or Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Reputation: 3076
There are plenty of other cellular carriers (postpaid and prepaid) to choose from in this modern day and age. Why limit yourself to Sprint if their 4G isn't ready for prime time in your market ??

Just because they don't have 4G in your area, Sprint isn't going to let you buy a phone at a discount without a contract.
Quote:
Either get the area 4G and I'll go new phones with contract or let me add another old device. Otherwise ATT or Verizon.
That reminds me of the scene from Blazing Saddles where the town's newly appointed sheriff holds a gun to his head and threatens to shoot himself if the town folk don't stand aside and let him pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
 
Location: San Diego
36,708 posts, read 33,192,372 times
Reputation: 21064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There are plenty of other cellular carriers (postpaid and prepaid) to choose from in this modern day and age. Why limit yourself to Sprint if their 4G isn't ready for prime time in your market ??

Just because they don't have 4G in your area, Sprint isn't going to let you buy a phone at a discount without a contract.

That reminds me of the scene from Blazing Saddles where the town's newly appointed sheriff holds a gun to his head and threatens to shoot himself if the town folk don't stand aside and let him pass.
I'm not buying a phone Capt obvious. I already added a phone line and swapped phones years ago no problem. I want to know if it is still available to do.

The plan I am on is far below any of the other Carriers. It does what I need and I don't want to come off it. My best possible solution is probably a prepaid for the additional line. So, I don't need 4G, I also don't need a contract. I am waiting for their 4G network and hopefully have the same good rates if I renew.

But thanks for zero help thread jumper. That is always appreciated.

Anyone with "knowledge" of the policy care to shoot me some help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
 
7,249 posts, read 5,708,106 times
Reputation: 7963
Could you try explaining clearly and concisely what exactly it is you're wanting to do, without side rants about 4G that you insist you don't need but are nonetheless apparently very upset about not having? Your posts are barely understandable.

Nonetheless, yes, that appears to be Sprint's policy - no additional line without a contract, even if you don't get a discounted device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm not buying a phone Capt obvious. I already added a phone line and swapped phones years ago no problem. I want to know if it is still available to do.

The plan I am on is far below any of the other Carriers. It does what I need and I don't want to come off it. My best possible solution is probably a prepaid for the additional line. So, I don't need 4G, I also don't need a contract. I am waiting for their 4G network and hopefully have the same good rates if I renew.

But thanks for zero help thread jumper. That is always appreciated.

Anyone with "knowledge" of the policy care to shoot me some help?
Your welcome. If you didn't want an opinion, don't ask next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: San Diego
36,708 posts, read 33,192,372 times
Reputation: 21064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Nonetheless, yes, that appears to be Sprint's policy - no additional line without a contract, even if you don't get a discounted device.
Sprint LTE Coverage - Sprint 4G LTE Rollout

Thanks for the reply, see above. My current phone works fine on 3G. It won't work on the new network. I don't want to upgrade to yet another phone that won't work on the new network much the less having to sign another 2 year contract just to add a line.

A Sprint rep confirmed that policy. I'll be getting an additional phone but it will be a pre-paid one from another carrier until the new network is built. That policy is surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'll be getting an additional phone but it will be a pre-paid one from another carrier until the new network is built.
You cannot use anything but a SPRINT phone on their network. Can't be from any other provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: San Diego
36,708 posts, read 33,192,372 times
Reputation: 21064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You cannot use anything but a SPRINT phone on their network. Can't be from any other provider.
Got it. It won't matter to me what backbone it's running on. It will only be used in an emergency in an area with good coverage on all networks. If the official roll out date for LTE in San Diego is pushed way out I will have to decide whether to take the new contract with new phones that will not be 4G or look at another carrier that will be far more expensive.

I'm heading to WM to check out pre-paid phones today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 PM
 
Location: San Diego
36,708 posts, read 33,192,372 times
Reputation: 21064
I walked out the door with a prepaid for 30 bucks. 15 a month card to keep it going. This will work for now no problem.

Thanks all for the advice, ideas and even the "opinions".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,450 posts, read 6,332,666 times
Reputation: 3076
Glad you found something that works for you. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top