U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,362,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I will make this really easy for you. You don't need a contract that ties you into 2 years of service to get a first class phone, if you can agree that you can use and Android phone.

OK where do you get your phone?
Here is a great phone. Shop the site for others.
Orient N3 Plus 2GB RAM 32GB ROM - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Alternative - 5.7 Inch MTK6589 Turbo 1.5Ghz Quad Core Cell Phone GPS/3G

Here is mine.
Goopad N8 -- 8 inch Samsung Exynos 4412 quad core processor Android 4.2 IPS Touch Screen 1280*800 RAM 2GB ROM 16GB 3G/GP from same site

OK, got your phone, now where do you get service.
Right here: Bring your own phone, pick your plan. They are a T-Mobile reseller.
Prepaid Wireless Cell Phone Service, Pay As You Go - PTel Mobile (PlatinumTel)
Did a search on PTEL thanks for the FYI on Orient phone need to due some DD but looks great for money. Do you know of anyone that has one? Some less expensive knockoffs I bought off of ebay had virus/malware from get go have you confirmed this is a "clean" phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM

17,032 posts, read 27,233,326 times
Similar boat...I have an old Motorola Razr phone that I used for some personal stuff and its worn out.

I would like a phone that I can read emails, look up stuff on the internet, texts, take pictures, watch a youtube video on occasion. Im not really a gamer, but if it had the ability to have a couple little games for killing time in airports that would be ok. As for apps, I just use stuff like weather, news, hail a cab, directions, dinner reservations, airplane/car reservations and maybe other things if I find out about them.

Suggestions...I've used ATT in the past and haven't had many problems.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM

17,032 posts, read 27,233,326 times
Well I bought a Nokia Lumina, as (I was told) unlike the Android and iPhone, you can edit Microsoft documents like powerpoint and excel on it. Hope this is true. I get 14 days to decide if I like it.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,302,784 times
The samsung galaxy s4 is good. I just upgraded mine to android 4.3. I almost never have problems with it either.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM

191 posts, read 224,586 times
Wife has a very 'affordable' LG Optimus that I was kinda impressed with.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,198 times
Old thread but Moto G is pound-for-pound the best smartphone you can get for the $$

Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 AM

701 posts, read 994,243 times
To the OP, since you've been pretty happy with the T-Mobile sidekick 4g, why not just get another one, new or used. Probably the best solution all around.

However, if you want to explore the newer options, check out the Google Nexus 5 phone. Other than your requirement for a QWERTY keyboard, micro sd card and replaceable battery, it will probably work great for your needs and budget.

Initially, I had very similar requirements too. But my most important requirement was price and no contract. The Google Nexus 5 is an unlocked Android phone from the get go, priced about $349 for 16 GB (or $399 for 32GB). No contract. Just plug in the right sim card from T-Mobile and go.

With the Nexus 5, I've haven't needed more memory from an SD card. I have books, tons of music and some movies on it. More importantly, I quickly outgrew the "need" for a qwerty keyboard. Most apps seem to be designed for swiping, pinching, point-n-shoot gestures anyway. The battery seems to be holding up great for a full day, with some video watching and music playing along the way.

It's really more phone than I need. I'll probably give it to my son and get the new Motorola Moto G.

The new Motorola Moto G ($199 for 16 GB),seems like an even better deal for my simple needs - web, email, texting, phone, music player, reading books, occasional GPS, streaming Netflix via wifi, logging into the office, etc ... Not the latest and greatest. But just enough for what I need it for.

Review: Moto G isn't the best, but decent for $179

Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 AM

18 posts, read 20,322 times
only me is the HTC one fan? Can not afford it at present...

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTek View Post
only me is the HTC one fan? Can not afford it at present...
It's a nice device, but doesn't have expandable storage or a removable battery, which the OP said they want.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:49 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,740,571 times
Can't believe this is still going.

I literally just (Christmas Eve) ordered a galaxy Note 2. At $20 a month for 2 years and the fact that I'm going to put $100 on it with Xmas money ($480 total) I figured just to go for it.

I've been using my GF's old phone which takes a good minute to load messages and slow as molasses doing everything on it that it isn't worth the stress anymore over $20 a month for constant daily BS anymore.

It has no physical keyboard, but whatever. Life is short, I'll get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or