U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM

610 posts, read 1,308,176 times

Advertisements

Appreciate any help on this issue I am having with AT&T.

I have a AT&T family plan with 2 lines. As of April, only my primary line had a contract on it with about 7 months left. I also already had my company discount on my account, I have had it for many years.

In May, I went to the store, took my own old phone and wanted a 3rd line added (needed it for someone who was visiting me from overseas). I specifically declined new phones and said I don't want any contracts added or extended. They listened and provisioned a 3rd line. They also asked if I worked for the same company and saw my ID. They provided me with a customer service summary print out at the end. That summary says "0 month" contract on the line added.

Now, 4 moths later, I call to cancel that 3rd line and they tell me that there is a contract on it.

A supervisor I spoke to says, the person at the store when added the 3rd line, removed and re-added my corporate discount for whatever reason... She seemed to agree that was the store's fault. But is asking me to go in person to the store and ask them to fix this!! In short, putting the ball in my court.

Any thoughts on how I can deal with this? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

3,178 posts, read 4,233,007 times
Just what she said: Go in person to the store and ask them to fix this.

Take your printed summary and show it to them when you explain it.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:01 AM
DPK

3,665 posts, read 4,004,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
She seemed to agree that was the store's fault. But is asking me to go in person to the store and ask them to fix this!! In short, putting the ball in my court.

Any thoughts on how I can deal with this? Thx
So go to the store and see what happens. There's no magical website to remove your plan.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
So go to the store and see what happens. There's no magical website to remove your plan.
what do you mean magical website & the sarcasm? In case you are supporting them...they are suppose to fix this on the phone and not have the user deal with the run around. cancelling a 3rd line on a family plan need not be done in store.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM

9,576 posts, read 27,288,196 times
Go to the store. You went to the store to add the third line, so I would go back to the source to address the issue. It will be a much less frustrating experience to talk to a real live person with your paperwork in hand rather than sit on the phone on hold where they will read talking points off to you. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM

12,448 posts, read 22,110,056 times
Back in 2001 I called to add long distance onto my line. This extended my contract thru another year. You can imagine my surprise when the next month I was hit with $140 in long distance charges. Oh but my contract was still extended for 12 months. You eventually learn your lesson with AT&T. Switched to Verizon for 12 plus years I never had a billing error.

I did try AT&T again in 2010 when the iPhone 3 came out. Returned it in 10 days was still charged for the device - $450 dollar phone bill. AT&T has no shame.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,605,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
what do you mean magical website & the sarcasm? In case you are supporting them...they are suppose to fix this on the phone and not have the user deal with the run around. cancelling a 3rd line on a family plan need not be done in store.
Yes, and many times those store folk are nothing more than salespeople and have no clue or power about such matters. I've been told several times by store employees to call customer service. They should've fixedot for you. I'm sorry.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,114,808 times
Good luck! I have a billing mistake on my Verizon acct of $299 and have been passed around since May. I'm so over it and ready to leave them because of this.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,487,113 times
Direct TV screwed me over a few months ago like this as well. I was talked into added a new genie box, but I specifically asked if this was going to extend my contract. The man on the phone said it would not and that he would send everything in writing. I told him if my contract stays the same I will get the new box. They also told me they were giving me a $99 credit for installation. I waited and still didn't get the credit a month later. I called several times (waited forever) and I finally got to speak with a supervisor. She finally admitted that she listened to the tape of my conversation with the other representative and I was indeed telling the truth, but then said she couldn't change it now since it wasn't their policy to not extend the contract if a new box was ordered. I told her I ONLY got it due to the lie I was told. She said she realizes that and she's sorry. She's sorry??

So she basically tells me that they lied to me in order to get my to purchase a new box, but since he shouldn't have said it, there is nothing they can do. She did say that as a courtesy she would refund the $99 installation fee, which was ALREADY supposed to be refunded . These people are insane and there is nothing you can do about it once you signed up short of having to pay even more fines. I got her to finally knock off $10 a month on my coverage for 6 months.

After my contract is up next time, I'll be saying good riddance to Direct TV. Too bad, since I love their sports coverage.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Also found that corporate discounts on like on the base price of the plan. So add-on lines don't get the discount.

Just curious if there is like a customer grievance contact for at&t?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones