Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times

Advertisements

Anyone else get a Nexus 5?

If so, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I don't have it. Right now, between the LG G2 and Nexus 5 for my next phone. Advantage Nexus 5? Cheaper. Advantage LG G2? bigger battery. That's really the one area the Nexus 5 is lacking, needs more battery.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM

208 posts, read 819,708 times
I'm using it with T-mobile, I enjoy it. I've only bought the Nexus line of phones starting with the Nexus One, but I did skip the Nexus 4 last year. Keep in mind that it uses a micro-sim; I had to call T-mobile customer service first to let them know that I needed a new sim. The stores kept telling me that it was....I think $10 for a new one.

I called beforehand and there wasn't a charge. Of course, I'm not sure if your'e going to use it on T-mobile, but I wanted you to know that just in case.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
A colleague got one and thought there were better choices on the market. I felt the build quality was not as good as the 4. Felt cheap. I would get the Google Experience HTC One over the 5 or just stick with the 4 if you have it, unless you really need the LTE or love having the latest Google updates.

G2 is very nice, but also has their SW customization on it. Which is tough to compare with on a vanilla Android device.

Besides the Google aspect of the phone, I dont think there was anything standout about it.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
I have one. This is my third Nexus phone and my favorite, so far. Probably the best 'bang for your buck' smartphone you can get. Stock Android getting updates first, top-of-the line processor, ram, and arguably, screen. The downsides being a so-so camera, mediocre battery, and no expandable memory. But to have all that for $350 off contract is tough to beat.

I'm also quite a tinkerer and love putting custom roms and whatnot on my phone. I never really liked HTC's sense, Samsung's Touchwiz, or other manufacturer overlays on the OS.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
I'm using it with T-mobile, I enjoy it. I've only bought the Nexus line of phones starting with the Nexus One, but I did skip the Nexus 4 last year. Keep in mind that it uses a micro-sim; I had to call T-mobile customer service first to let them know that I needed a new sim. The stores kept telling me that it was....I think $10 for a new one.

I called beforehand and there wasn't a charge. Of course, I'm not sure if your'e going to use it on T-mobile, but I wanted you to know that just in case.
I have Sprint and no one knew what I was talking about. "Sim card? What's that?" "You mean a SD card?" "No, a sim, like what goes in a handful of your company's models, such as the three different phones sitting right there *points over*" "Oh.... uhhhh... we don't have that."

It was rather infuriating spending multiple hours getting my hands on a little piece of plastic.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I have one. This is my third Nexus phone and my favorite, so far. Probably the best 'bang for your buck' smartphone you can get. Stock Android getting updates first, top-of-the line processor, ram, and arguably, screen. The downsides being a so-so camera, mediocre battery, and no expandable memory. But to have all that for $350 off contract is tough to beat.

I'm also quite a tinkerer and love putting custom roms and whatnot on my phone. I never really liked HTC's sense, Samsung's Touchwiz, or other manufacturer overlays on the OS.
Yes, based on the price, I would have to agree that looking at this device in terms of value, it cant be beat in the Android eco system.

Hopefully this 4.1.1 update improves the camera algorithms. I was really looking forward to that rumoured Nikon tech set up they were supposed to have with the 5.

Best with the 5!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
I've had my Nexus 5 for a little over a month now and I love it. Tough to find another phone you can buy unlocked that is as good as the Nexus 5.

Only drawback for me would be the camera. Word is that Google is working on a software fix to help to situation out.

I had the 4 and I actually like the 5 better overall and in terms of build quality. LG really did a solid job with it. Has a premium feel to it.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I've had my Nexus 5 for a little over a month now and I love it. Tough to find another phone you can buy unlocked that is as good as the Nexus 5.

Only drawback for me would be the camera. Word is that Google is working on a software fix to help to situation out.

I had the 4 and I actually like the 5 better overall and in terms of build quality. LG really did a solid job with it. Has a premium feel to it.
That's great. I love hearing when people rave about their devices. You should be seeing the 4.4.1 rollout which has camera update OTA if not now within days.
if you force to check for updates in settings you might see it pop up

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

When some T-Mobile vendors were allegedly charging $10 for the micro sim card, my friend literally cut-n-shaved his T-Mobile sim card into a micro sim card and it worked fine. A few months later, when I got my own Nexus 5, I just walked into the T-Mobile store in the mall and they gave me a freebie. Smart of T-Mobile to give it as a freebie, rather than risk losing folks to AT&T prepaid.

As for the Nexus 5, so far, it's been excellent for my simple needs. Pure Android phone, unlocked and open, Google Marketplace, etc.... What's not to like? Excellent price when compared to getting a vendor-locked android phone loaded with vendor crapware with a 2 year contract.

In fact, it's too much phone for me. I don't use it enough. I'm giving it to my son and getting myself a cheaper Motorola Moto G (maybe wait for Android Kitkat).

Combined with the unlimited T-Mobile plan, which is pretty good in my area, I can't complain. Totally happy with the Nexus 5 and T-Mobile. We've cut down our family cell phone bill to at least half what we had when we were on subsidized phones and a 2-yr contract.

Thank you Google and T-Mobile for making it possible to save money and the freedom of getting away from the vendor contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones