Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,454 times

Advertisements

Im sure this has been done before, but I need some help.

I have a t-mobile sidekick 4g as of now. Well I think it has finally died. I'm going to try to fix it, but it is several years old and I doubt it will work again. Too many times sitting under clothes while I take a shower I guess. Lesson learned.

This is how I have been using my current phone. I use it for everything. I have no laptop, desktop, or tablet. Im literally on my GF's Tablet now since my phone won't work. I google stuff on it, watch YT videos, download different PDF files.....anything you name it. From ordering pizza to checking my yahoo mail to finding the tax form I need and emailing it to the printer to be printed off. A few months ago my laptop's screen died and have been using my current phone for everything. I doubt I will ever go back to using a laptop or tablet on a normal daily basis.

So with that being said. The phone has to function well. Not freezing every time you open an app or popping the battery 2x a day to restarting it. I literally do it everyday with my current phone. I get it.....things happen. But if I'm throwing out half a grand or more it shouldn't be freezing in 4 months.

Price.....I hate to spend $700 or more for a phone. I'm pretty frugal. I love sticking it to the man and making my own yogurt or fixing my own car with my dad when the repair shop quoted me $1900. With such a high price tag I would need AT LEAST 2 years out of it. My current phone was my brother's old phone so it was free. This 24 year old isn't trying to impress anyone. I just want something that works for me....Joe Schmoe can get whatever he wants.

Camera.....forget about it. I might have 50 pictures on my phone after 1.5 years. 40 of them were probably sent to me. While the five of them might be true legit pictures taken by me and the other five are "butt pictures". I'd rather save that $100 price and not even have one. I do understand though that pretty much all phones have some type of camera. I do like the light on the fancy phones though.

Operating system.....I like android. Not into the propriety crap. I would budge though if it had everything else I wanted though I guess.

I looooove my side flip QWERTY board! From what I have seen though most of the side flip qwerty boards are dysmall unfortunately. I'm not sure if I like the front keyboard like the newer blackberries. I like them.....but then the screen looks small.

I love my larger screen and my GF has the Galaxy S4. It seems huge.....but I could deal with it. I don't want to look like an idiot with a 9 inch phone to my head.....then again I rarely talk.....so bigger is better I guess.

Battery isn't a huge deal. I like the ones where I can actually change the battery if need be....not the ones where I can't even open the back. Also it has to have a slot for storage. My current phone has several micro sd cards of storage.

I guess a phone that would be functional for as many everyday tasks as possible besides the useless camera function that I never use.

Also is there anyway to hook up a smart phone to a monitor. Just to make it bigger really. That would be a nice function if possible.

Another thing we have tmobile. So it would have to work with the network obviously. Quite a long post.....but this in my opinion would be an investment for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM

17 posts, read 20,391 times
2 year contract AT&T iPhone 5S

Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort2 View Post
2 year contract AT&T iPhone 5S
The 5S is a nice device, but no expandable storage, no swappable battery, and smallish screen are clearly downsides for the OP. Not sure why you recommended AT&T when the OP specifically mentioned that they use T Mobile. It's like you didn't read the OP at all before responding.

I would look at the HTC One (really nice, but no swappable battery or SD slot) and probably the S4 if Android seems like the way to go. Despite the drawbacks of the iPhone, I'd still consider it if you can get past the storage and lack of swappable battery, purely for the responsiveness and better app quality.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,604 times
samsung galaxy s4 it has a swappable battery and micro sd card slot as well

Old 10-02-2013, 07:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post

This is how I have been using my current phone. I use it for everything. I have no laptop, desktop, or tablet. Im literally on my GF's Tablet now since my phone won't work. I google stuff on it, watch YT videos, download different PDF files.....anything you name it. From ordering pizza to checking my yahoo mail to finding the tax form I need and emailing it to the printer to be printed off. A few months ago my laptop's screen died and have been using my current phone for everything. I doubt I will ever go back to using a laptop or tablet on a normal daily basis.
It is for these reasons you list above that I'm actually going to suggest to you that you splurge a little on price and size, and actually get the Note III.

You said later that while you don't want to hold a huge slab to your head, you said you really don't talk much on the phone so size isn't really that much of a deterrent. You're not going to get a computer/laptop/tablet anytime soon and literally do "everything" on your phone. The Tablet III has the screen real estate to make full-time computing much more comfortable than many other phones if you're using it for everything, plus the pen and various features built into it make it a bit more like a mini-computer than other phones.

It's worth considering, anyway. T-mobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...xy-note-3.html

Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,454 times
I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S Relay. It has a qwerty board. I cant stand this typing on the screen crap.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The 5S is a nice device, but no expandable storage, no swappable battery, and smallish screen are clearly downsides for the OP.

Despite the drawbacks of the iPhone, I'd still consider it if you can get past the storage and lack of swappable battery, purely for the responsiveness and better app quality.
I switched from an S3 to a 5s and went with the 64GB. Storage problem solved... I have 500 songs, 18 full length movies and still have 20GB free on the phone.

I'm not noticing any battery issues and quite honestly I think the 5s battery is quite nice... I've already tested it. 8 hours at work idle it went from 100% to 82%... 8 hours of idle that included 3 hours of music plus a 2 hour movie took my battery to 53%.

Not a problem for me. My S3 wasn't this good on battery power... it may have been due to the year old battery though.

I've already gotten used to the smaller screen. Yes the S3 and S4 have a nice screen size. Do I miss it? Not really. The 5s fits in my front pocket a whole lot better too... LOL

Lovin' iOS7...

First iPhone and I'm glad I switched.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,270 times
Sad that they make you pay $200 extra for 30 bucks worth of storage space :\

Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Sad that they make you pay $200 extra for 30 bucks worth of storage space :\
Resale value makes up for it.

I'll sell this phone next year for enough to get the 64GB version of the next iPhone for free when I upgrade in September.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,082 times
I will make this really easy for you. You don't need a contract that ties you into 2 years of service to get a first class phone, if you can agree that you can use and Android phone.

OK where do you get your phone?
Here is a great phone. Shop the site for others.
Orient N3 Plus 2GB RAM 32GB ROM - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Alternative - 5.7 Inch MTK6589 Turbo 1.5Ghz Quad Core Cell Phone GPS/3G

Here is mine.
Goopad N8 -- 8 inch Samsung Exynos 4412 quad core processor Android 4.2 IPS Touch Screen 1280*800 RAM 2GB ROM 16GB 3G/GP from same site

OK, got your phone, now where do you get service.
Right here: Bring your own phone, pick your plan. They are a T-Mobile reseller.
Prepaid Wireless Cell Phone Service, Pay As You Go - PTel Mobile (PlatinumTel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones