U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,466,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For those of you who are curious, the new feature is the largest database of names and fingerprints to ever exist, worldwide.
The news reported that the fingerprint data is locked to the individual phone, not stored in any database, so your statement would be false and inflammatory I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Heard this on NPR and would love to hear how Apple will defy the odds of false negatives with the fingerprint scanner.

I have had this feature on a couple of laptops and even the LG eXpo cell phone. It was abysmal in functionality and virtually pointless.

But Apple wouldnt do something without some serious intent for it to work really well. Like its Maps app.

Key To Unlocking Your Phone? Give It The Finger(print) : All Tech Considered : NPR
Apparently the sensor and technology behind it are very good and have a good track record on devices, so I wouldn't associate the performance from an LG device with expected performance from an Apple device.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Apparently the sensor and technology behind it are very good and have a good track record on devices, so I wouldn't associate the performance from an LG device with expected performance from an Apple device.
I didnt. Methinks your fanboi iBlindfold might be malfunctioning

The fingerprint scanner is not proven yet, but like I said, if Apple does in fact put this in their device, I am sure it will work fairly well.
Now the maps situation was my fun take on their slight miss.

The LG Expo or even various laptops I have used actually had virtually the same hardware (whether you realize this or not).
The software driving the hardware is a different story. At the point in time, I am still not totally grasping what major strides this fingerprint scanner would impact and make things easier for an end user.
"Supposedly" it is to help eliminate remembering tons of passwords and making purchases etc. which really is true to some extent.

How having all of that data stored in a biometric scanner makes anything safer is beyond me, considering all it takes is a finger swipe. The security of the actual scanner itself is suspect if tampered with.

We'll see if it turns out to be a success in the consumer segment. Even if it isnt, they will still sell millions of these phones lol

Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM

I have no idea what an iBlindfold is - something you use to put yourself to sleep with every night?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 PM

4,631 posts, read 9,006,893 times
Quote:
I have no idea what an iBlindfold is - something you use to put yourself to sleep with every night?
Well its...'kind of a big deal'

Back to the subject. This fingerprint gadget is enough to push Samsung to start developing with it as well.

Would be nice if there was an actual security standard for all of these scanners.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Samsung announced yesterday that its next phones will also have 64 bit OS. I guess they'll tell Google to go make that real quick...

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,463 times
the 5 c looks like a glorified nokia. and samsung still has apple beat

Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,657 times
Well my battery was going out on my old phone and I was overdue for an upgrade so I picked up a 5s yesterday. I had a $100 Apple store gift card left over from last Christmas. That combined with the $170 Apple gave me for turning in my old 4s, I didn't pay a dime for the new phone

So far I'm really liking the new fingerprint scanner. It works really well and it's a lot quicker than typing in a password. I ended up replacing my old 4 digit number passcode lock with a ridiculously long legitimate password (think wifi password long) that I luckily never have to type because I just use the scanner instead. I feel like the phone is much more secure now. iTunes doesn't even connect to the phone anymore until it has been unlocked so wiping a stolen phone doesn't seem possible now... or if it is, it's not easy.

I really hope other phone manufactures start incorporating some sort of biometrics too. Maybe that will help deter phone thefts once people get it in their heads that the stolen phone wold essentially be a brick to them.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,967,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
the 5 c looks like a glorified nokia. and samsung still has apple beat
The 5C is just a 5 with a plastic shell and more color options.

I don't get why Apple is even releasing the thing.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
The news reported that the fingerprint data is locked to the individual phone, not stored in any database, so your statement would be false and inflammatory I think.
Apple (and others) have said a lot of things... and they've blatantly lied. There's a very realistic possibility that the NSA will get access to that data: Will NSA Hack Your Fingerprints From Apple's Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor? | Crooks and Liars

I'm not one for paranoia, but I've been caught off guard by the level of access these companies have given to our private data. Hardly inflammatory if you've been paying attention to what's been going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones