U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
well there kicking apples arse . kinda funny years ago i bought a sony vcr not cheap eathier. i opened it up and i swear the whole inside was made by goldstar another crap name. you never know who makes what
the sunglasses industry is even worse I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,018,870 times
Quote:
yep everyones dumping the iphone for the s4 and note 3. take that apple
I dumped my S3 for the 5s. After 3 weeks I'll say without a doubt that I am 100% happy with my first iPhone. It syncs with iTunes, Apple TV, my laptop, AND my AirPort Time Capsule.

I don't even miss the bigger screen. iOS7 is very smooth and user friendly.

Did I mention with the fingerprint ID I don't have to type my 4 digit code or swipe some pattern every time I want to unlock the phone? That alone made the upgrade worth it... not to mention the compatibility with other Apple products.

Quote:
well there kicking apples arse .
9 million phones sold opening weekend... Yeah... Apple is going under.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not a fanboi. I've always said Apple's products were overpriced... and they are. But they make quality products and I don't mind paying for quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sheesh...

$12.75 on EBay. Free shipping
Used.
Hot Pink.
Ballistic SG Shell Gel Series Protective Case Samsung Galaxy s III Pink Black | eBay

And that little baby is mine. All mine!
It's a great case. You can feel better about dropping your next S3.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,773,640 times
No. Leo LaPorte "The Tech Guy" has used all of the recent high-end phones, and has called the Samsung Galaxy S4 "a piece of junk." He doesn't care for the Samsung software, which takes up a ton of storage space on the S4's internal storage.

I tend to agree, but not because of the software as much as the hardware. It feels like a plastic toy compared to most non-Samsung phones. Also, don't ask me why, but Samsung phones tend to do more poorly than others on Verizon's network for reception. It was a common complaint on the Verizon versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Nexus. I can personally vouch for the poor reception on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus--had one for awhile, went back to my Thunderbolt because of frustrating reception issues. Poor reception is not as common a complaint on the Verizon S4, but the past doesn't exactly inspire confidence. (You can find all kinds of complaints if you search the web for "Verizon reception Samsung.")

I'd have to recommend the HTC One, the Moto X, or one of the new Motorola Droids, which run the same processor and software as the Moto X inside different shells with different screen sizes.

The HTC One is an extremely well built, well engineered piece of hardware. It's solid. You can put it in both hands and try to flex it and twist it, and it just isn't going to happen. (Don't try that with the S4 or you'll crack the glass!)

Then there's Motorola. While they don't possess the brick-like aluminum shell of the HTC one, they're more solid than Samsung's phones. The Moto X is built in the USA--possibly the only smartphone that can make that claim--and the Droid Maxx offers the longest battery life in the business. Motorola is also known for excellent reception on Verizon's network.

Personally I just bought a Motorola Droid Maxx, and I LOVE it! It has about 50% more battery capacity than the average smartphone, and it's AWESOME. (And coming from the Thunderbolt, which has one of the shortest battery lives in the entire history of smartphones, it's so nice not to have to find a place to plug in three times a day.)

Old 10-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Just be careful with the G4. I dropped my phone from ~3 ft up and it put a hairline crack in the screen. Thing is flimsy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You could say the same thing about every other phone with a glass screen on it. Hardly ONLY a Galaxy thing.
No, they're flimsy. Looking at teardown photos on a certain DIY repair site, the design of the S4 clearly relies on the "Gorilla Glass" screen for much of its structural rigidity.

The HTC One, by contrast, relies on its metal shell.

But don't take my word for it. Look for drop test videos on You-Tube. Yeah, all of them can break, but Samsung really doesn't look so hot compared to the HTC One and iPhone 5.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM

371 posts, read 845,390 times
hi guys which galaxy s4 do you have? I mean like the hdd, ram and how do you use it? what apps etc. I am thinking about getting one not sure about the spec that I want.

what can be upgraded in the phone? hdd, ram, others?

Do you guys have trouble carrying it? it's bigger than older phones do you guys have trouble sitting down when it's in the pocket? or walking around, jogging a little bit.

I will use it for GPS in the car, watch twitch stream sometimes. go online of course, possible to watch movie with it huh? but screen probably too small maybe just some small videos and youtube. any suggestions would be appreciate thanks guys.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,486 times
Phones don't have hard drives, they all have 2GB RAM and internal storage doesn't really matter cause you can just add a micro SDHC card to it if you need more.

Go to the store and try it out, hold it, be one with the phone. Only you can decide if it'll be right for you.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 AM

The Galaxy S4 comes standard with 16 GB of internal (non-removable) flash storage memory (in usage, flash memory works like a hard drive, except with no moving parts). I believe that 32 GB is available, but that configuration is not nearly as common.

The S4 also accepts a Micro-SD card for expanded (external) storage, but Android OS can't use external storage in the same way as it uses internal storage. Think of it as the difference between your PC's C: drive (with Windows and all your installed programs), and an external hard drive that you plug in to the USB port (where you might store data such as photos, music, videos, and Word files, but you wouldn't install Office or Photoshop on it).

The HTC One and Droid Maxx come with 32 GB of internal storage (which can be used for data as well as installed programs), but they don't offer a Micro-SD card slot, so that's a trade-off.

The Moto X, Droid Ultra, and Droid Mini come standard with 16GB of internal storage--and also no Micro-SD card slot, which is unfortunate with only 16 GB. The most popular model of iPhone gets by on 16 GB though, so...

While it's impossible to say with certainty which configuration is best for any given user, it's easy to argue that 16 or 32 GB of internal storage is adequate for the majority of users, and therefore support for external memory cards is not necessary. Google seems to agree with this line of reasoning.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 10-19-2013 at 01:15 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 04:17 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,064,424 times
I decided to buy a flagship on T-Mobile about two months ago. I looked at the S4 and HTC One and decided the One was the one for me. Haven't regretted it for a second. For anyone considering going that route, cover the camera lens with your hand and open the camera app. Some units have issues with pink/purple noise under low light conditions.

Even if you want to use a microSD card, the lack of a microSD card slot isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. There are now microSD card readers that plug into the charging port.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,830 times
ok ok. since i upgraded to my note 3 i like that battery life much better than the s4 as by almost the end of the day id'e have to charge it up again vs my note 3 where i can go a few days before charging it and thats talking and surfing the web as well as my note 3 feels more stable and not like some plastic pice of crap though i had my s4 in an otter box case so i really couldn't tell how flimsy it felt untill i took it out of the case

Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,568,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Do you think I will like it? I have never bought a samsung before so I have no experience with them.

thanks for any opinions.
Well, no one can tell you if you will like it or not.

Quote:
i'll put it this way people are dumping there iphones for the samsung galaxys as samsungs kicking apples ass
Eh, I only know of one person who went from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4. It seems more popular amongst those that I know to have gone from an SIII to an iPhone 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Thanks for the input. I hate bloatware, it's annoying to me. On my HTC thunderbolt it wouldn't allow me to even delete it so it was always on the phone, but I just didn't utilize any of it.
First, it depends on what you consider bloatware. If you mean SMS, email, maps, etc....than all phones have bloatware. If you mean third party and/or carrier based, then you either need to get a Nexus (which I hear will have bloatware with the next phone), disable the app which should remove the thumbnail, but it will still take up physical space on the RAM, root your phone, or install a script (non-root) to forcibly remove the bloat. Of course I am only speaking of Android here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Not a fanboi yet... I've always said Apple products are overpriced... but they are of very high quality so I can live with it. I don't really miss the bigger screen size... and the iPhone fits much better in my front pocket than the S3.
This is a topic for another forum...but...in my opinion the best time to have been an Apple fanboi was pre-2006. Maybe 2007. Apple products work "best" with other Apple products because not only is that what they are designed to do (makes sense, right), but also because that is what Apple wants you to do. Blackberries are the only other phone that I can think of that synchs as nicely with Apple products as the iPhone does without the need of a third-party app.

By the way, how do you like Apple TV? Most Mac fanbois (note: Mac....not Apple) think it is a silly product...and have since it was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
A wise purchase!
This is not directed towards you, but, I still do not understand how people who own what are essentially $700 or so devices are so careless. Yes, accidents happen, I am just of the opinion that people should be more mindful of their phones instead of simply relying on a case for piece of mind. Also in my opinion is that this is more indicative of American culture as it seems cases used by Europeans and Asians tend to be more truly of an accessory (you know, like making your phone look like a cute frog) than it is for protection. Or they use flimsy cases that protect against scratches and nothing else.

Once again, no attack on anyone....just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
the sunglasses industry is even worse I think
If I remember correctly, something like 80% of the sunglass companies and perspiration eyeglass companies are owned by a single Italian company.
:[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones